New York & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They shove credit cards down people's throats (in 146 reviews)

• there is no respect for people's time or any kind of work life balance now a days (in 36 reviews)

1. "Ugh don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hoover, AL

Pros

- Good discounts on the clothes

Cons

- Horrible Management
    - No benefits
    - No chance of promotion within your store
    - Will start you below minimum wage
    - No full time positions if you aren't a manager

Advice to Management

Be respectful to your employees they are trying to help you guys out. Be more lenient and flexible to the employees who go to school fulltime. Offer more hours for all employees, the only people who get a full time position (20 hours or more a week) is MANAGEMENT.

"District managers and regional managers are unethical"

Former Employee - ASM in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - ASM in Sacramento, CA

Pros

-manager discount 40%
    -clothes are inexpensive
    -awesome coupons
    -awesome associate I've got to know
    -my first team of management were awesome!!!

Cons

- pressuring associates and customers to get credit
    -upper management threatening stores about credit
    -dsm's belittling their associates and asm's (I know of 3 associates who cried because a dsm discriminated their appearance)
    -the pay sucks! (I got a .48 cents raise to go to a 1.7 million dollar store when I know all previous asm's were getting 5 bucks more than me)
    -my last dsm tampered with my time/payroll
    -human resource would rather side with upper management
    -There is promo changes at least 4 times out of the week
    -allocation and planning makes no sense
    -always set up for failure by giving a whole bunch of task but asked to be completed the same day
    -policy and procedure is such a headache that associates get yelled @ by customers

Advice to Management

-your associates in the stores are the one who know the business and does all the dirty work.
    -corporate visits are not productive(especially when there are no positive feedbacks)
    -too much micro-managing

"Not worth the headache..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Panama City Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Panama City Beach, FL

Pros

30% discount
    Get paid every week

Cons

Part-time employees get no other benefits. Definitely not worth the time if you have a family and needing a reliable source of income to pay bills. Hours are given by how many credit applications you get and by performance ONLY! You can forget about raises too. Managers are very gossipy and they make it obvious when they are talking about people.

Advice to Management

Benefits for part-time employees. Hours based on credit policy should be thrown out the window.

4. "Micromanaged, embarrassed, belittled, bait-n-switched"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

Pros

Can't think of any. I was seriously bait and switched. Poor, incompetent management. When the fish stinks, it stinks from the head 1st down.

Cons

Treatment, money, negative attitudes and judgments, bad work ethics, putting employees in an unsafe environment, and asking for employees to work off the clock unpaid.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and your ears. Restructure management and reward your workers. Treat employees fairly, be honest, have integrity, and pay employees for work done. Fire the poor management.

5. "Awful. The district mgr micro managed everything. Unrealistic expectations and poor quality of life."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great regional mgr who appreciates and values her people...

Cons

CEO was rude! Never acknowledged me or my team. We spent hours preparing for his visit and he never even greeted us.

Advice to Management

Clearly when jobs are being eliminated and you work a 12 hr shift ALONE...it's time to move on. Contrary to your DM there are better jobs out there!!!

"Better than no job, but not by much"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule is generally posted in a timely fashion.
    Employee discount.

Cons

Schedule with numerous "on-call" shifts which makes it very hard to plan your other activities.
    Breaks are rare (90% of the shifts are six hours and no break is allotted).
    Hours are limited and vary from week to week, making it difficult to budget.
    Huge amount of pressure is put on associates to get people to apply for the store credit card.

Advice to Management

Have fewer employees and give them each more hours, they have bills to pay. Give employees more scheduled shifts and less "on-call" shifts, you will have less call outs that way. Give employees a break during their shift, they aren't as effective when tired and hungry. Give employees an cash incentive for getting people to apply for the credit card.

"The highs and lows."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New York and company is great because they really care for their customers. They will definitely go above and beyond to make sure that the customer is satisfied and will return to spend their money.

Cons

I have worked for the company for almost seven yrs. And I have seen some of the most shady things happen to good people. There are hotlines that we use to call in and report things that aren't being done correctly within the stores. When you report the individuals that have been doing the wrong things it is then passsed off to the district and regional managers. They are supposed to handle the managers accordingly but instead those managers are protected and those that call the reports are ridiculed although there is supposed to be a "no retaliation" clause. I used to love my job until I realized that being honest won't get me anywhere. I am member of store management and I am currently seeking employment elsewhere. I never want to work for a company that protects the people that don't deserve their positions.

Advice to Management

I would really like to see BHQ step up and take over any reports that come through the ethics hotline. There are plenty of SSL's that are very shady and the District Managers find ways of getting them out of trouble. I don't understand why the people that work the hardest and try to keep "the culture of honesty" alive are over looked and always given someone's ass to kiss. Bottom line, listen to your employees more often and protect the people that actually "work hard" for you. Afterall where would your stores be without the "honest" folks.

"Disappointing...company's expectations have gotten out of control."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the beginning of my tenure at NY & Company things seamed promising. I was slowly being promoted and business seemed ok. Then the CEO changed.

Cons

The expectations of the CEO are not practical. Management tends to change their minds too frequently. Team members cannot keep up. There is also no work like balance whatsoever. The hours got longer and longer with no change or compensation.

"Very boring and incredibly motivational."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly Checks are a nice perk. Easy hours/ flexible scheduling. I'm having a really hard time coming up with 20 words complimenting this job.

Cons

It is incredibly boring, stuck in a backroom for my entire shift processing clothing. When i was first hired they put my in the backroom and just told me to get to work NO TRAINING AT ALL. It was ridiculous.

"Run away ..."

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, summer fridays, casual enviorment

Cons

no process, never on calendar, extremely unorganized upper level management, unrealistic expectation of design staff, high turnover

Advice to Management

Learn to say and be more confident in the product that your team designs. Have better design process. Needs more merchant and designer alignment.