NewOak Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron DVari

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great corporate culture, company-wide sports teams, cool projects, co-workers are smart, helpful, and care about the company.

Cons

Not having access to certain technologies that other full-time employees have.
    The work/projects you do can sometimes feel insignificant.

"Capital Markets Analyst"

Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at NewOak Capital full-time

Pros

Lots of experience to gain, friendly environment, made up of a few groups, diverse, friendly upper management, growing firm, just moved to a brand new office, many outside of work events and happy hour on fridays

Cons

pay could be better but it is a smaller shop so its expected,

low reviews probably coming from contract workers (made up a chunk of the credit service team as I was here), ignore

"Squandering Potential"

Former Employee - QA (Temp) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - QA (Temp) in New York, NY

I worked at NewOak Capital (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management and workers sit together.
    - Free snacks.
    - On-going training.

Cons

- New QAs are only hired as contract employees who will never receive an offer of permanent employment, despite the promises that are made.
    - No benefits like health insurance, bonus, paid vacation, etc.
    - Terrible pay scale.
    - Incompetent employees are tolerated if they are friends with a Director.

Advice to Management

- There are so many overlapping levels of management, yet only a small number of workers to be managed. This creates turf battles and confusion.
    - Stop playing favorites; it sends the message that incompetence will be tolerated if you're buddies with a Director. And it is.
    - Pay the QAs for the work they actually do, not based on the salaries of temporary doc review attorneys. That's a different skill set.
    - Get rid of the texting software--it creates a very negative and unprofessional work environment.

"Great Firm, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NewOak Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart, hard-working team that cares about one another
    - Competitive compensation (base, bonus, 401(k) and benefits)
    - Good management and employee culture (managers sit out on the floor with their teams; overall the culture is very flat, and every team member is valued and respected)
    - Opportunities for growth

Cons

- There can be long hours, depending on the role and specific project timeline

"Rats are jumping Ship"

Former Employee - QC Quality Control in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - QC Quality Control in Dallas, TX

Pros

There are no Pros for this company.

Cons

Heard the Managing Director in Dallas is now leaving. Several high quality employees and contractors are leaving or have left. There new business model will not work

Advice to Management

None

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at NewOak Capital (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location (Midtown East - on Lexington Ave). CEO & President are great people. Work with all the major law firms and major banks.

Cons

Managing Directors in the Credit Risk/Litigation department can be difficult to work with. Credit Risk department only hires applicants as contract employees. The position will not become permanent (as a contractor you go through a recruiting company, thus you do not receive any benefits, health insurance, bonus, paid vacation, etc from NewOak.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to change especially within mid-management. Need to implement structure and advancement for ALL employees. Contract employees should not be treated second rate.

C-Level needs to supervise certain MDs more effectively

"Uncertain Future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I liked the parking situation. I was able to work downtown. The company provided snacks and drinks.

Cons

Communication between the NYC office and the Dallas satellite office was not great. The company is staffed with many young analyst managers that just don't have the experience. The make capricious, autocratic decisions that contributes to a very haphazard work environment.

Advice to Management

This firm wants to be many things and has its fingers in many pies although the bulk of their revenue comes from litigation support projects in RMBS litigation involving subprime mortgages. This business will be drawing to a close in the near future.

"Great People, Great Company"

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at NewOak Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A small firm giving employees the opportunity to dig their teeth into as much work as possible.
    Friendly and accessible management.
    The pay was solid.
    I learned a ton from the senior technology team there.
    Growing and evolving company, always an opportunity to learn something new.
    Don't read too much into other people's reviews, if you have an opportunity to work at NewOak, see for yourself!!

Cons

Work load was heavy but that was on me as well as I got more invested into our projects.

Advice to Management

Check in on the employees more to get a sense of how they feel about their role.

"Worst experience big mistake"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NewOak Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing really, If I had to pick a pro it will be location probably and the fact that you can say that you work in "Wall Street" impress your friends and such but shortly you will realize that this is all a big lie.

I suffered every single day I was wit this firm (a bit more than a year). At the time I accepted the offer I had the chance to go with other firms and I completely disregarded the reviews on this website so I thought of writing one myself and confirm what other have already stated about this place.

Cons

The firm is completely unstructured. After six years they are still trying to find their own line of business.The firm is full with people with big egos and the attitude of most of the people there is completely innapropriate for a "formal" firm.

If you are interviewing for MCS you should know that this is the most boring job you can ever find, the people leading this business line will make your life miserable and needless to say there is no room for professional development since EVERY single person at the firm is a Managing Director so basically makes politics within the firm very complicated.

The Advisory side is a bit more interesting and there are two or three very talented people although they are involved in very few deals and I don't see that changing in the future considering the politics of the firm.

Advice to Management

Definitely managment should stop blaming employees for their lack of management abilities and leadership. Fix your internal problems first. Everybody in the firm can tell how poorly management is because is constantly impacted by bad decisions.

"Not good"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NewOak Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you are related to the management, they will take good care of you

Cons

no growth, only administrative tasks, no real career, very low salary

Advice to Management

Please try to appreciate the talent of the employees and do not get influenced by the bad mouths in the company and form an impression about an employee