New York & Company "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

New York & Company Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 30, 2019

2.5
New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott
Pros
Cons
  • "Managers making you meet unattainable goals sometimes, they mainly care about credit cards(in 177 reviews)

• "Upper management seems to be in flux(in 58 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Traveling Manager/Assistant Manager/Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, OH

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The fashion was amazing! The structure of the company was impeccable as well. Easy to be a leader within this work field. Very fun work environment.

Cons

Disorganized Upper Management was a very big downfall.

New York & Company2019-10-28
  2. "Absolute nightmare"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overtime for CA Store Managers.

Cons

So many I can list: -absolutely awful morale from the executive leadership team. Everyone is treated as if they’re just a number. That trickles down to the field. No one says anything to stand up for themselves against the leadership in this area. Everyone just “needs” their job so they take it. Toxic environment. Sad. -HR is unsupportive. Bring something, they’re doing that’s against the law, and you get... treated awfully. Retaliation I suppose? -zero work life balance. You’re constantly texted and called even when you’re off from both your team and your bosses (were in CA, shouldn’t we be paid for all of that time?) -There’s an underlying “get credit even if you do shady things” tone from upper management (district leaders and above) but once an associate actually does commit credit fraud everyone wants to shame them and “clutch pearls” yet, they’re the reason people feel so pressured in the first place. -the amount of time we spend on operations could go to sales but this company doesn’t care about good customer service. Oh, believe me. They act like they do. May even state it but, no. It’s all about switching promos and inflating prices to trick customers. THAT’S the only thing important to them. -Loss prevention leadership is a joke. Can’t even answer basic questions from the field. Why would we come to them to report loss, and make them look better when they cannot even provide the field with proper information? -I’m not surprised by how many lawsuits this company is getting slapped with and is about to get slapped with soon. There are a lot of very shady things happening right now (i.e people not being paid money they’re owed) and no one seems to care....Hoping the group of Store Managers in California ban together. I couldn’t deal so I had to leave but I hope they take a stand. This company lacks integrity, period.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. Executives are hiring based on personal relationships and not business relationships resulting in an awful company culture. The CEO, is the worst so why would I expect anyone below him to actually care about employees? Leadership is much more than just Posing for the camera.

New York & Company2019-12-01
  3. "Struggling Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

A good store manager makes for a good work experience. Create a posh-feeling shopping experience for customers. Significant special employee discounts for special store events.

Cons

Upper management seems to be in flux. Many stores closing. Corporate restructuring.

Advice to Management

Your associates are the people who keep the company running. Treat them with respect and they will work harder for you. If times are tough, don’t cut corners on the lower ranks.

New York & Company2019-08-09
  4. "Whole Company Doesn’t Know What They’re Doing"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Overland Park, KS

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Associates can do returns and manipulate prices and give discounts without a manager password. This is good because typically every transaction needs some form of adjusting the prices because of the confusing sales and promotions.

Cons

Confusing sales and marketing Upper management does not care about individual stores or helping them improve. Poor communication with upper management even in emergency situations.

Advice to Management

Have your marketing and sales teams communicate with each other. When there is a promotion like the “50% entire store” for a specific week, do not send out coupons for those same dates when the everything in the store excludes the coupons during that promotion. You may be getting people into the store with the sales signs and coupons, but it doesnt matter if every customer has a negative experience. Have your... District Managers work with their assigned stores. Do NOT threaten or pressure your stores so much on the credit cards. Focus on improving ways to make it easier for the customer to shop there. Nobody wants to have a credit card for a place that is frustrating to shop at. And employees should not fear for their jobs so much that they repeatedly apply for credit cards themselves to avoid getting reprimanded.

New York & Company2019-04-03

"Support your stores"

Current Employee - N/A in Washington, DC

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They keep you up on the current trends

Cons

Management is horrible and upper management is NO BETTER!! With no support

Advice to Management

Support the stores!! Make sure district and regional managers are helping their stores. And not just saying they are when they are not.

New York & Company2019-01-23

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Able to work with all levels of the business

Cons

Everything- the culture is very negative. Everyone is overworked; no one is happy showing up to work. Rude upper management, no work life balance. They say they embrace change, but when you bring up ideas, they shake their heads and forget about what you just brought up. I could go on for hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team!

New York & Company2018-11-28

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at New York & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount was the only nice thing.

Cons

Not enough payroll No work life balance Heavy promos that constantly change Upper management doesn't care

Advice to Management

Rethink promos Think of your people

New York & Company2018-11-01

"So-So Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great management team -Cute clothes -Great customers -Close-knit team

Cons

-Window changes almost every day -Huge promotional changes every morning -Management often has to change mannequins and floor sets during open hours since sometimes it is so last minute that mall security won't let employees stay late -Credit credit credit. Upper management only cares about whether you got new credit card applications and pays no attention to big sales or customer praise. -Low pay. I was there... for three years (one as an associate, two as a key holder) and the pay was just sad.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to the people actually running your stores. Everyone will be happier if you actually make some changes to alleviate the craziness of every morning.

New York & Company2018-08-02

"If you like to see your family don’t work at NY&Co"

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Access to Penn Station for commuting to NJ

Cons

12 hour workdays. Plus weekend working and constant answering of emails. Upper management doesn’t have respect Bullying by CEO and Vps

Advice to Management

Trust your workers

New York & Company2018-08-17

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great discount that is all

Cons

terrible upper management. A mess and you will be overworked and never have a life.

Advice to Management

promote within

New York & Company2018-04-03