New York Times Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York Times New York Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

New York, NY

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 24 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work (in 5 reviews)

• Software developers don't have much role in product decision making (in 8 reviews)

"News assistant"

Current Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times part-time

Pros

Stability, intelligent atmosphere, innovative culture. Prestige. Union benefits. Global influence.
    The newsroom atmosphere is supportive, inspiring, and always demanding the best.

Cons

Internal mobility can be terribly limited. The company, like many, seems to deal in a star system, where a few people's words are golden, and others' analyses can go unnoticed.

2. "News Assistant"

Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great experience in journalism and solid training.

Cons

Downsizing and restructuring environment so job stability is lower than it should be.

"MySQL Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Nice 401K matching contributions
    +Located close to Bryant Park, so summer lunches are always pleasant
    +Discounted visits to museums & near by restaurants.
     +Out of lets say 100 employees( 20 are brilliant and awesome to work with , 40 are decent engineers, and the rest are pretty much slackers who are really good at playing politics and protecting each other) You will find different reviews given the different departments you work for throughout the company.

Cons

+NYT kitchen was not free of cost like most companies in Manhattan.
    +As Technologists we could never work from home. That privilege was only used my senior management at their own discretion.
    + Micromanagement to the max by senior management.( working climate is based on fear and intimidation)
    + Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work.
    + One on Ones were all meant to scapegoat everyone into working even longer hours. Instead of talk about career advancements or current work situations.
    +Managers have superiority complexes to say the least, and will never admit mistakes. Nor will they acknowledge good work.
    +Managers seem to be at their position without any merit and based solely on political ties, Even though so many of us have come and left our roles. ( 6 of us to be exact within the course of a year)
    +Joining New York Times as a MySQL Database Administrator has been the worst mistake of my career
    +Upper management lacks clear technical vision, and not knowledgable on technological advancements.
    +My Experience at NYT taught me nothing technically i didn't already know, I felt technically in a state of stagnation

Advice to Management

+ Change your managers or you will loose your workforce. New York Time is a nice company but has a propensity of choosing horrible managers.
    + Change your senior management culture. Train your managers to be better managers or replace them.
    + Make sure the role of managers and team leads are not held by the same person.
    + Choose your team leads based on merit, not politics, or ethnic backgrounds.

"Not a friendly place to work at ..."

Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (Less than a year)

Pros

the reputation of the company

Cons

The management in Infrastructure is the worst I've ever known. They are cold and clueless, and apparently indifferent to the turnover going on all around them. Perhaps the management believes they can rely on the reputation of the Times alone to acquire and retain talent, but the number of people leaving does not support this fallacy.

They are so quick to criticize you for mistakes, but fail to mention a thing about the good work you do. They create a climate of fear and intimidation, and yet are so obtuse as to believe that their draconian policies will win the support and loyalty of their employees.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Start treating the employees in Infrastructure like human beings rather than numbers. This might put a stop to the exodus of talent from your company.

"The good, the bad, and the union."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on the résumé and it introduced me to a lot of new technologies my previous job did not. Also met some great people.

Cons

The department is mostly lifers and are rotten people that take advantage the balkanized hierarchy. The boss is not interested in developing talent because there's no room to grow and the slackers are protected by the union.

Advice to Management

Document and follow through with separation, you can't be afraid to discipline people for subpar performance or work ethic.

"Great place with amazing people, but some tough aspects"

Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Journalist in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is filled with great people who are all very smart. It can be a great place to start projects and collaborate with the best in the business.

Cons

Hierarchy is sometimes unclear, and what makes it possible to find opportunities can also make it difficult to get things done. Managers at the company definitely play favorites and don't have much loyalty to employees. Frequent rounds of lay offs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your human capital, and recognize that the people who keep the wheels turning are as important as the super stars. Career advancement opportunities are hard to find at the NYT and that is why so many smart people leave.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's the best, most important newsgathering operation in the world. It will survive after most other newspapers fail. The company is public but governed by the Sulzberger family, who take more pride in the product than they do in the share price.

Cons

It's a newspaper, so margins are thin and it's still in the midst of adapting to the new online world. If you're not a journalist, working in the newsroom can be a little depressing because you're surrounded by lots of passionate people at the top of their craft, while you're shuffling paperwork.

Advice to Management

The newsroom would benefit significantly from inviting more business-minded people in to help run News Administration. While I get the whole church-state separation thing, journalists are not the best equipped people to run things, so the administrative managers should be promoted for their managerial talent, not just for their journalism successes.

"Oracle Database Administrator"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location wise: it is in the middle of the city, and that's about it.
    Hopefully ill be able to say that I'm from NYTimes in my next job interview and get a salary hike, because at this point thats all this company is wort.

Cons

Horrible Management from the ground up. The Manager that i have to work with for my team is absolutely non professional, he curses screams and shouts any time things get critical. He Assigns un realistic deadlines.

I believe this manager has a personality disorder. He has lost countless more than 10 DBAs in less than 2 years so far. Both MYSQL , ORACLE and MSSQL DBAs across the board. He is not a team player and scapegoats his employees for his shortcomings.

I am stuck here until my Visa clears and there ill be out of here as soon as possible.

Salary is below average here as well for the amount of man hours we all put in.

When it comes to technology, NYTimes uses the cheapest solutions that cant handle the I/O operations that is required for an optimally performing database. As a DBA accepting this position has been by far the worst mistake in my career.

Advice to Management

Stop Silo style management, and stop promoting people in management roles when they clearly have personality disorders.
    Stop Protecting managers who clearly are not up to the task of performing their duties objectively.
    Stop using Agile methodologies as a way to micromanage employees.

10. "Amazing Place"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The mentors you get here are at the top of their game. They give you a no nonsense environment and treat you like equals. Experiences gained here are far beyond entry-level stuff. Although you would still be doing intern work (like you should be), you will be given plenty of opportunity to do your own projects and work collaboratively with other interns and faculty. Not only do you have guest speakers from within the company to dig you deep into to the world of News Media, you can also very easily walk up to other members on staff and ask them for tips and tricks too.

Everyone is very friendly and the facilities are amazing (especially for Starbucks bookworms),

Cons

I really can't think of a con for this place. I think the second interview was a sidewinder though. Interviewing through video recording felt extremely impersonal.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of or improve your second interview. Thank you for allowing me to see my career path so much more clearly.

11. "Photo Editor"

Former Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY

Pros

work with the smartest people around - lots of resources.

Cons

the company moves very slowly to implement new ideas

Advice to Management

implement ideas faster