New York Sports Club Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Giardina

Pros
Cons
  • low pay; minimum wage is inadequate for what's expected at the front desk since you're not just there to scan people in (in 16 reviews)

• Front desk staff is often left to handle the entire gym for most of their shift ( for minimum wage pay) (in 15 reviews)

"Just Don't"

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are a trainer or group fitness instructor – it's flexible – that's probably about it.

Cons

you are a trainer or group fitness instructor – it's flexible – that's probably about it. Everyone is miserable. Trainers and teachers were all thrown off healthcare at the end of 2016. Even the people who do well financially and have benefits and full-time jobs are miserable. I don't know one happy person at this company.

Advice to Management

Wise up. Everyone is unhappy. Oh and PS – when you throw us all off healthcare – don't take the deduction during the first pay period of the new year. It makes you look like jerks. It makes you look like you don't know how to run a business. Which I think is the answer to the question. You're going to be closing more clubs in the next year – tell people – let us all know that not complete transparency – but give your employees a heads up that they are about to lose their jobs.

2. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Membership with Employment, and co-workers are all friendly.

Cons

Minimum Wage pay, under average gym, and management is not necessarily the best.

Advice to Management

While I was employed some issues caused by management were blamed on me and were also talked down upon multiple times without correct reason. When decided to leave was told I had to reconsider my priorities because I didn't take hours they wanted me to work even though I was currently a student and taken classes during those shifts.

3. "Honestly, HORRIBLE Company!!"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work life balance
    -Most holidays off

Seriously...if you're looking for a managerial/leadership position...steer clear! This will be long (sorry)

Cons

Horrible salary, No compensation, No company vision, Lack of job security, Company is beyond underhanded and dishonest to employees and members, No set operating procedures, high turn over in all sectors, No room for advancement, Male dominated (and salaries based on gender), Horrible benefits (medical, dental, 401k).

Upper leadership is appalling and will change policies to best suit their agenda!!

Accountability lacks unless you're on their "radar", No consistency, Horrible support for club maintenance, Non existent HR support, Manhattan/Westchester/CT locations in disarray Technology deficient, No recognition, NO RAISES OR APPRAISALS!

There is NO recognition for general managers or their employees especially within my district. The female GMs are paid significantly less than males. It's really fun being responsible for signing off on payroll and realizing the salary gap. Great job as always NYSC!!!

*Company takes NO ACCOUNTABILITY- they are absolutely responsible for every short coming but lack the integrity to take responsibility!!! In turn, they sweep their high employee turnover rate under the rug, and hire outside applicants (and pays them more than people that have been there for years that are loyal) instead of trying to build the talent already within the company. 80% of the time they waste money and time on training because once these "outside applicants" realize the direction of the company and the compensation, they jump ship- I will be following suit shortly, I tried to be loyal, for way too long, to a company that shows utter disdain for their employees and members.

Advice to Management

-Living in lower Westchester County, NY...WE CAN BARELY MAKE BILLS AND SUPPORT OUR HOUSEHOLDS WHILE WORKING OVER 40 HOURS A WEEK AND RUNNING A CLUB, it's absurd! Some of us have stuck through the company through its horrible growing pains and receive no incentive to stay. This company does ANYTHING not to pay. This is why NYSC loses most of its actual talent- we go to companies that pay accordingly.

-Get some vision and stick with it, Create clear operating procedures and stop making us guess!
    Had high hopes for the new CEO but it's obvious that until the upper leadership (VP) which has not improved the company in ALL the years she has held position is eliminated..they will just keep chasing their tails. **MAYBE you should hold accountability at the top- if anyone was SO UNSUCCESSFUL in their position for even a fiscal quarter they would be on the chopping block (again the company has no regard that the issues occurring are 100% a reflection of their lack of overall structure) but a VP has clung to their job for over a decade with no success. This company brings true meaning to "Crap runs downhill".

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

N/A. There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Absolutely worst company I have ever worked for. There is no sense of care or appreciation for the workforce. You are treated as replaceable whether you are a District Manager, General Manager, or a part time line-level representative. There is no sense of direction as the company changes "strategies" every couple weeks. And when I say "strategies", I mean different ways to cheat and under appreciate paying members. There is no support staff for the field as they are rather happy with offering what is easily the worst service I have ever seen. Employees are told they have commission and bonus potentials and the criteria for qualification. However AFTER the month is complete and you have technically qualified for the commission or bonus, you are told that the criteria has changed and you no longer qualify. The company encourages you to underhand members and then turns on you when their decisions cause issues. Absolutely horrible company. I have previously worked for Petco and Best Buy and NYSC is an absolute disgrace. This company has no sense of ethics, morals, or direction. They will fail and it is only a matter of time as they forget the most important things: Employees and Customers/Members.

Advice to Management

Read above.

"Cheaply run company"

Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time

Pros

Little to no real challenge. You meets some really nice people along the way, free membership.

Cons

Firstly, there is NO MORE COMMISSION. We got no notice either, one day we just stopped getting commission on our bi weekly check dispute what we sold, that being said pressure to sell has not eased.

There's a revolving door of management ( 3 at my gym in less than a year). Front desk staff is often left to handle the entire gym for most of their shift ( for minimum wage pay). And we are scheduled so that we are alone on purpose to save on payroll which is annoying when you need to go to the bathroom, or have breakfast ( for openers).

Favoritism runs rampant. While openers don't have the luxurary of calling out last minute or being late with out severe consequences ( they alone are responsible for opening the gym everyday) . Midday employees and closers are held to a much more lax standard. Openers should be paid more to reflect their increased responsibility.

Advice to Management

Pay your opening employees accordingly. You get what you pay for, and minimum wage won't be enough of an incentive to have someone opening your gym at 5am every morning alone. Especially during bad weather or New Year's Day. And get rid of the stupid towel charge, whose gonna pay $2 for a used towel that is bearly rinsed between uses? Also the guest cards are a waste of time, as most people use fake info to avoid follow up calls.

"Lead trainer/ Fm"

Current Employee - Fitness Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fitness Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can train in any Nysc once you get promoted .

Cons

Company is always changing and they went public

Advice to Management

The people that run the company should have a exercise science degree. They always hire outside the company with no experience in fitness. Stop cutting people, they are the foundation of fitness. T

"membership sales"

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time

Pros

free gym,free classes,thats about it used to be great but company is going down hill all the money goes to the BD's who do nothing

Cons

cutting peoples hours,no more commission,do more work than you are paid

Advice to Management

cutting corners ruins the experience for memebers

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slightly flexible with schedule
    Some good locations
    Some good people
    Free membership after 3 months

Cons

No one cares about helping you
    No one prepares or teaches you if you are just starting out
    Most of the management/ other trainers are completely self absorbed and only care about sales and money
    Must work a minimum amount of hours
    Must attain a minimum number of paid training sessions by selling memberships
    No sales job training
    More of a sales job than a personal training job

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the new trainers. Put more effort into setting them up for success than putting them down and pushing them to make sales

"Horrible experience, do not work for them!!!!"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Deer Park, NY
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Deer Park, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership (gym had more machines and classes as compared to my old gym)
    Flexible hours
    Most coworkers were friendly and helpful

Cons

Last minute changes to schedule (asked to work with an hour's notice, and not being notified when your relief called in sick)
    Lack of communication between staff and management
    Management was never available for guidance

Advice to Management

Do your job and care about your employees.
    Good work was never praised.
    Management scolded staff for not completing work that was not part of job description.
    Notify employees about staff meetings instead of assuming that the word will spread by itself. (I was fired when my CPR expired because my boss failed to tell me when the free certification class was held)

11. "Membership Consultant"

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Smithtown, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Smithtown, NY

Pros

Free gym membership and clean facilities.

Cons

Manager cultivated a negative work environment among employees. He was not respected by a single employee during my time there and would refuse to take responsibilities for his mistakes or shortcomings.

Manger was unhelpful when approached for issues that clearly fell under his responsibilities. Would constantly neglect issues.

Outdated marketing model. Most of your time will be spent sticking flyers under peoples windshield wipers or calling guests who have already explicitly stated they are not interested in membership.

Low pay. Commission structure is constantly changing without warning.

Advice to Management

Get a new GM for this location