New York & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
Cons
  • they pushed for credit cards and did not give us a bonus for it (in 142 reviews)

• Work life balance there is much of one especially if you are salaried (in 35 reviews)

1. "Love/hate relationship"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I worked at New York & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the brand! It's a great place to start a career and grow exponentially. There's almost always lots to do and tasks to balance. Putting the customer first sets the bar for other retailers to do the same. The way nyco focuses on the customer is second to none and is a great basis for any customer service position.

Cons

The discount is not that great. Unrealistic expectation of what can be done on the sales floor, be it customers or floorset. Someone will always get on your case for a sub-par performance, but will never applaud you for an outstanding job well done.

Advice to Management

Upper management: give your store management teams a little more credit!! Everyone needs a boost in morale every now & then.

2. "Assistant Store Manager"

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Professional company. Highly organized and customer driven. Excellent place to work.

Cons

Closed stores. Customers had to drive long distances to shop and use store coupons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at New York & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros. There is a decent benefits package. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement because of all the turn over.

Cons

No work life balance and little to no support. Low salary for associates with high expectations so very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Support and value your employees. Don't just promote people to fill a position take the time to teach, train, and develop your people.

5. "Please read!"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Newport News, VA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For those who enjoy work, it is the perfect job and gives you a chance to really try everything there is for retail work. From dressing mannequins to processing shipment to customer service. In my interview, I was told it is one of the hardest retail jobs there are so I viewed it as a challenge. If I could make it there then I could work anywhere. Those who want to just go to work, survive for a few hours doing the bare minimum, and get a pay check at the end of the week really need not apply. For the people who want to come in to work and get things done and who will truly care about the company and their coworkers those are the type of people who will not just survive here, but they will thrive.

Cons

The only con I can think of is just that for the amount of work you have to be willing to do, the wage is kind of low. You really have to be more about the work and the company than you have to be about the money.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to give constructive criticism. It is different from being condescending. I came in with a cando attitude and wanted to do everything for everyone, but what turned me into a good sales associate and later a good sales lead was just that when I was doing something wrong someone pulled me aside and went 'hey, you're doing a great job! But the company wants it done another way, here let me show you how!' I feel like we get a lot of girls who come in and we get so annoyed by the girls who just won't do it right, but at the same time we forget to remind them of the right way to do it. And it just ends up being, 'oh, well I told her last week she needed to remember to put the sensor through the seam. She should have learned that by now.' And we sometimes don't go in to fix the problem.

6. "Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Buyer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You might end up working with some amazing people

Cons

Meeting times are a suggestion, not the actual time you will conduct business

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth

7. "Sales Associate"

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Working for NYCO was a great company to get exposure into the retail world. Being a business student, it gave me the opportunity to get to know the industry while being in a professional setting.

Cons

There's no cons for NYCO because I know how the retail industry are before working for a retail company.

8. "Review"

Pros

Good retail environment with fast pace.

Cons

Not a good work home life balance.

9. "ok experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kendall, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kendall, FL

I worked at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly and nice coworkers in it

Cons

they pushed for credit cards and did not give us a bonus for it

10. "Storer Assosiate"

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Return customers, not many good things I can think of.

Cons

- Management politics, managers on the bottom are always afraid someone new will come in and replace them because they are not doing their job
    - managers don't have a good relationship with the employees
    - most people don't stay more then a couple a months I think I was one of the few who stayed for much longer
    over all just bad management and it is influenced from the top for there is no way to complain or do anything

Advice to Management

your associates and your lower management are the faces of the company you should take care of them more.

11. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peabody, MA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment
    Legally payment
    Opportunity of growth

Cons

Old sistems of schedule
    Chance radical of the hours of job