Newark Element 14 Reviews | Glassdoor

Newark Element 14 Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generous PTO, Good Benefits, Co-Workers, Free Parking, Food Buggys during nice weather (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is encouraged even in those departments that are short-staffed (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is also extremely top-heavy (in 8 reviews)

• Constant change in upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good future at this company"

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time

Pros

Good caring people
    Well known in the industry and a great online presence

Cons

Lots of change in structure.

Advice to Management

Better pay in the more expensive areas to live

"OK to start out, company however is declining, no stability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good place for entry-level employees, or relatively new to office environment. but that's it.

Cons

catty employees, ceo changes every 5 months, no one knows what their job role is anymore, sales reps pay scale changed recently and it seems to be causing a lot of bitterness internally. no one trusts one another. employees can't speak freely to management, as management have adopted the mentality of "us vs. them" , that gem came from higher management's mouth. people are constantly being shuffled from one position to another, with-shocker, no pay increase in the slightest, which at this point is insulting. a lot of really smart people are employed here, but how things have been declining and the amount of people let go and leaving the business, there are simply not enough people to fulfill all the duties to keep the business running. and while there are a lot intelligent, hard-working employees here; for every good employee there are about 5 lazy, useless employees that don't bother to understand the mechanics of their position and why it's important for them to be able to function in their role (yet management refuses to reprimand these individuals). the new president is not the nicest guy, definitely has a lot of opinions and ideas of how to turn Newark around, but everyone knows that his ideas are shortsighted and a little lacking in common sense, as he was only brought in to sell the company. not to mention the benefits are shockingly bad, unless you opt for the most expensive plan which is beyond expensive. the lunch situation is tragic--once in a while they get a food truck to show up, but other than that, pack your lunch; nice cafeteria, but no more catering services offered. to cut corners, the cleaning company only shows up every other day, this creates a dirty work environment. The systems used are also extremely outdated and often down for maintenance, this makes it difficult and at times impossible to go about day to day functions. and last point in this situation is hr, the head of hr recently left the business and the employees are now left with an unprofessional hr dept. and this shows, as they've already been reprimanded for being unprofessional and talking to sales reps repeatedly for about 45 minutes a day gossiping, something employees in hr obviously shouldn't be taking part in.

Advice to Management

if you value an employee's work, don't offer them a promotion with no financial incentive. a lot of the times, employees are asked to take on more responsibility but paid the same as the day they walked through the door. money talks, a shiny new job title with no increase is a slap in the face. also, update the systems. there are higher functioning CRM's that could actually facilitate the company with business, compared to the current jumble of systems that are older than some of the people that work there.

"Could Have Been a Better Experience..."

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time

Pros

Customers, Co-workers, Sales Training, Variety of product and depth of inventory.

Cons

Sales Compensation model changed every year, Management Team constantly in flux, always changing, Outside Sales and National Sales Management hired from outside companies, I had one who was more interested in going and getting massages when he came into town.

Advice to Management

New people, new ideas, many of them poorly executed. Spent considerable amounts of money putting on conventions, etc.. trying to convince company that constant change was normal and healthy. Yes, the concept is, but not they way Newark does it. Should have spent more time investing in their people and asking tenured employees for real solutions versus looking elsewhere for ways to patch, repair, fix, hide their bad decisions.

"Review"

Former Employee - EDI Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - EDI Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for self starters and beginners.
    Great solution selling training and experience.
    Great people to work with.
    Fun team events and happy hours.
    Good benefits.

Cons

The benefits are not great, there is still a bit of a disconnect amongst teams/departments although they are looking to improve on this
    Low salary.
    Commissions are taxed super high.
    Executive management is arrogant and blind to a lot of the real industry trends.
    Long hours just because it's the end of the month or end of the quarter.
    Service and products rarely actually work.
    High turnover rates.

Advice to Management

Good for self starters and beginners.If you want to retain top talent, please do more to show your employees you appreciate them. Free food and drinks are great, but the number one way to show appreciation is to offer a competitive salary. If that can't be done on the whole, at least provide your high performing individuals with something more, or wait for them to leave for brighter opportunities.

"review"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

love the people that work here

Cons

lots of changes are happening. things should get better after restructuring is done

Advice to Management

set strategy and stick to it

"Great Place to Get Your Feet Wet as a Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Newark Element 14 (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and time off start day one and are great. Friendly people and some are very hard working and knowledgeable. Engagement is fun when events are done every couple of months. It is a good place to learn a professional career and experience.

Cons

Too much turnover at the senior level trickles down causing a low morale and no sense of direction. Executives can never seem to stick to one clear path except making sure their pockets are lined. If a huge overhaul is done in a department, training of the new way is miserable, unorganized and too quick to really learn it and provide a good customer experience.

I really feel bad for our customers as they get jerked around a lot because our process and procedures do not work! To get a simple answer about why something is wrong or when they will get their parts, is slim to none. You are left scrambling to provide some sort of an answer to them. Customers expect things delivered at a certain time but lead times on non stocked items are never correct. To do something in our systems which is one simple thing, you have to look at several different screens while you have to maintain your availability, causing too much distraction and not being able to correctly handle the issue. There needs to be a system overhaul to where a task can be completed with the push of a couple buttons.

Our website is complete rubbish and nothing is done about it. Customers are always left wondering if the item they ordered is correct because a lot of parts do not have a proper picture (if one at all) or a clear description. Customers again see a lead time or stock, but get surprised when their order was not delivered on time. I think customers would be willing to wait for an item as long as they know up front when it will actually be delivered. Errors on the site are constant and when the issues are raised, there is always some type of road block.

There is always constant road blocks to getting something fixed because the company and executives are too worried about their bottom dollar to invest in long overdue system improvements.

Advice to Management

Fix the systems so we can provide customers with a clear answer right when we have them in front of us instead of waiting a couple of days for an answer. If we spend less time jumping through several over complicated screens that don't tell us how to do what we are doing without flipping through for ten minutes of a book, we would have more availability to take calls and respond to emails.

7. "Inside Sales Represenitive"

I worked at Newark Element 14 (More than 5 years)

Pros

People who currently work there

Cons

Direction of company where it's going

"Great company crippled by too much cost control"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good new offices in the West Loop, easily accessible by public transportation. Company offers nice perks to commuters, such as tax-free incentives for parking and public transport.

There are very good, hard-working, knowledgeable people working in this company, and there are plenty of learning opportunities for those willing to roll up their sleeves. People are willing to share their knowledge and many are also willing to learn. Coworkers are friendly, and the atmosphere "by the water cooler" in the corporate office is very laid back.

Work-life balance is encouraged even in those departments that are short-staffed. Recognition of good performance varies by department, but there are many high-performing teams and managers that recognize talent and untapped potential, and reward excellent performance.

The company does offer a good range of benefits, although they are rather expensive by comparison.

Cons

Little to no flextime (depending on department) - some ability to work from home, but limited by poor technology. The much-needed new ERP system is again on the back burner, as are many projects that require significant cash investment.

Very poor and subjective performance review process. No uniformity across the board - many managers rate their employees extremely highly despite the rating guidelines, which hurts those employees whose managers actually take the time to adhere to the rating standards, making it seem like their performance is not as good as other departments.

Some departments are very reluctant to adapt best practices, instead resorting to quick and easy fixes and putting band-aids on bullet wounds, rather than correcting recurring issues on the front end.

Severe lack of IT resources is crippling innovation. Every project proposal is scrutinized up and down, a huge investment of time and resources is required just to get something approved, much less implemented. Way too much red tape. Cost control is too much of a factor in decision making at all levels - it seems like upper management does not understand that they need to spend money to make money.

The company claims it promotes employee growth, but it's mostly empty words. Don't expect to be approved for any development opportunities that cost the company anything above $0. In-house people development is nonexistent at the company-wide level - no clear career paths, no career counseling, and getting a promotion is like pulling teeth. Even if you are lucky enough to be in a department that values your contributions, their efforts to develop you as an employee are often blocked at the HR level via seemingly endless hiring freezes & promotion freezes.

There are too many managers and not enough employees. There are manager-level employees with the company who only manage one person, or even none. This results in too many "working manager" roles. Senior management is also extremely top-heavy. The company is unwilling to cut the redundant VP roles and perform a much-needed flattening of the organization, but is more than happy to cut back on lower level staffing.

The company's main (and at times it seems, the only) focus is sales, sales, sales. But sales goals are consistently set too high, and are near impossible to achieve. This constant shortfall is killing morale, and not just for the sales team. The turnover rates have risen dramatically in the last few years, especially at management level. As people leave, they do not get replaced (cost control, remember?) - instead, their workload gets distributed to other people. Employees are overworked, tired, and under tremendous pressure to achieve the impossible - and to add insult to injury, salaries are abysmally below market average.

Advice to Management

This would be a great company if it was allowed to grow without being stifled by cost control. Starving the company will save money in the short term, but it can't improve without some capital investiture. You want to grab market share from your competitors? Invest in a new ERP, invest in IT resources, invest in your employees - offer them competitive pay and benefits, and more development opportunities. Make them good enough to go anywhere, but want to stay with your company. Develop a sense of community and pride in the company, and stop focusing so much on cost control - your employees are an asset, not a liability. Your organization is only as good as its people... so it may be worth it to note that you have excellent talent leaving your company in droves, and no one seems to be doing anything to stop it.

9. "Ok Place"

Pros

Nice co-workers, understanding managers, clear rules

Cons

Sometimes unprofessional, expectations sometimes too high

"The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same"

Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Newark Element 14 (More than 10 years)

Pros

My immediate co-workers (most of them) are hard working and dedicated to providing the best service and support to our customers.
    Benefits are good but sometimes trying to get a day off (PTO or sick) is a logistical nightmare trying to schedule through QMax.

Cons

Salespeople encounter roadblocks and barriers day in and day out with nearly all departments including but not limited to: Purchasing, Quotes, BOM team, warehouse, Customer Service, and E-Procurement. If all we had to do was grow the business, we'd be knocking it out of the park. Unfortunately, there are many errors "after the fact" that are out of our control but become our responsibility to make sure they get corrected. We are the face of Newark to the customer so we get it done but it's really out of the scope of our responsibility.
    There have been way too many changes year after year and the end result is always chaos and unsatisfied customers, both external and internal. Account base changes, territory changes, influx of new hires without account bases to support their role, layoffs of employees and expectations that those left behind should happily pick up the slack, new Sr. Management that get hired and last a limited amount of time while making even more changes that often make no sense. The list goes on!
    No raises for the second year in a row. Hard to advance in Sales role, mostly a lateral role where someone with no skills but a better account base or lower/more reasonable objective can enjoy a better bonus than the hardest worker on the team.

Advice to Management

Talk to the front line employees that deal with customers daily. We are the voice of our customers. They are tired of our changes just as much as we are. Get back to basics.
    Not sure why we keep paying consultants and taking surveys but none of our input really gets implemented.

By the way, Laurence Bain is no longer our CEO.