New York & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott
Pros
Cons
  • "Managers making you meet unattainable goals sometimes, they mainly care about credit cards(in 173 reviews)

• "Management is horrible and upper management is NO BETTER(in 55 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced, philanthropy, smart people

Cons

No cons to list here

New York & Company2019-01-23
  2. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility within the company to work with your schedule; obviously this depends on the staff, but coworkers are very friendly and helpful

Cons

fluctuation from over-staffing to under-staffing so your weekly hours are variable

New York & Company2019-09-13
  3. "Good For Corporate Fashion Types With Old School Skillset"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is going through lots of transition, lots of changeover in C-Suite execs, so there's opportunity to contribute toward brand evolution and change. Depending on your role, you could be part of establishing new teams and even sub-brands. HR does a nice job of working to cultivate culture and connection with fellow employees via charity fundraisers and parties. Benefits package is good. Office is big,... clean and modern but a little "American Psycho" hyper-sterile/ corporate. Lots of offices and desks lack windows and natural light. The atmosphere is optimized for business, more so than fashion and creativity. Lots of women and diversity in entry-level and middle-management positions. Not so much at the senior executive level. Positions are still held mostly by white men + one, new white woman. Benefits package is standard. 17 PTO days offered a year + summer Fridays (employees have option to leave at 2PM on Fridays throughout the summer).

Cons

SUPER antiquated corporate structure, behemoth of a bureaucracy to deal with. Website and majority of software programs are extremely dated and not fashion/ let alone trend -forward. Hopefully new changes in the c-suite will help bring this organization into the 21st century, but only time will tell. NYCO has recently changed it's name to "Retail Winds," as they hope to launch and/or purchase new sub-brands to... live under this parent company. Issue is, they haven't yet figured out how to effectively and efficiently manage and allocate resources for the new brands. Existing New York & Company employees feel disgruntled when asked to help with other brands, as their careers are not evaluated on the success of the other brands, but rather - only the NYCO brand. office is lame. Old school, corporate environment. Might as well be on Wall Street.

Advice to Management

Work smarter, not harder. You're wasting tons of money on hiring external resources rather than investing in internal resources. Cultivate a more creative atmosphere and culture, with an openness to ideas and innovation, and the rest will follow. Will also help recruit and retain better talent.

New York & Company2019-09-13
  4. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Need enough payroll so the SM works 50+ hours a week.

New York & Company2019-08-27
  5. "Soli company with regular layoff schedule and limited strategic flexibility."

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consistent responsibilities and clearly delineated roles. Great head office location.

Cons

Corporate culture is not creative or innovative, salaries are below market for women and people of color.

New York & Company2019-09-09
  6. "You could do better"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were the absolute sweetest but having one terrible manager dosent help

Cons

The pay sucked for the amount of hours and work your expected to do

New York & Company2019-08-28
  7. "Management (Upper Management & Store Level) is unsupportive"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, discount on clothes, paid weekly

Cons

always short staffed, unpaid, unsupportive management

Advice to Management

I worked for NY&Co part-time and was promoted from a Sales Associate to a Sales Lead. One night during closing, a customer assaulted me because the assistant manager and I were unable to process a fraudulent return. The customer was upset and hit me in the face with a closed fist and continued to assault me so I fought back and the company wanted to fire me but I resigned instead. I even had to get law... enforcement involved because what this lady did IS AGAINST THE LAW. NY&CO - your employees are your most valuable asset and are on the front lines selling your merchandise. You shouldn't threaten to fire an employee when they get assaulted by one of your customers. I'm thankful she wasn't armed.

New York & Company2019-09-17

"Directors and above need major training on how to treat people"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you work nonstop including weekends, they might include you in the circle of trust

Cons

Micromanaging to where you feel like a child. Don’t you dare be 10 min late or try to leave early for life reasons. Condescending execs in a tight circle that keep them safe yet useless. Worker bees do all the work . HR could care less. They know all about management issues and do nothing about it to address with these managers and above. They sit back and ...not sure what they do

Advice to Management

Provide required training courses to supervisors, directors and above on how to manage teams and treat people before they get hit with a major lawsuit. So many wrongs were witnessed during my time there that are unheard of at my current place of work. What a difference !! I was traumatized there and power is misplaced and given to evil people. President clueless and praises the same people that cause the turnover of... the good people.

New York & Company2019-08-22
  9. "Struggling Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

A good store manager makes for a good work experience. Create a posh-feeling shopping experience for customers. Significant special employee discounts for special store events.

Cons

Upper management seems to be in flux. Many stores closing. Corporate restructuring.

Advice to Management

Your associates are the people who keep the company running. Treat them with respect and they will work harder for you. If times are tough, don’t cut corners on the lower ranks.

New York & Company2019-08-09
  10. "Can be taxing but generally a good environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get an employee discount, which is helpful since anything from the store can be part of your uniform and the items there can get pricey. Most of the customers really liked the store and were very familiar with it so generally didn't have bad customer experiences.

Cons

When business was slow, it got tedious to stand around and futilely fix the hangers in the clearance aisle but when it got busy we would often get overwhelmed. Most of the types of shoes we were suppose to wear weren't comfortable for long.

New York & Company2019-08-10