New York Public Interest Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Blair Horner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learning better communication skills (in 9 reviews)

• You learn A LOT of great communication skills and visit many places in NY (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and heavy workload but that's what it takes to make social change (in 9 reviews)

• Likely to have to go door to door during normal business hours at residential areas, so unlikely to get a hit (in 5 reviews)

1. "The truth about NYPIRG"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working NYPIRG is an amazing experience. It's a wonderful way to gain interpersonal communication skills, effective public speaking practice, and involvement in community outreach. Each office is different but the basic structure remains the same. It's a really laid-back work environment and completely commission based but if you come to the skills-training workshops run my management each day you shouldn't be concerned about making quota. In reality, they're not ever going to fire you for not raising enough money but they will suggest you attend the workshops to sharpen your skills. I really loved my time here and it looks amazing on resumés and applications, everyone always asks about it and there are so many different ways to spin the benefits and experience to fit different situations. Overall, I would recommend working here. It's mostly college kids and your colleagues will be awesome. I have made lifelong friends here. Also– once you work here for 90 days you're eligible for health care benefits and vacation days, and if you live in NYC after 30 days you're eligible for transportation benefits so that your metro card is a little cheaper each month (it's taken out pre-tax from your paycheck)

Cons

Honestly, there is little to no opportunities for upward movement. Unless you're a phenomenal canvasser right at the start of the season there's little chance of being promoted. The salary positions are extremely limited and very selective. The hours are extremely long and tiresome, but worth it if you love what you do. While working here your life basically becomes NYPIRG; you eat, sleep, breathe outreach. At times management can be shady and not reveal the whole truth to situations so it can feel a little ingenuine but they do deeply care for their employees, it's just a tactic they use to maintain motivation across the office. I really didn't have any free time at all, only on the weekend and I was usually so tired I just wanted to lay in bed all of the time.

Advice to Management

Make sure your staff feels appreciated. We don't like being misled and we definitely don't like the use of "carrots" to motivate us to do things when there's no actual possibility of it coming true.

2. "canvasser"

Pros

great experience, great on a resume

Cons

pretty challenging work, demoralizing at times

3. "RESEARCH AND ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU ACCEPT JOB"

Pros

Great causes and great work for the people of New York

Cons

Extreme lack of transparency and no concern for safety of workers.

Advice to Management

Transparency

4. "It was okay"

Pros

the interviewing process was easy and quick

Cons

the only way you get paid is by convincing strangers to fund whatever campaign your working on at during that time. If you don't get enough "clients" they eventually let you go

5. "Great environment but challenging conditions"

Current Employee - Outreach Director
    Current Employee - Outreach Director

I have been working at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting, fast paced, well proven grassroots campaign. A great place to get your feet wet in the fundamentals of community mobilizing.

Cons

Long hours and an often thankless job from upper managment

6. "Good job if you don't want to make money/get paid"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Rochester, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were nice, and they stand up for the environment.

Cons

• commission based, you work 40 hours a week, 8 hours a day, with no clear image of meeting quota, which is $160 dollars a day, or $800 dollars a week. If you don't meet said standards, you don't get paid.

•training consists of 3 hours of shadowing, then you are brought to a neighborhood alone to go make money-no further training was given.

•people mock and berate you all day long, I never made even a dollar. Most people were very hostile and rude.

•you are canvassing, which means you go door to door asking people for their money

•I didn't work there long, it's definitely not a good job for those with empathy, social anxiety, or anxiety in general.

•I quit about 3 and a half weeks ago and still have not gotten paid, they are inconsistent and seem to lie about paychecks.

Advice to Management

Put the time into actually training employees. 3 hours of shadowing and throwing them to the sharks is kind of setting people up for failure, which is why I think so many people quit.

"NYPIRG is a great organization but don't work here if you need to make money"

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are great, ambitious, and interesting. Everyone is friendly and its a really good work environment because people are passionate about their cause. Obama did it apparently.

Cons

It is commission based, therefore, if you don't sell membership then you walk home with nothing and basically wasted 8 hours of your day that you could have used to actually make money. Basically you walk around to people's personal homes during dinner time and sell membership to NYPIRG which is 365$ and you earn 38% of that which is pretty good. But this requires public speaking skills, being comfortable with showing up to peoples houses, and being comfortable with getting doors slammed in your face. also you work from 2-10 pm, which means you don't have time in the evenings to go to the gym or grab dinner.

Advice to Management

n/a

"NYPIRG"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Albany, NY

Pros

Very fun place to work. Managers and team members bond by going out to parties every Thursday and eating lunch together everyday.
    You also learn a lot about environmental issues and get to do positive work.

Cons

rain or shine you're outside.
    Commission based pay with no case pay

9. "This Job is Great if You Can Manage the Balancing Act"

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time

Pros

Great way to get your foot into the door of political organizing. It is great on your CV to know how to canvass and fundraise. Your oral communication skills become killer thanks to the amount of time you spend talking with everyday people about issues such as the environment and social justice.

Cons

The work / life balance is non existent as a CD. 5 days a week plus every other Saturday. My days were 14 hrs long and as a result of not sleeping and eating right since I spent all my time out on the road working, my health suffered severely and deteriorated.

10. "Best experience ever! Positively life-changing place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredibly valuable learning environment
    Rewarding, fascinating work
    Great colleagues
    Dynamite source of professional development
    Highly effective model for social change

Cons

Long hours and heavy workload but that's what it takes to make social change! And it's a fun place.

Advice to Management

Keep at it!