New York & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They shove credit cards down people's throats (in 146 reviews)

• there is no respect for people's time or any kind of work life balance now a days (in 36 reviews)

1. "Best Job I've Ever Had!"

I have been working at New York & Company full-time

Pros

I love everything about it. The hours are good for the most part, havent had any problems with the customers or management. Plus you get a 30% off discount.

Cons

I have no cons to share.

2. "Sales Associate"

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

its a job and the employees were the best part about working there besides a paycheck

Cons

horrible pay, management, no 15 munite break periods, and too high of expectations for the hourly rate.

Advice to Management

Get new Management

3. "Sales associate"

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Hours, flexibility, experience, good first job

Cons

no sense of career development , No sense of employees day to day life , I always worked holidays while other employees got them off every year. There wasn't much room for reaching higher job growth and some days my manager would have me working til 1am when my shift ended at 10pm. I was with the company for three years and i went from 7.50 to 8.45 and hour which was terrible.

Advice to Management

Offer employees option of development in searching higher level jobs with the company and better pay along with equal treatment and respect for their time and effort

"Depends on your location"

Pros

Awesome customer base that loves the brand!
    A great rewards credit card that, again, the customer loves!
    Constant influx of new merchandise and trends.
    Fast-paced.

Cons

Thrown to the sharks to speak. Not a lot of training is involved and you have to pick it up as you go no matter what DOR you are assigned to. This is how I feel at the location I'm with.

Even though it is a fast-paced environment, the amount of tasks to complete with the amount of payroll you receive may leave you lacking in the customer service department. It doesn't always give you the option to give your best customer service while still keeping up on your task load. Payroll also doesn't flex with your sales that week which can be good or bad. If you were up $5000, you will not be allotted another 5 hours of payroll and vice versa, if you were down $5000 you will have 5 hours taken from your already allotted payroll. There is little incentive to go above and beyond as the bonuses are not great. The requirements are based off of LY which the company rarely changes what they do promotionally year to year but outlying factors can contribute to it being easier or harder to make LY numbers. Credit performance is one the biggest factors reviewing a stores performance. It puts extra stress on associates and that can really turn away potentially awesome associates who just need some training.

Advice to Management

Memorize every policy. This is a company where policy is not always held and reinforced by upper management. The policies the company has are great when reinforced and even if your SM or DM does not expect it, you should do it anyway because in the long run, it will make your life easier.

5. "Sales associate"

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Employee discount, great co-workers, flexible schedule, intro to retail environment

Cons

Day after Xmas when you have to handle all the returns

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and provide new roles and opportunities beyond the traditional management track. Need to be agile and adapt to a changing retail landscape.

6. "Great"

I have been working at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Management is OKAY when needed

Cons

The customers make it 100x harder to work there

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance and good district management. If you want to move up in this company you have to work for it. You cannot sit in the office all day and expect to succeed. If you can give good customer service and sale a credit card or two then you will be fine. Pay will be based on region. Higher volume stores will pay more and have more competitive wages versus the lower traffic stores. Outlet seems to me more low key than Retail. Retail is more expensive but Outlet is popping up more in vacation spots. Moving up within the company is very liking as long as you are willing to put in the work. Lots of interviews go into becoming management to make sure the employee is ready for such a promotion. Low turn over nationwide, but some regions will be more difficult to keep staffed.

Cons

Lots of price changes and not enough payroll. Lots to do in the mornings before opening that most isn't completed by opening time. Corporate needs to abide by their constant emails and realize how to do this job before trying to improve the stores.

Advice to Management

Research demographics for pay rate. Especially within the center. Keep a persistent employee discount. Can't wear the clothes if we can't afford them.

8. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Easy shifts if you are a sales associate

Cons

The manager was lazy and showed favoritism, always sat in her office.

Advice to Management

Work harder than the sales associate

9. "Store Sales Leader"

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Great start to my retail career

Cons

Not much succession planning after Store Sales Leader position.

"Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's always a sale, it's nice if you buy the clothes here. Employee discount is 30% and Manager discount is 40% unless there's a sale.. then everyone gets 15% (so stupid)

Cons

Daily promotional changes, HR is like a myth at this company (good luck trying to find a number or email for that. I asked my DM several times and was ignored), no hours allocated to get the unrealistic expectations done, constant "what happened, why didn't you meet your sales goals for the day" emails, product is getting cheaper and cheaper, poor upper management, doesn't matter how hard you work it is IMPOSSIBLE to move up. Awful turnover rate. No DM or SM lasts longer than 9 months. Corporate HARASSES employees to open cards.

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff and learn who wants to grow with your company instead of bringing in external hires for management positions that current sales associates are more than qualified for.