New York Times Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

2.0
Mark Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance - however lots of amenities to make up for it (in 27 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

"Troubled Sales Management"

Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clearly a great brand, career advancing name recognition

Cons

sales management (particularly in the fashion & retail categories) seem completely out of touch with industry & digital trends. A sense that sales management team has only worked in print media for decades without any real digital experience. Few-to-no respected client or agency relationships relying on account management team to do very senior heavy lifting on their behalf. Mean-spirited and highly political environment that's driven by fear of significant ad revenue losses quarter-over-quarter.

Advice to Management

Look toward digital native, skilled and well-respected sales management leadership to motivate capable account management/ sales team but establish credibility in the ad marketplace.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are honestly some very warm, competent teams at the Times which care about their craft and teammates.

The Web Development group are a great group of people who care about what they do and are able to help others learn as well.

Nobody ever gets fired

The Women In Tech organization strives to create a group that allows you to always find a place to feel included (note that does not mean a culture of inclusivity, just the presence of a separate group). You'll generally be able to find some group to accept you provided you don't come from a lower socio-economic bracket.

Cons

The culture is extremely political with people generally trying to take everyone down to rep their own brand.

Management will not care about your concerns because no one wants to deal with drama. They'll instead focus on more straightforward initiatives that lead to quick successes so they can improve their visibility.

The technology organization plans many greenfield initiatives that go nowhere, mostly because of a lack of cohesive cross-team collaboration and a very political culture that results in no forward movement.

Professional growth is hard to find, considering turnover is so high and underachievers end up being promoted to leadership positions. When you find someone to grow and learn from, stick to them like glue.

Advice to Management

Improve the culture at the Times. Identify toxic and highly political people and remove them from the organization.

Work on improving actual diversity at the Times rather than just Women or ensuring you have the right ratios of people with different skin tones.

Disagree and commit on initiatives. Blocking on everything you don't understand pushes back deadlines and results in hastily-made, last minute deliverables that don't meet the standards or promote longevity.

3. "not fun"

Former Contractor - Staff Writer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Staff Writer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

the prestige, excellent editors, decent cafeteria

Cons

bureaucratic backbiting, inconsistency of direction from management

Advice to Management

best thing they ever did was get rid of Jill Abramson

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work/life balance, fair vacation time.

Cons

Favoritism is a severe problem

Advice to Management

Pay attention to exit interviews.

"Many are jumping ship at T Brand, but Main NYT Digital thriving"

Former Employee - Audience Development Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audience Development Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cafeteria, compensation, office building. If proactive, you can learn a lot and have access to brilliant people and opportunities.

Cons

Organization is slightly 'messy'
    - 3 bosses in less than three months.
    - Team was moved and re-classified four times.
    - Transparency and sharing of information is lateral, instead of from top - down.

Advice to Management

Transparency, communication, and teamwork should be encouraged and exemplified by managers.

"Not the best place for IT professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very well respected Brand name;
    Journalism that make you proud of its social contribution;
    Smart people to work with;
    Location;

Cons

This is the place you want to work for if you are a journalist.IT is not the best department to work in.
    Print industry is struggling to stay alive and there are job cuts and tight budgetary restrictions in every department.

"MySQL Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Nice 401K matching contributions
    +Located close to Bryant Park, so summer lunches are always pleasant
    +Discounted visits to museums & near by restaurants.
     +Out of lets say 100 employees( 20 are brilliant and awesome to work with , 40 are decent engineers, and the rest are pretty much slackers who are really good at playing politics and protecting each other) You will find different reviews given the different departments you work for throughout the company.

Cons

+NYT kitchen was not free of cost like most companies in Manhattan.
    +As Technologists we could never work from home. That privilege was only used my senior management at their own discretion.
    + Micromanagement to the max by senior management.( working climate is based on fear and intimidation)
    + Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work.
    + One on Ones were all meant to scapegoat everyone into working even longer hours. Instead of talk about career advancements or current work situations.
    +Managers have superiority complexes to say the least, and will never admit mistakes. Nor will they acknowledge good work.
    +Managers seem to be at their position without any merit and based solely on political ties, Even though so many of us have come and left our roles. ( 6 of us to be exact within the course of a year)
    +Joining New York Times as a MySQL Database Administrator has been the worst mistake of my career
    +Upper management lacks clear technical vision, and not knowledgable on technological advancements.
    +My Experience at NYT taught me nothing technically i didn't already know, I felt technically in a state of stagnation

Advice to Management

+ Change your managers or you will loose your workforce. New York Time is a nice company but has a propensity of choosing horrible managers.
    + Change your senior management culture. Train your managers to be better managers or replace them.
    + Make sure the role of managers and team leads are not held by the same person.
    + Choose your team leads based on merit, not politics, or ethnic backgrounds.

"Oracle Database Administrator"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location wise: it is in the middle of the city, and that's about it.
    Hopefully ill be able to say that I'm from NYTimes in my next job interview and get a salary hike, because at this point thats all this company is wort.

Cons

Horrible Management from the ground up. The Manager that i have to work with for my team is absolutely non professional, he curses screams and shouts any time things get critical. He Assigns un realistic deadlines.

I believe this manager has a personality disorder. He has lost countless more than 10 DBAs in less than 2 years so far. Both MYSQL , ORACLE and MSSQL DBAs across the board. He is not a team player and scapegoats his employees for his shortcomings.

I am stuck here until my Visa clears and there ill be out of here as soon as possible.

Salary is below average here as well for the amount of man hours we all put in.

When it comes to technology, NYTimes uses the cheapest solutions that cant handle the I/O operations that is required for an optimally performing database. As a DBA accepting this position has been by far the worst mistake in my career.

Advice to Management

Stop Silo style management, and stop promoting people in management roles when they clearly have personality disorders.
    Stop Protecting managers who clearly are not up to the task of performing their duties objectively.
    Stop using Agile methodologies as a way to micromanage employees.

"Great journalists, bad managers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time

Pros

Lots of amazing journalists doing great work.

Cons

Lots of bad managers who lack vision.

"Even its world class content may not survive its thoroughly disappointing management."

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (Less than a year)

Pros

The integrity, clarity and quality of The New York Times's content and products is something anyone would be proud to represent. The ultimate impact of this brand is to accurately inform society, and that's an agenda I passionately stood behind.

Cons

I can't speak for the newsroom as I hadn't worked there directly, but many of the other business units I've worked with and in are caught desperately in bureaucratic chaos. Major, recent leadership changes at the top have inspired panic among middle and upper managers, rather than a cool confidence (in their work and their people) that you would hope to see in this situation. The mentality that now exists encourages the people actually doing the work to keep quiet, keep their heads down, and to simply do the work without question. Needless to say, this diligence is not born out of a happy dedication to the work, but rather a growing dissatisfaction in the quality of the work they're asked to produce, disappointment that prospects for promotion and personal success are now few and far between, and a real fear of losing one's job. It may be worth noting that the HR department also seems to be caught in this greater issue; it has no apparent influence over most management related issues (similar to those described above). I have heard more than one colleague recall a time they reported an issue to HR only to be met with impatience and indifference, and a general attitude that is close to saying "you're lucky to even be here, deal with it or go somewhere else."

But for a deeply established brand like The New York Times in this rapidly changing technological landscape, it would make far more sense for the internal work environment to be one that encourages and empowers people to consider how their work will impact the greater whole that is The New York Times brand and its competitive success in the marketplace. Managers who support, protect and invest in their teams will find much greater success in their work and a genuine respect and recognition for themselves. But if the trust equity within the company continues to diminish, especially between its teams and their managers, the company will find itself in a difficult situation that it may not soon recover from.

Advice to Management

In a perfect world, those in management should inspire us to be better - better at understanding our work, better in taking ownership over our work, better in the way that we work with others, and possibly even to be better people. If you're not treating others, especially your own teams, with even close to the same level of integrity and respect that you say The New York Times brand deserves... then what's the point?