New York Times Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Thompson

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 24 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work (in 5 reviews)

• Software developers don't have much role in product decision making (in 8 reviews)

1. "Journalist"

Former Employee - Journalist in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Journalist in Norfolk, VA

I worked at New York Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, solid core values

Cons

long hours, high stress, workflow

2. "Left Amid Major Business Shifts"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible work for anyone who believes in the mission of NYT and the value of credible, thoughtful journalism. Effective cross-functional collaboration.

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic, somewhat late to the party on many digital media trends (this has since changed to my understanding)

3. "Assistant - Marketing"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. Incredible opportunities to learn from others.

Cons

To many meetings. Not enough time to actually work sometimes.

"Still the best, but..."

Former Employee - SENIOR DIGITAL EDITOR in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SENIOR DIGITAL EDITOR in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great resources, brilliant co-workers, nice building, best editors on the planet

Cons

Difficult to stand out, promotions don't come easy, some in charge out of touch with day-to-day activities

Advice to Management

Do more to develop and retain digital talent

6. "Overall a good place to be"

Current Employee - Online Store, Associate Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Store, Associate Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great work life balance, progressive mindset on the world, deep belief in the companies mission, and C-Level management keeps you in the loop

Cons

Though the leader, the industry itself is diminishing. Also, hard to progress career and move up through the company.

Advice to Management

Thought steps have been made, continue to strive for greater career opportunities

7. "Great company reputation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Innovative, leader in field, usually fair, recognized globally, financially sound.

Cons

Several individual departments are mis-managed.

Advice to Management

Empower staff.

"Graphic Designer"

Current Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is better than you'd get elsewhere. Atmosphere is improving since they hired a new Exec Creative Director and Sr VP of Branding in my area. They are hiring more people to handle the workload, not laying them off. People are generally happy. Less of a "factory worker" mentality there now than when I first started. Creative process is improving throughout the department, meaning that internal clients are no longer dictating creative to art directors and designers. They are being encouraged to present their marketing creative challenges to the creative department, and then designers are allowed to do what we're trained to do, i.e. come up with a creative messaging solution for the problem. And if overtime is required to get the work done, there is no issue. Hourly pay here is definitely higher than elsewhere. In that regard, I feel lucky to be working here straight out of design school.

Cons

Some internal clients are stuck in old ways and still dictating creative/design choices to their designers. There are no performance reviews for contract/freelance designers, so you have to guess how you're doing by the assignments you're getting. Some designers will get pigeon-holed into certain types of assignments when they are capable of doing more. The entire design staff in my department is contract/freelance. I don't know of one single staff designer. After you've been there over a year, you'd think they'd want to encourage you to stay.

Advice to Management

to Marketing: Step up and bring some art directors and designers on as staff. You already treat us like employees according to IRS and Dept of Labor standards. We should get the same benefits. Keep improving the creative process and encouraging the internal clients to allow us to find new and more creative solutions for their marketing campaigns. More mentoring opportunities among designers and art directors would be helpful. Pair us up more often. We work better in teams.

"Fun and interesting but political"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of interesting problems to solve. And lots of extremely smart people to solve them with. Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself.

Its also nice genuinely believing in the mission of your company.

Cons

Very political. "You can switch to any team" but you have to know someone in a high enough place who likes you enough to make that happen. In higher positions you'll spend more time solving organizational problems than creative / technical problems.

There's also a money crunch.

Advice to Management

Think less about how to "win" against other departments and more about how to make a great experience for users.

"Digital Media Planner"

Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to grow, well paid.

Cons

Too much politics. Support team is treated as second class citizens, often excluded from company Christmas parties and events.

Advice to Management

Know the work that your team does, so you can be an effective help. There is a huge gap.

"Former Marketing Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had several jobs in the Marketing dept at The Times over the course of several years. I found the company to be filled with highly-qualified, intelligent and savvy folks. It's an established, professionally run organization that's struggling to keep up in the digital age. Though to their credit, while they may be slow to adapt to the quickly-changing media landscape, they move forward with very smart, calculated, and well-executed decisions.

Cons

There's a lot of layers here. Getting something approved can take weeks if not months. Promotions seem to be few and far between, and only given to a chosen few. Some under-qualified employees move up the ranks very quickly, while others are consistently looked over.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of long term, dedicated employees.