New York Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

New York Public Library Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and the only thing that grows in that place is impatience (in 14 reviews)

• No room for advancement, could be boring for some (in 5 reviews)

1. "children's librarian"

Current Employee - Librarian in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Librarian in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Supportive Staff.

Cons

Offbeat working hours. Long commute

"What A Place..."

Former Employee - Librarian Information Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Librarian Information Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for part timers and hourly. Great job for people currently in school. Also good for those who enjoy stable, predictable day to day work. It is a very decent first job and the best take away are the great people who you get to meet and work with.

Cons

This review was long overdue but in short, NYPL has come such a long way DOWN from it's glory days. They expect employees to do way more for a lot less! Low pay and the only thing that grows in that place is impatience.

They have effectively kicked out 85% of dedicated, seasoned librarians and managers to bring in new "bottom line driven" managers who obsess over branch stats and will stop at nothing for them.

On the other side of the coin you have lazy employees who manage to screw the system and their coworker's in the process. The Union is the biggest punchline to the joke with Union reps who actually WORK in HR. SMH.

NYPL truly needs a reality TV show with all the internal organizational politics they have. But if oh how the funders who freak if they knew the going ons behind the public doors.......

Advice to Management

Get it together!

"Event Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, benefits, historic building, access to great public events, easy commute due to location, well known tourist attraction

Cons

Low pay, little room for advancement, too many "lifers" just waiting for retirement, constant change with who the office should report to

Advice to Management

Give credit to those who have been there a long time and have opinions on how things might improve; think outside the box

"Library Clerical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Vision, Dental, Health, Vacation, Sick Pay

Cons

There is NEVER opportunity for growth, for people of color. The low pay will keep a person in poverty, with inflation.

Advice to Management

Give ALL people a chance. Offer on-the-job training. Post realistic job requirements only.

6. "Volunteer"

Current Employee - Information Desk Assistant in River Edge, NJ
    Current Employee - Information Desk Assistant in River Edge, NJ

I have been working at New York Public Library (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with and great to enjoy organization's legacy.

Cons

I am not technically an employee, so I see things with rose-colored glasses.

7. "Ticket sales/box office customer service"

Current Employee - Hospitality Consultant in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Hospitality Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet many interesting people in a beautiful library. Get to meet famous authors as well as actors and celebrities.

Cons

There are no downsides to working this job

Advice to Management

none

"Typical Boring Non-Profit Admin Job w/Bitter Supervisor"

Former Employee - Communications Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Communications Associate in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time

Pros

I got to work with some of the most important people in NYC directly after graduating from college. Attended all planning meeting for exhibitions, alongside expert curators, artists, and academics from all over the world. Worked alongside other colleagues in supervisory position who acted as mentors to me when it was clear that my supervisor was incompetent and abusive. Set up the first ever marketing campaigns with major media agencies to promote special branches and exhibitions at the main library. Left at five, but my supervisor would always ask why I was leaving--even though I was done for the day, the rest of the office had left, and I didn't get OT.

Cons

Had a verbally abusive supervisor who made my first job experience awful. I was called "green" when I actually was green (I began my job two weeks after graduating from undergraduate). My supervisor would constantly tell me that I was doing things wrong, but she would never tell me what she actually wanted. However, every other supervisor that I worked with also had issues communicating with her, empathized with me, and I was thrown a party when I left less than six months after beginning. I've since found out that she was fired and that she went though three subsequent associates. HR did not help me or place me in another position. Instead they contacted my supervisor when I notified them that I was being verbally abused on a daily basis (less than two months after beginning). Obviously, this made things awkward between my supervisor and I.

Advice to Management

Understand that entry level employees have only had experience as interns and that if you are not able to cultivate a relationship with an outside vendor as a professional with twenty years experience, the problem might be the vendor or you, not the intern. HR should also speak with other supervisors that work alongside a person that has been said to cause a harmful work environment--had HR spoken to my colleagues in other departments that I worked alongside, but did not directly report to, they would have learned that the problem was not me, but that the problem was my manager who caused tension while working with other managers as well.

"Information Assistant"

Current Employee - Information Services Assistant in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Information Services Assistant in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation and benefits. Being around books. Working with children. The hours are not bad, 35 hour week. Union job and they help you if needed,

Cons

They are hiring managers that are very lazy. They take the job for the title. If you are new to the system and you did not start as a Page and work your way up, you are and never will be part of the clique. Too much favoritism. There are managers that have their best friends as their staff. It is a joke! If you are over 30 years of age you are treated very badly.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly. Upper Management take a good look at the Branch Managers and have them go for diversity training. Instead of surveys and staff appreciation days, make sure all workers are treated fairly without discrimination of AGE!

"Enrichment Zone Tutor"

Current Employee - Enrichment Zone Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enrichment Zone Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library part-time

Pros

Working at the library is a great way to share your love of learning with lots of different people. Folks come to the library for a lot of different reasons. I worked with students in the Library's Out-of-School Time programs. I specifically worked in the branch libraries in the Bronx. I really loved helping a student learn something new, or to help them overcome their academic challenges.

Cons

People think if you work at the New York Public Library you work at the iconic 42nd Street branch in mid-town Manhattan. That is not the case. Part of the challenge of working at the library is educating people that the library is spread across the entire city. This is not a con, per se, but it is important to be an ambassador for all of the library's locations. All the branches, while serving the library as a whole, are unique and have their own culture, layout, programs, demographic, and goals. So if you start out at one branch, being relocated to another branch can feel like working for a different company. It is a great way to grow and learn how a great library system can be successful and effective.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring employees who love learning and public service.

"Page"

Former Employee - Library Page in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Library Page in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice library, looks good on your resume. Nice people, not all of them, but some of them

Cons

Not enough hours and no pay raise for years. Waste of time

Advice to Management

Show people that work there that you care