Newell Rubbermaid Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

1.0
Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

"Run from this place."

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and the new building in Atlanta is beautiful.

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit but on friendship and alliances.
    Directors with limited experience outside the company.

Advice to Management

Some of your best employees are leaving and nobody cares.

Jun 27, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, pay is good if you get to a high enough level

Cons

Work you to death and always do more with less

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and not commodities

Apr 18, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"No longer an "I want to work here culture.""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people doing the work
    The benefits we did have that are going away (building with a gym, cafeteria and daycare)
    The brands

Cons

When I joined Newell Rubbermaid I came for the people, the brands and most of all the culture. I wanted to work somewhere that I enjoyed coming to each day. At the time Newell was ranked as a top place to work. And when the new Unilever management came in, while the changes often felt drastic, I agreed with most and felt they were necessary to make us more competitive with large CPG corporations. We had too many layers and each brand operated independently. We needed change.

Fast forward a few years into the new tenure and the changes that have been happening now are no longer for the betterment of the company and certainly not for employees. The new Newell is focused on the short term, the bottom line and stock price...oh and top management bonuses. In 2015 Newell said they were building an "I want to work here culture" while at the same time cutting almost every benefit for families and especially working moms. Maternity leave, healthcare coverage of birth and the company daycare were all cut. Now Newell has industry low and lower maternity leave coverage than almost every major corporation in Atlanta. And the changes add up for working families, the cuts add thousands of dollars in costs for a new Mom. Pretty pathetic for a company that owns the largest baby gear brand in the country. "We support moms, except our own..." When the head of HR held a meeting about the changes she compared having a baby to having cancer and said that she needed to make things more equitable globally, that we "didn't even know how good we had it in the US." A surprising statement given that the US ranks at the very bottom of industrialized countries for paid maternity leave. Even Newell's own employees in other countries receive significantly more paid leave. And all of these changes are very short sighted, bottom line focused policies. Just look in the media recently. Companies that have provided better leave and mother/family benefits have better retention, less costly turnover and not to mention better recruiting of a key demographic: women in the prime of their careers. It's hard enough to add the duties of being a mom without the stress of not feeling supported by your employer. And without a doubt Newell no longer supports or cares about Moms or families.

The new building is yet another short sighted, bottom line focused change. Employees are often attracted to Newell for its workspace and its benefits there- which are now going away. And teams are being split into separate buildings- people you have meetings with and work closely with everyday. This decision is completely counter productive. It's simply more efficient and collaborative to physically be with the people you work with. And yet another blow for working families is that the new building is further from the no longer supported daycare. The CEO actually described the distance "as the crow flies" but anyone who actually lives in Atlanta knows that even short distances can add significant time to your commute- time away from your family. (Perhaps management hasn't realized the benefit of an on site daycare. Employees are more deeply rooted in a company where their children are friends and they too become a tighter, invested community.) To top it off, in the new building employees won't even have their own desks or workspace. Every day they will come in and "hotel"- finding a space for the day. Can you imagine a more unwelcome feeling? Not even having a place where you can have a picture of your family or store your own files or anything? This isn't studying in a college library, it's a Fortune 500 company where working adults spend the majority of their waking hours. You need a space to call your own and a space you can actually think and concentrate in. Plus not to mention sitting by your team or your employees if you're a manager. The CEO mentioned that the savings could "double the advertising spend of a brand." That sounds great but I personally wouldn't trade 4 weeks of TV for the happiness and retention of my workforce- the people who develop and launch the products delivering that bottom line.

What it comes down to it, while current leadership is "dedicated" to delivering the number, that dedication doesn't extend to employees. They are only invested in the company in the short term (at least until their big bonuses pay out.) How could leaders who don't even live here be invested in the long term or even relate to its employees here? When you fly in on your company jet from your home in NYC, NJ, London, etc. you couldn't care as much about employees happiness and retention. Whereas we -the people doing the work to support your goals- live in Atlanta, want to be here, and want to be with a company for the long haul. A company that cares about and values us. Unfortunately, that's no longer Newell.

Advice to Management

Putting employees first isn't just an expense, it's an investment in retaining and attracting good talent and encouraging people to feel dedicated enough to a company to do their best work. This in turn creates more innovation, drive, and results not just in the short term but for the long term of the company.

Feb 23, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Newell Rubbermaid aspires to become one of the preeminent consumer brand companies in the world. We are committed to creating an “I want to work here” culture for... More

"Brand Marketing Is A Mess x2"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well known brands that have great business growth opportunities.

Cons

Executive leadership (primarily the CMO) is completely out of touch with the businesses. The process dictates that CMO must see all consumer facing material, for all brands, for all customers, no matter how big or small the investment. You can imagine how frurstrating it is to accomplish things in a timely manner (you don't). There is also zero collaboration between functional leadership and effective cross-functional team leadership is pretty much nonexistent. There is extreme misalignment for objectives across sales, trade, and brand marketing --which is creating a stalemate on almost every project and drives an incredible amount of employee turnover. The high turnover rate exacerbates the leadership, process, and structural issues and results in long hours, low fulfillment, and little actual productivity. Data manipulation runs rampant globally and budgeting & invoicing policies are legally questionable when compared to SOX requirements.

Advice to Management

I have zero faith in current leadership at the Executive or VP level to address any real issues within the organization. The CMO is over his head and should be outed immediately.

Jun 17, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We have shared your feedback with our leadership team.

"Absolute worst company that I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

It's a steady job and many of my coworkers are nice people

Cons

The culture is terrible. There is no trust of employees to make decision. Hierarchy is law at Newell.
    Absolutely no work life balance. The new 'flexible hours' thing is a scam. You can't really have flexible hours
    The location is horrible.
    The criteria for me to be promoted is outside of what I'm allowed to do within my role

Advice to Management

There's really no point in giving advice. In a few years, the C suite will have taken their money and left, not caring that they played a major role in making countless people miserable at work

Jun 16, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"Ever Changing with Very Poor Leadership!"

Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good brands, hard working people

Cons

- Very poor leadership
    - Poor culture
    - Political with who you know vs. what you know
    - No career development, simply reactive to issues, not strategic and no growth planning
    - This is a holding company not New product / innovation company.

Advice to Management

Sell company to a bigger CPG group like P&G, Stanley etc...The board look short term (3yrs) vs. long term

Apr 16, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"Interesting Job Location Posts"

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Starbucks in the corporate office.

Cons

Interesting how Newell moved all their designers to Kalamazoo Michigan, yet continues to still post design job openings in cities that don't have design anymore, like Chicago and Atlanta.

Mar 25, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"Building an I don't want to work here culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office is in a good location and overall, the people you work with (not for) are great. Good pay, decent benefits. There is a Starbucks, gym and daycare all on site in the Atlanta office and the casual dress code is nice.

Cons

Management is horrible. They don't seem to care about anything but the bottom line. They say they care about employees but their actions don't line up with their words. There is no trust and people are miserable. I have been hopeful that things would turn around, but it only seems to be getting worse, especially in HR.

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead and listen. Consistently show that you care. Trust your people and work to earn their trust - don't just assume that you have it because you don't.

"Depressing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The money is decent
    Well known company
    Great cafeteria, gym and employee store

Cons

Self-esteem constantly assaulted
    Demotions to save costs
    Morale in finance was at its worst
    Work life balance is terrible
    Except to work mandatory weekends and health care coverage was lousy
    Employees treated poorly and management is insensitive
    Never had an opportunity to take vacation
    I hated the job, it was a terrible company to work for. hated it

Advice to Management

Treat employees well

May 23, 2014 – Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your opinion. We always appreciate feedback from former employees and hope to utilize it to make NWL an even better place to work. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

10. "Disappointed. Company has lost a lot of good and loyal employees over the past couple of years."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with strong brands

Cons

Terrible employee culture! The leadership has changed and is only focused on driving stock prices up! Give employees a chance to learn and accept a change before making more changes as you loose the support and benefits for change. Unless you have a manager that believes in career development, no chance of getting promoted unless your manager is a "favorite" from leadership.

Advice to Management

Start promoting employees that work hard and earn it rather then promoting on favoritism. Stop being part of the problem and be part of the solution!