New York Times Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York Times New York Reviews

Updated October 9, 2017

New York, NY

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 25 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

"Graphic Designer"

Current Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is better than you'd get elsewhere. Atmosphere is improving since they hired a new Exec Creative Director and Sr VP of Branding in my area. They are hiring more people to handle the workload, not laying them off. People are generally happy. Less of a "factory worker" mentality there now than when I first started. Creative process is improving throughout the department, meaning that internal clients are no longer dictating creative to art directors and designers. They are being encouraged to present their marketing creative challenges to the creative department, and then designers are allowed to do what we're trained to do, i.e. come up with a creative messaging solution for the problem. And if overtime is required to get the work done, there is no issue. Hourly pay here is definitely higher than elsewhere. In that regard, I feel lucky to be working here straight out of design school.

Cons

Some internal clients are stuck in old ways and still dictating creative/design choices to their designers. There are no performance reviews for contract/freelance designers, so you have to guess how you're doing by the assignments you're getting. Some designers will get pigeon-holed into certain types of assignments when they are capable of doing more. The entire design staff in my department is contract/freelance. I don't know of one single staff designer. After you've been there over a year, you'd think they'd want to encourage you to stay.

Advice to Management

to Marketing: Step up and bring some art directors and designers on as staff. You already treat us like employees according to IRS and Dept of Labor standards. We should get the same benefits. Keep improving the creative process and encouraging the internal clients to allow us to find new and more creative solutions for their marketing campaigns. More mentoring opportunities among designers and art directors would be helpful. Pair us up more often. We work better in teams.

2. "Review NY Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (Less than a year)

Pros

Get hands on news business in the real world

Cons

Very Challenging. Many things are very short noticed and needs quick reaction.

"Best job/company ever"

Former Employee - Consumer Marketer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consumer Marketer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest people I've ever worked with, experimental environment, incredible brand, fun colleagues. A strategic, communicative, down-to-earth CEO. A family that cares about journalism and the work environment.

Cons

So many smart people that everyone had opinions. This meant decision-making was about consensus-building, and thus slow. But I think management understood, and it was getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to empower front-line managers to make decisions, in order to be even bolder and move even faster.

"Revolving door, bad leadership, lots of diversity exits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products, world in class news, great journalism.

Cons

There's been recent changes in HR leadership who have very little to no respect for tenured current employees. There are changes in Technology leadership where there are mainly white males and no room for women or diverse tech leaders. Mass exits in the recruitment teams and technology teams this year. It used to be a great place to work but leadership is making changes to create what they think is valuable but are focused on short term gains as opposed to looking at long term value and a lot of loyal employees are getting trodden on, in the process. There are better places to work and it seems like a lot of our employees are finding better companies to move to.

"Many are jumping ship at T Brand, but Main NYT Digital thriving"

Former Employee - Audience Development Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audience Development Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cafeteria, compensation, office building. If proactive, you can learn a lot and have access to brilliant people and opportunities.

Cons

Organization is slightly 'messy'
    - 3 bosses in less than three months.
    - Team was moved and re-classified four times.
    - Transparency and sharing of information is lateral, instead of from top - down.

Advice to Management

Transparency, communication, and teamwork should be encouraged and exemplified by managers.

6. "Amazing place to work, even in tech."

Current Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong, independent tech organization within the company. We service amazing work and have a major hand in the delivery and innovating for our audience.

Cons

Sometimes things move slowly and sometimes things move super quickly. Sometimes things happen out of know where but sometimes we have plenty of time to plan...

"Fun and interesting but political"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of interesting problems to solve. And lots of extremely smart people to solve them with. Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself.

Its also nice genuinely believing in the mission of your company.

Cons

Very political. "You can switch to any team" but you have to know someone in a high enough place who likes you enough to make that happen. In higher positions you'll spend more time solving organizational problems than creative / technical problems.

There's also a money crunch.

Advice to Management

Think less about how to "win" against other departments and more about how to make a great experience for users.

"Digital Media Planner"

Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to grow, well paid.

Cons

Too much politics. Support team is treated as second class citizens, often excluded from company Christmas parties and events.

Advice to Management

Know the work that your team does, so you can be an effective help. There is a huge gap.

"Former Marketing Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had several jobs in the Marketing dept at The Times over the course of several years. I found the company to be filled with highly-qualified, intelligent and savvy folks. It's an established, professionally run organization that's struggling to keep up in the digital age. Though to their credit, while they may be slow to adapt to the quickly-changing media landscape, they move forward with very smart, calculated, and well-executed decisions.

Cons

There's a lot of layers here. Getting something approved can take weeks if not months. Promotions seem to be few and far between, and only given to a chosen few. Some under-qualified employees move up the ranks very quickly, while others are consistently looked over.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of long term, dedicated employees.

"Bad management, high turnover"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times (More than a year)

Pros

- The NYT brand on your resume
    - Association with high quality journalism
    - Smart people in newsroom

Cons

- Highly political structure, cliquey culture, backstabbing
    - Constant rounds of layoffs, talented staff quitting
    - NO career progression: unless you're in the golden circle of the right people
    - Salary not in line with industry, poor company benefits
    - Lack of senior management direction, favoritism

Most backwards company I have ever worked for. Senior management remain by legacy and don't have the capacity to make decisions, provide leadership or resources to teams.

Talented people end up leaving with frustration at lack of support from management. Arrogant directors openly push that you should be grateful to work for a distinguished brand.

No development plan for employees; work hard and expect no rewards.

Career suicide, the prestige of the NYT reputation alone is not enough. Only recommend as a place to work if you're a first jobber, experienced professionals should steer clear!

Advice to Management

Get rid of layers of ineffective management, retain the employees that actually produce outcomes.

Treat staff better as they are the backbone of the organization.