Newbury Comics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Michael Dreese

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best retail job ever!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, always felt respected by upper management, fun product

Cons

Downside- there isn't a store where I live now!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing :)

2. "Decent low pressure retail environment"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in South Portland, ME

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

See cool products, work with some cool people. Very low expectations for behavior. Employees can safely hit on customers and make sexual jokes to coworkers without feeling uncomfortable. If you want a place to work that won't give a crap how you behave, work here!

Cons

Low salary, even for shift management, very little flexibility for an employee's scheduling needs. Management doesn't care what employees say, they will just kind of do whatever they want. But if you don't want to work somewhere that expects anything of you, this place is great.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and less emotional in the way that you handle business.

3. "Cool store, pretentious staff"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in South Portland, ME

I worked at Newbury Comics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Newbury Comics in South Portland for quite some time and it's pretty magical. Really good discounts especially on fashion.

Cons

The staff was so rude to me for no reason whatsoever. Worked my butt off and they still never recognized it. Staff is full of quasi-millennial hipsters who play favoritism and won't even bat an eye at you if you're not buddy-buddy with them.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

4. "Fun...for a hobby"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Providence, RI

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with friends, meeting interesting people. its a real plus to listen to music all day long.

Cons

This company is a joke in regards to compensation and advancement. You can't ever move up unless you're sleeping with your boys or have boned the TM. most of the managers are either drunk on the job or screwing around with their employees.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and part your employees a livable wage.

5. "It's sometimes like it never even started"

Former Employee - Full Time Keyholder in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Full Time Keyholder in Manchester, CT

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discount was cool. Some of the people you worked with were cool. The product is cool.

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, a mentality of we will still be here even if you aren't. No respect for the people who broke their backs. Crappy pay, crappy pay.

Advice to Management

I loved working for this company, until you made me feel expendable. You could have attempted to pay me a livable wage. But it doesn't matter, you're still there and I am not.

"Overworked, under-appreciated. Not entirely horrible, but don't stay too long."

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Interesting and fun coworkers. Met some wonderful people there.
    -Laid back atmosphere; no dress code(other than the obvious--you're in a warehouse), allowed to listen to any music you want in your work area, black metal, gangster rap, whatever. Get left alone while working on orders, no one's getting on your back for no reason.
    -Nice discount on merchandise.
    -Great benefits- medical/dental, 401K, free tickets and promotional stuff like hats and pint glasses(stocked the cupboard for free!)
    -Some "stars" will come through occasionally. Marky Ramone came through with his line of pasta sauce and hung out for a couple hours. What a nice dude. The sauce was tasty too.
    -Cool break room, couches for napping, cheap vending, 25cent coffee in all sorts of delightful flavors. Surprise pizza and donuts.
    -The coffee truck guy, Mr. Snack, was AWESOME.

Cons

-Lousy pay for intensive labor.
    -Working 50-60+ hour weeks during holiday season, start at 7am, one 15 minute break around 11, then not allowed to take "lunch" until almost 8pm one night.
    -They'll give the buff, six-foot tall guy an order of greeting cards or jewelry and hand over the 60lb boxes of door posters that get stored atop a six foot shelf, to the skinny five-foot tall girl. (It's not favoritism, it's common sense and safety!)
    -Don't necessarily comply with all safety regulations-- open boxes of CDs and DVDs stacked four high on top of the shelves; don't pull one down, you might get clocked in the skull.
    -Stressed warehouse manager stormed into break room yelling and dropping f-bombs at stragglers in the break room--not our fault there's two drink machines for 100-someodd employees and some of us work downstairs.
    -Warehousers get dirty looks from high and mighty office workers. Everything changes once you walk onto the carpet!

Advice to Management

-OSHA exists for a reason, taking the time to ensure safety of employees in dark and dusty aisles outweighs any potential injuries or lawsuits.
    -Listen to base level workers- a pyramid won't stand without it's foundation.
    -Sure it's busy, but the whole department isn't going on lunch at the same time so don't expect someone to wait 10 hours to put food in their belly.
    -There's a lot of very intelligent and insightful people working there, their ideas should be heard, acknowledged and occasionally implemented!

"Good if you're high up... not so much if you're down low."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH

I worked at Newbury Comics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing I can think about is matching for your 401k. They will match 100% up to a certain amount from each of your paychecks. Also, you get a regular discount of I *think* 20%, and you get 60% off of apparel. Anything you can wear. Jewelry, shoes, clothing, accessories.

Cons

I worked in a REALLY run-down store in Salem, NH. There were house centipedes. The back room would occasionally get inches of water in it when it rained heavily because of the state of the building. There were dead insects in all of the drop-ceiling light tiles. Spiderwebs and dead insects in the front window displays. The store manager keeps a similar personal hygiene and he didn't like to do much physical work so it wasn't surprising that he didn't bother to keep the store clean. The pay was low. Less than $9.00/hr.

Advice to Management

You should really pay attention to your lower-rung employees. A lot of them are very smart and very motivated with a lot of promise. The store managers should really be setting an example for the other employees. Personal hygiene and willingness to work and help out are qualities the people running the stores should have.

"work in the warehouse"

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wear what you want, listen to whatever you want, as long as the kid who only listens to one Death Metal band for hours everyday all day doesn't gets to the boombox first.

Cons

Get ready to say "excuse me" hundreds of times a day to people who will not acknowledge your presences as they rush by you in a narrow dark aisle. Get ready for a lot of hung over hipsters and people who seem to have something against using deodorant. Get ready to work in what feels like a giant dark concrete underground high school.

Advice to Management

Put an end to the popularity contests, you're running a business not a high school.

"management"

Current Employee - Part of Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Part of Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Newbury Comics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work for the company make this job happen. The product is fun and the environment is ever changing. This company also encourages the best kind of customer service that in genuine and not "car salesman" like.

Cons

This job is very demanding and be expected to work around the clock.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and listen to your employees. This company also spreads their employees to thin with responsibility.

"Awesome job where job can suffice for your social life just expect low pay unless your in the office or management"

Former Employee - Associate/Key Holder/Management in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Associate/Key Holder/Management in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

no true dress code, music knowledge, meeting other coworkers and customers with similar interests. Christmas party still is best thing I have ever seen.

Cons

Scraping from paycheck to paycheck

Advice to Management

None management has always been good depending on location