New York & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They shove credit cards down people's throats (in 146 reviews)

• there is no respect for people's time or any kind of work life balance now a days (in 36 reviews)

1. "It was great until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Babylon, NY
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Babylon, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employee discount great team to work with
    Health Insurance
    Growth for internal advancement
    Get to interact with a lot of different people

Cons

No quality of family life because your expected to be available whenever they need you
    Tremendous workload with lack of payroll to support task

Advice to Management

Definitely should investigate why there management turnover is so high

"Paycheck Amount Dependent on Company's "Mood""

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Generous store discount; Offers an accessible conflict-resolution process

Cons

Company cannot handle criticism; Company treats hourly and part-time employees like disposable tableware; Failed to pay hourly workers for the hours they worked and ignored taking responsibility when confronted

Advice to Management

You are only a leader by job title. Your employees and third-party coworkers will not look up to you just because you think you are important and deserve respect. It doesn't matter if you are dirt poor or drive a Tesla, competence is not something you assert to others. Your competence will be understood naturally by your community especially when you actually do your work.

"Not recommended!!!"

Former Employee - Store Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Store Sales Leader

I worked at New York & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary was decent. That was about it.

Cons

Zero appreciation for the employees. Zero professionalism in the company. I was new with the company and I went to their annual conference in Miami. I witnessed executives in the company acting like they were on spring break! I couldn't believe my eyes. My district manager would criticize a manger who wasn't present to defend himself in front of one of his peers!
    Let's talk about work load. We were expected to complete tasks that were given to us with no time to plan and no hours to do it. One instance was during holiday time. There was a sale that was supposed to start the day after Christmas. It was a huge undertaking which involved basically gutting the whole floor. I get an email, not even a phone call that stated they were moving the sale up and we had to start the rework immediately. This was at noon on December 23 by the way. Managers were expected to work an 18 hour shift on Black Friday. After working 14 hours and 15 hours the day before Thanksgiving, I was exhausted and left the store in the hands of my very capable assistant managers. 2 days later I was Hewed out by the regional manager and nearly fired. I had conversations with my district manager and broke it down that mathematically we did not have enough payroll to run the business. Nothing was done. The best thing I ever did was come to this company because it forced me to seek another profession.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We're people, not just numbers on a spread sheet. Happy employees, create happy customers which in turn, makes the stake holders happy. It's called Conscious Capitalism. Look it up.

"Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milford, CT

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates are usually great to work with

Cons

This company will turn you into such a negative person
    They expect you to do everything and never give you hours to do it including, completing orders, metropak, sale set ups, promotions, but this is not allowed to be down when the store is open because you have to customer service but it needs to get done 911 --- does not make any sense.
    They will constantly criticize and never thank, they expect the world from you to work any day and when it comes to take a day off for yourself it's like pulling teeth.
    The CEO lied on TV about changing the coupons so thousands of customers are upset and we as a staff have to deal with it

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate the hard work your staff does

5. "Horrible place wasted three years of my career"

I worked at New York & Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fashion environment, good discounts, fast paced

Cons

Low pay seriously low not even competitive to other retail in the area,rude and cheap customers, hours fluctuate rapidly , managers have no loyalty to associates , favoritism often rules when it comes to promotions

Advice to Management

Give your employees hours and raise pay to a manageable wage, acknowledge hard work and reward for it, do not give customers excessive special treatment.

6. "WORST RETAIL EXPRIENCE EVER!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paided EVERY FRIDAY!
    Co- workers are very friendly and make the long hours a bit more bearable.

Cons

Very meticulous with how the store should look. (Finger spacing racks, sizing, tying the bows and dresses to a certain look, buttoning tops, etc)
    Don't expect to ever leave on time. They will make you stay till 12-1 if the store dosen't meet the managers likes.
    Managers (Lexington ave store) are not nice at all. Very rude and they will write you up for any little thing!

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's better and maybe have more staff meetings on how your workers feel and come to an agreement.
    STOP with the above and beyond standards when the store looks great already.

"No Loyalty to Managers or Assistant Managers"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

They need bodies to fill jobs positions.

Cons

The whole company is struggling with sales and brand failure. So expect that your store could close and there will be little to no warning. They tend to blame the brand struggling sales on store level employees. Convergence. As all retail people know, if people don't come in the store, we cant sell them clothes.

Advice to Management

Run! Brand is on its way out! No loyalty to employees. Not even Managers and assistant managers.

"Never Again"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at New York & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro to working for this company was the discount. And the discount rarely worked. For managers after 60 days your discount is 40% but if the store was on sale for 30% or more then you didn't get your discount. You ended up spending way more money than you would when your discount would work and the store wasn't on sale. During the holidays you don't get your discount either, only 15%.

Cons

Where do I begin?

Unrealistic expectations-they want you to push credit cards like your life depends on them. So many managers have been fired for being unethical because of how much pressure is put on them to get credit applications. If you don't hit your goal which sometimes can be 50+ per week you and your team gets put on a performance plan.

Lack of support-If you aren't a top store or a Company favorite they don't care about you. They will leave you understaffed until you basically quit and then they have no one. They expect you to be able to do EVERYTHING by yourself. This includes running the business, running the operations, people, sales and visuals DOR. And I know because I was in that position. And if you slip on one of these you'll get a nasty call or text about it on your limited days off.

Constant changes- Every day something changes and not something minor. Price changes and merch updates everyday. Half of the time it goes right back to what it was the day before. You have to go in 2 hours prior to open just to do promo changes. You don't even have time to open registers and get ready for the day.

Training and Payroll- you don't get enough hours to train new hires and they get on the sales floor and know nothing. The allotment of hours that the Company will provide allow for 2 person coverage. And I know this because they forced my store to have 2 person coverage on the weekend before Christmas. Friday, Saturday and Sunday ran on 2 managers and that was it. The customers and what was best for the business were not put first at all.

Benefits-The only plus side to benefits were the pet insurance. The other health benefits were not good at all. You paid way too much for such little coverage. PTO is a joke because they have way too many blackout periods that the company set and black out periods that upper management will set. I had to return early from my vacation because the They didn't want to have a manager working a certain day. And then lied about company policy. Depending on what month you leave the company depends on how many PTO days you get paid out even though they give them all to you at the beginning of the year but if you take any before you leave they deduct those from how many they pay out. Zero sick time as well.

Pay- The pay rate is a joke! The company has cut back on how much they pay you because they are struggling financially which makes sense but when they expect you to spend over 40 hours a week there they don't compensate for it.

The only reason they are getting one star is because of the semi discount and pet insurance.

"Don't workhl here"

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros worst company

Cons

Everything about this company worst place i have ever worked

Advice to Management

Train your management was thrown into a position and never trained then was terminated for not knowing procedure.

"NY&Nope"

Pros

Got to be on your feet a lot and moving around. Great bunch of people to work and commiserated with.

Cons

Lots of expectations as an associate. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone that works a full time job and wants a part time job on the side. You are working and working very hard.

Constantly asked to come in earlier than your shift in the mornings due to constant marketing changes. I was asked to come in one morning early and was told to clean the bathrooms. Had I known that, I would have not come in.

Different expectations of associates and managers. Where I worked, management was constantly late and I waited 45 minutes one time for a manager to come and let me in the store. My time was not adjusted at all. The manager did not get in trouble and this happened consistently. An associate was 15 minutes late one day while the store was open and a manager openly scolded the associate in front of customers.

Management micromanages to no end. Associates are expected to do the bulk of the work while management is just on the floor putting away some of the items from the dressing rooms. Not a team environment at all. I would expect a little more chipping in from management.

Pay is extremely low. I accepted this opportunity, not knowing what other stores in our mall were paying. What I make in a 5 hour shift can't even pay for a shirt at ticket value from there. Don't settle on NY&C. I would do it if you had exhausted all options.

Most of the time customers get a better discount than associates. As with most stores, employees can't use coupons. But the coupons are substantially better than the employ discount. For instance, employees only get 15% on top of the 50% off everything sale. But there is a coupon to customers that if they open a credit card, they get 20%. Very unfair.

Breaks are hard to get used to. No break at all if you work a 5 hour shift. 15 minute break if you work 6 hours and half hour unpaid lunch if you work over 6 hours. No drinks are allowed on the floor or behind the desk. I got in trouble for going back and getting something to drink. You have to ask to go to the bathroom and even that time is limited. They will call for you on the headset while you are on the toilet.

I came into work one time and was extremely sick. I was told I needed to find someone to cover my shift. Was unable to find someone and had to stick it out for several hours. Not only is this a danger to myself, but also infects the customers. I didn't call off because I was told during my training I could be fired for it if I didn't give a 24 hour notice.

I worked extremely hard at this job. I liked it at times, but it's really not worth it. I asked for 10-20 hours a week and was constantly given 25-30. I appreciated the hours. But once the college students are back on break, your hours will be drastically depleted as they favor them more.

Company was on Undercover Boss, but made no improvements since.

Advice to Management

Invest in your management to have training. They have poor communication, interpersonal, and time management skills. I would be asked to stay longer for my shifts to complete a task that I could have completed during the duration of my shift.

Put employees first, not the company. If an employee is sick, let them leave and Do not punish them for calling off for being sick. I witnessed an associate quitting and the store manager making one of the managers come in on her vacation to cover the shift while the store manager had the day off.

Improve promotional changes. Give stores enough time to prepare for them. Have associates work on promotion changes the night before (put signs behind current signs) and then there isn't as much work in the morning.

Always make sure employees are getting a better discount than customers are getting.

Increase reward for employees for getting customers to open credit cards. I was there a few months and watched it go from $1 to $2 back to $1. $2 is pretty much industry standard. And this value is taxed out of your paycheck.