New York Times Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

3.7
Mark Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 24 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work (in 5 reviews)

• Software developers don't have much role in product decision making (in 8 reviews)

1. "Career goldmine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Recognition and prestige. Your work shown to millions of people daily (with your name in the byline!)

Cons

It's a lot of work. Sometimes weird hours, fast deadlines and not much vacation time.

Advice to Management

Push more interesting ways to discover information online

2. "The New York Times"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Being proud of a good product. The relationships which are created.

Cons

Waiting for upper management to understand and remark about your achievemens.

Advice to Management

Do not detach yourself from your teams. Become familiar and a apart of everyday activities.

"A challenging environment with exceptional colleagues"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

Pros

This is a company that believes in it's journalistic mission as a means of enriching society. It's important and it is great feeling that you are a part of that. In the NYT you get to work without many technologies covering latest 3rd party APIs, internal APIs, EC2, PHP, JavaScript, mobile (iOS, Android), internal CMS, feed services and more. Colleagues are sharp, good natured and great to work with. Management within software group are themselves software devs. Depending on your project you get to collaborate with editorial and build one of the largest news sites on the planet. Finally, there is an active roadmap to harnessing developer ideas and using that to drive innovation on the web site and within the organization.

Cons

Nothing worse that what you'd expect at other companies and would learn to navigate around. Product and Ad people try to get last minute features included after requirements freeze. Sometimes there are too many people at too many meetings (easy to avoid once you recognize they don't need to be there). As the company continues its push to digital first/print second there are a number of depts from print side that are struggling to stay relevant and thereby attaching a voice to projects they don't need to be in. Again, avoidable once you realize this.

Advice to Management

Listen to your developers more. Send more devs to conferences as advocates. Arrange more social events. Continue to foster the culture of innovation that you have begun. On a larger note, cut the fat if you are serious about the business. Lots of big meetings with people who add nothing to them or the company. You're splintering focus with both editorial and software having people on "emerging platforms" etc who don't talk or know of the other. You're afraid to fire people on editorial side so instead you promote them out or promote horizontally out which is still damaging.

"Fabulous place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Smart people, best news organization in the world. Terrific opportunities, sad that the revenue model for the industry is broken.

Cons

Not always a meritocracy. Can be sludgy and bureaucratic. Would be helpful if people switched jobs more often to change perspectives.

5. "An enjoyable experience with lots of flexibility and room for creativity."

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

knowledgeable colleagues
    teamwork
    freedom and autonomy
    lots of places to visit and eat.
    surrounded by plenty of contacts to complete projects

Cons

there is an expensive commute from New Jersey.

Advice to Management

none

6. "I learned about Project Management and Software Development"

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    Extensive Digital Department
    Innovative and Collaborative Environment

Cons

No complaints that I can think of. Only worked there for six weeks.

"A place you can believe in."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NYTimes has smart people, purpose, good salaries, and one of the best work environments in NYC. Most of all, you can spend your days here and come home to sleep at night. Working at NYTimes makes the world a better place.

Cons

It's a big company. All of the big company cons apply -- you will never own this place.

"Best brand in the world"

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's no better platform or calling card fo a journalist than the New York Times. There's an enormous amount of pride walking into an office every day with the paper's name on the door.

Cons

It's difficult to support a family on the pay and the pace.

9. "Wonderful Internship Experience"

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

access to great, informed people; access to wonderful resources; the cafeteria is AWESOME

Cons

I did not find many cons for the Company. I think it's a great place to start or continue your journalism career

10. "THE BEST COMPANY I ever worked in !!!"

Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the New York Times Company as a summer trainee in '11 and I must confess this was by far the best company I ever worked in. I was summer trainee in Internal Audit, everything was really great. HR was almost perfect really present, training was done the best way I've seen and can figure out... It was in New York Offices and we had Freedom to work as much and move or learn. We met most of the teams... Anything you can imagine, was great in a word.

Cons

No idea. Honestly. Probably the financial situation of the newspaper? This was shortly before Jane's dissmissal.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get money ; useless advice as they probably starve to reach this aim right now.