New York Times Reviews | Glassdoor

New York Times Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work life balance, I only work more than 40 hours a week when I'm so excited about what I'm doing that I can't help myself (in 24 reviews)

• Work with really smart people who are passionate about journalism (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work (in 5 reviews)

• Software developers don't have much role in product decision making (in 8 reviews)

"Dont Do it"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Getting rid of older workers. Investing future of company and it's survival in twenty-somethings.

Advice to Management

value performance

2. "Great Delivery job!"

Former Employee - Delivery Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at New York Times part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got 10 cents a copy for distributing the New York Times on my college campus, about $80 a week. Great money, effective organization.

Cons

Sometimes drop off from the Denver Post was inconsistent or late and I would have to be in class by the time I had to drop them off.

Advice to Management

None. Overall really great job, really great interview, really great money. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good part time job who doesn't mind waking up early.

"Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I loved working with great people at the New York Times. It made the experience great.

Cons

Sometimes there would be lack of communication between me and the other people I was working with. This made the job a bit tough.

Advice to Management

N/A

"News assistant"

Current Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times part-time

Pros

Stability, intelligent atmosphere, innovative culture. Prestige. Union benefits. Global influence.
    The newsroom atmosphere is supportive, inspiring, and always demanding the best.

Cons

Internal mobility can be terribly limited. The company, like many, seems to deal in a star system, where a few people's words are golden, and others' analyses can go unnoticed.

6. "News Assistant"

Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great experience in journalism and solid training.

Cons

Downsizing and restructuring environment so job stability is lower than it should be.

7. "Great News Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, NY

I worked at New York Times (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization with top journalistic integrity and editorial vision.

Cons

Slow decision-making
    Restructuring on the sales side is more focused on new and fresh vs. experience

"MySQL Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Nice 401K matching contributions
    +Located close to Bryant Park, so summer lunches are always pleasant
    +Discounted visits to museums & near by restaurants.
     +Out of lets say 100 employees( 20 are brilliant and awesome to work with , 40 are decent engineers, and the rest are pretty much slackers who are really good at playing politics and protecting each other) You will find different reviews given the different departments you work for throughout the company.

Cons

+NYT kitchen was not free of cost like most companies in Manhattan.
    +As Technologists we could never work from home. That privilege was only used my senior management at their own discretion.
    + Micromanagement to the max by senior management.( working climate is based on fear and intimidation)
    + Absolutely no work life balance, Senior management will slowly make you put in longer hours at work.
    + One on Ones were all meant to scapegoat everyone into working even longer hours. Instead of talk about career advancements or current work situations.
    +Managers have superiority complexes to say the least, and will never admit mistakes. Nor will they acknowledge good work.
    +Managers seem to be at their position without any merit and based solely on political ties, Even though so many of us have come and left our roles. ( 6 of us to be exact within the course of a year)
    +Joining New York Times as a MySQL Database Administrator has been the worst mistake of my career
    +Upper management lacks clear technical vision, and not knowledgable on technological advancements.
    +My Experience at NYT taught me nothing technically i didn't already know, I felt technically in a state of stagnation

Advice to Management

+ Change your managers or you will loose your workforce. New York Time is a nice company but has a propensity of choosing horrible managers.
    + Change your senior management culture. Train your managers to be better managers or replace them.
    + Make sure the role of managers and team leads are not held by the same person.
    + Choose your team leads based on merit, not politics, or ethnic backgrounds.

"NYT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, NJ

I worked at New York Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, co-workers, company leadership

Cons

Promotion of people didn't always make sense. Very meeting heavy. Often meeting about the same issue for weeks.

"Not a friendly place to work at ..."

Former Employee - Mysql Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times (Less than a year)

Pros

the reputation of the company

Cons

The management in Infrastructure is the worst I've ever known. They are cold and clueless, and apparently indifferent to the turnover going on all around them. Perhaps the management believes they can rely on the reputation of the Times alone to acquire and retain talent, but the number of people leaving does not support this fallacy.

They are so quick to criticize you for mistakes, but fail to mention a thing about the good work you do. They create a climate of fear and intimidation, and yet are so obtuse as to believe that their draconian policies will win the support and loyalty of their employees.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Start treating the employees in Infrastructure like human beings rather than numbers. This might put a stop to the exodus of talent from your company.

"The good, the bad, and the union."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on the résumé and it introduced me to a lot of new technologies my previous job did not. Also met some great people.

Cons

The department is mostly lifers and are rotten people that take advantage the balkanized hierarchy. The boss is not interested in developing talent because there's no room to grow and the slackers are protected by the union.

Advice to Management

Document and follow through with separation, you can't be afraid to discipline people for subpar performance or work ethic.