NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Reviews

Updated April 23, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital President and Chief Executive Officer Steven J. Corwin, MD
Steven J. Corwin, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best Hospital to Work at in New York!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Impeccable teamwork on mine and many other units. Cares about your career advancement. VERY generous tuition reimbursement program. Amazing employee feedback tools that they ACTUALLY look at. Great salary. Overall, the culture here is quite superb. Having come from another hospital in the Northwell Health System, I can say this health system offers its employees much more and cares much more about its RNs. 10/10 would recommend!

Cons

The particular building I work in (Weill Cornell Medical Center) is a bit outdated. The technology isn't as up-to-date as it was at my previous hospital. Considering this is New York's #1 Hospital, I expected it to be better. HOWEVER, they are building a new building for my unit across the street that will open in 2020. I am told it will be better than anything that's out there.

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Response

Oct 25, 2017 – Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear about your positive experiences thus far with NYP. It is proven that a strong team dynamic certainly goes a long way here. We... More

2. "CEO"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dr. Corwin and management strive to make the hospital a top rated hospital and ensures the staff's needs are met. Happy staff translates to happy patients.

Cons

I have not seen or come across any cons to working for the hospital

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. When things work you don't change it.

3. "RN critical care"

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time

Pros

consider this. Columbia is part of NYSNA, benefits are outstanding compared to most hospitals across the country, I know, I did the research and worked at many. Excellent pension (rare), free healthcare for your family (small copayments, also rare), excellent tuition reimbursement, fantastic paid time off/vaca and good break times...that alone is amazing. Yes Columbia has an older charting system and some older equipment in an older building however, those are easily conquered, the teams are supportive, friendly and smart, and the exposore to complex cases makes you feel like you are a part of greater things in a small club. Almost everyone Ive met has been friendly and easy to work with. research the nysna website rn benefits, fyi Cornell is NOT nysna. No pension there.

Cons

older charting system, older beds, difficult to obtain a job from the outside (everyone has been shocked I did)

Advice to Management

you have a difficult job but I have been impressed with my management so far. Unfortunately there are always a few that take advantage of being unionized and use it as a crutch for their own poor performance, making it hard to 'clean up' some members who aren't pulling their own weight.

4. "Good - you want to be there"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay well, smart people running things in smart ways. They expect you to be excellent, and reward you well if you are. GREAT insurance and benefits.

Cons

Huge system with lots of bureaucracy; can take way too long to change or improve things that should be easy;

5. "Certified Anesthesia Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great people, good leadership

Cons

Distance from home but overall, awesome.

6. "M.F"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in New York, NY

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Place to work. Nursing team are excellent

Cons

Short break and sometimes short staff.

Advice to Management

We are the hospital. We're here to make it stronger.

7. "Mental health worker."

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in White Plains, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place, great people And a place to grow! It’s a blessing to be a part this amazing place where amazing things are happening.

Cons

Rigorous place to get into. Many people would like to work there but given the volume of applications and the stringent requirements for applications, it’s impossible.

Advice to Management

Amazing

8. "EKG/Phlebotomy technician"

Current Employee - EKG/Phlebotomist Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - EKG/Phlebotomist Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a teaching hospital so they encourage to continue your education.

Cons

I have been with the company for nearly 10 years, if there were any major cons i would seek another place of employment.

Advice to Management

When making big changes to IT systems it would be nice to get input from the workers that use them on a daily basis

9. "Physician"

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time

Pros

You are working for a huge organization

Cons

Massive self serving bureaucracy, poorly managed

Advice to Management

Take a good look in the mirror

"A big name hospital that succumbs to the culture of corrupt corporations"

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse in New York, NY

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NYP Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital is one of the best children's hospitals in the country. I grew as a person and as a nurse and I owe it all to the bedside nurses I worked with. I owe none of my personal or professional growth to any of the 4 nurse managers I had in the 4 years I was an employee. I think CHONY utilizes the most modern approaches to Pediatric Intensive Care and many of our patients have good outcomes. The patient population is varied and it is rewarding to be able to care for critically ill children and make a true difference in their lives.

Cons

Oh boy...let's start with management. There is HIGH turnover for management in pediatric intensive care, which is bad. In the 4 years I was there I had 4 managers. During my tenure in the PICU, we were constantly short-staffed. NYSNA couldn't help us, and upper level management would placate us by giving us free breakfast and pretending like they understood our concerns. When various directors and VPs came to the PICU to answer our questions, they responded like politicians with no clear answers. While we were severely short-staffed, management turned some random corners of our unit into bed spaces. We added about 4 more bed-spaces without adding anymore nurses. The unit spent so much money paying overtime. It doesn't take a genius to figure out pediatric units across the county generally don't make money, and this is why unit budgets are so restrictive. Inter-unit relations were also strained because of a lack of middle management (because there quite literally was no manager) When I worked there, senior level nursing leaders began to take the first steps towards achieving Magnet status. I knew the hospital had no chance of achieving this prestigious status based on my personal observations, and the grievances of my colleagues who worked in other adult & pediatric units. Please don't let the guise of NYP being a hospital fool you. They are a big business in which their various chief executives receive annual bonuses of $1 million+. Everything comes down to money. If it doesn't make money, don't throw money at it.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO THE NURSES