New York Times Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York Times New York City Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

New York City, NY Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 24 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work (in 5 reviews)

• Software developers don't have much role in product decision making (in 8 reviews)

"Great place with amazing people, but some tough aspects"

Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is filled with great people who are all very smart. It can be a great place to start projects and collaborate with the best in the business.

Cons

Hierarchy is sometimes unclear, and what makes it possible to find opportunities can also make it difficult to get things done. Managers at the company definitely play favorites and don't have much loyalty to employees. Frequent rounds of lay offs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your human capital, and recognize that the people who keep the wheels turning are as important as the super stars. Career advancement opportunities are hard to find at the NYT and that is why so many smart people leave.

"The good, the bad, and the union."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on the résumé and it introduced me to a lot of new technologies my previous job did not. Also met some great people.

Cons

The department is mostly lifers and are rotten people that take advantage the balkanized hierarchy. The boss is not interested in developing talent because there's no room to grow and the slackers are protected by the union.

Advice to Management

Document and follow through with separation, you can't be afraid to discipline people for subpar performance or work ethic.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's the best, most important newsgathering operation in the world. It will survive after most other newspapers fail. The company is public but governed by the Sulzberger family, who take more pride in the product than they do in the share price.

Cons

It's a newspaper, so margins are thin and it's still in the midst of adapting to the new online world. If you're not a journalist, working in the newsroom can be a little depressing because you're surrounded by lots of passionate people at the top of their craft, while you're shuffling paperwork.

Advice to Management

The newsroom would benefit significantly from inviting more business-minded people in to help run News Administration. While I get the whole church-state separation thing, journalists are not the best equipped people to run things, so the administrative managers should be promoted for their managerial talent, not just for their journalism successes.

"Oracle Database Administrator"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location wise: it is in the middle of the city, and that's about it.
    Hopefully ill be able to say that I'm from NYTimes in my next job interview and get a salary hike, because at this point thats all this company is wort.

Cons

Horrible Management from the ground up. The Manager that i have to work with for my team is absolutely non professional, he curses screams and shouts any time things get critical. He Assigns un realistic deadlines.

I believe this manager has a personality disorder. He has lost countless more than 10 DBAs in less than 2 years so far. Both MYSQL , ORACLE and MSSQL DBAs across the board. He is not a team player and scapegoats his employees for his shortcomings.

I am stuck here until my Visa clears and there ill be out of here as soon as possible.

Salary is below average here as well for the amount of man hours we all put in.

When it comes to technology, NYTimes uses the cheapest solutions that cant handle the I/O operations that is required for an optimally performing database. As a DBA accepting this position has been by far the worst mistake in my career.

Advice to Management

Stop Silo style management, and stop promoting people in management roles when they clearly have personality disorders.
    Stop Protecting managers who clearly are not up to the task of performing their duties objectively.
    Stop using Agile methodologies as a way to micromanage employees.

5. "Amazing Place"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The mentors you get here are at the top of their game. They give you a no nonsense environment and treat you like equals. Experiences gained here are far beyond entry-level stuff. Although you would still be doing intern work (like you should be), you will be given plenty of opportunity to do your own projects and work collaboratively with other interns and faculty. Not only do you have guest speakers from within the company to dig you deep into to the world of News Media, you can also very easily walk up to other members on staff and ask them for tips and tricks too.

Everyone is very friendly and the facilities are amazing (especially for Starbucks bookworms),

Cons

I really can't think of a con for this place. I think the second interview was a sidewinder though. Interviewing through video recording felt extremely impersonal.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of or improve your second interview. Thank you for allowing me to see my career path so much more clearly.

6. "Photo Editor"

Former Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY

Pros

work with the smartest people around - lots of resources.

Cons

the company moves very slowly to implement new ideas

Advice to Management

implement ideas faster

"Media Company in a Digital World"

Former Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (More than a year)

Pros

visionary leadership, balance of work/life, maintaining the company mission

Cons

leadership unwilling to give time for new business to grow and produce result,

"Corporate Communications Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's pretty amazing to work at the New York Times Company because of all the talent in one building. Whether you are working on the business side or down in the newsroom, you will constantly be inspired by the innovative and important work happening around you!

Cons

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of room for career growth and salaries are quite low for entry-level positions. This is only problematic because NYC is so expensive.

Advice to Management

I would focus on career development and invest in employees a bit more. I think this would enhance young employee retention.

9. "sales"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

everything i learned to get my feet wet in the cooperate world came from The Times. Everything I did there was stepping stones to becoming more successful.

Cons

i just wish a positioned had opened up or me when i was interning at the time. Other then that the Times is another great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Take a long time to advance to a managers position due to the fact that availability only comes when a senior personnel retires or gives up the desired position and then i would be able to apply for it.

10. "Big and the best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

New York Times employees are generally highly skilled, committed and proud of their service. The product is basically incomparable in the news business.

Cons

The New York Times is very big, and it is possible to easy to get lost there, professionally, if no one is looking out for you.

Advice to Management

Stay true to standards while keeping up with the latest trends. The Times offers a depth of content that no one else offers, and it's good to continue to appreciate that.