Newell Rubbermaid Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Newell Rubbermaid Atlanta Reviews

Updated September 23, 2017

Atlanta, GA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Current Contractor - IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

IT department is very learned
    Location is good.
    Salary is okay
    Working hours are pretty well defined

Cons

Business works in a separate league with IT and fails to accept responsibility.
    Work structure needs improvement
    Company moving to NJ from GA, so am concerned there will be further disconnect between business and IT.

Advice to Management

Good luck for future endeavors.

"Transportation & Distribution Lead"

Current Employee - Operations Lead- Transportation/Distribution in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead- Transportation/Distribution in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits in reference to purchases, 401K

Cons

No work life balance, work many 12hr shifts with late notice, and weekends also. Can work 14 days straight, no days off.

Jul 25, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Supply Planner/Buyer"

Former Employee - Supply Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Supply Planner in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance
    they really care about their employees and developing talent. I especially enjoyed all of the work within the community, i.e. Habitat for Humanity among others.

Cons

Salary is not aligned with the market and there's too much turnover and layoffs

Jun 20, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Run from this place."

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and the new building in Atlanta is beautiful.

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit but on friendship and alliances.
    Directors with limited experience outside the company.

Advice to Management

Some of your best employees are leaving and nobody cares.

Jun 27, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Great products"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Newell Rubbermaid was great. Awesome products that everyone is familiar with, and much improved focus on branding.

Cons

Communication was challenging at times, and could feel like operating in silos. This may have improved with the change in portfolio that has been happening the last few years.

Advice to Management

More focus on R&D and long term investment and less on wall street will help the company more in the long run.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"facilities coordinator"

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

nice cafeteria, great facility. parking deck on site and great technology within the facility for the various GBU's to utilize.

Cons

Environment can be stuffy at times, Communication from upper management can be confusing and misleading.

Advice to Management

try to be more transparent. stop shuffling people from various states to HQ as it is not cost effective if they won't get training to survive the constant changes.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, pay is good if you get to a high enough level

Cons

Work you to death and always do more with less

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and not commodities

Apr 18, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Manager - Category Strategy and Development"

Former Employee - Manager - Category Strategy and Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager - Category Strategy and Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Professional, Fun, Challenging, Helped me grow as a strategy manager.

Cons

Too many cutbacks, restructuring, taking the focus off of what we brought to the team and company.

Feb 12, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

"Run!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location - in the heart of Sandy Springs
    Decent Benefits

Cons

- Inexperienced management - they either have been at Newell their whole life and are stuck in their way of thinking, or they come in from the outside and are gone within the year.
    - Results driven culture - the company does not care about it's people. Every decision made is to please shareholders; this backfires because a lot of employees are not driven for results
    - Inconsistent policies - Don't believe in "Newell Flex" if you are offered a job. I have been offered zero flexibility after being promised flexible work arrangements.
    - Secretive - layoffs, organization changes, etc. are sprung on people out of no where. People who have been with the company for 20+ years could lose their job overnight, and there is no remorse for the employee
    - Long hours - too few people doing core jobs (i.e. finance) and too many people doing bogus jobs
    - No culture, whatsoever

I can't even imagine how bad things will get following the Jarden acquisition.

Advice to Management

Start actually investing in your employees; every company that does sees how rewarding it is.

Jan 27, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"No longer an "I want to work here culture.""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people doing the work
    The benefits we did have that are going away (building with a gym, cafeteria and daycare)
    The brands

Cons

When I joined Newell Rubbermaid I came for the people, the brands and most of all the culture. I wanted to work somewhere that I enjoyed coming to each day. At the time Newell was ranked as a top place to work. And when the new Unilever management came in, while the changes often felt drastic, I agreed with most and felt they were necessary to make us more competitive with large CPG corporations. We had too many layers and each brand operated independently. We needed change.

Fast forward a few years into the new tenure and the changes that have been happening now are no longer for the betterment of the company and certainly not for employees. The new Newell is focused on the short term, the bottom line and stock price...oh and top management bonuses. In 2015 Newell said they were building an "I want to work here culture" while at the same time cutting almost every benefit for families and especially working moms. Maternity leave, healthcare coverage of birth and the company daycare were all cut. Now Newell has industry low and lower maternity leave coverage than almost every major corporation in Atlanta. And the changes add up for working families, the cuts add thousands of dollars in costs for a new Mom. Pretty pathetic for a company that owns the largest baby gear brand in the country. "We support moms, except our own..." When the head of HR held a meeting about the changes she compared having a baby to having cancer and said that she needed to make things more equitable globally, that we "didn't even know how good we had it in the US." A surprising statement given that the US ranks at the very bottom of industrialized countries for paid maternity leave. Even Newell's own employees in other countries receive significantly more paid leave. And all of these changes are very short sighted, bottom line focused policies. Just look in the media recently. Companies that have provided better leave and mother/family benefits have better retention, less costly turnover and not to mention better recruiting of a key demographic: women in the prime of their careers. It's hard enough to add the duties of being a mom without the stress of not feeling supported by your employer. And without a doubt Newell no longer supports or cares about Moms or families.

The new building is yet another short sighted, bottom line focused change. Employees are often attracted to Newell for its workspace and its benefits there- which are now going away. And teams are being split into separate buildings- people you have meetings with and work closely with everyday. This decision is completely counter productive. It's simply more efficient and collaborative to physically be with the people you work with. And yet another blow for working families is that the new building is further from the no longer supported daycare. The CEO actually described the distance "as the crow flies" but anyone who actually lives in Atlanta knows that even short distances can add significant time to your commute- time away from your family. (Perhaps management hasn't realized the benefit of an on site daycare. Employees are more deeply rooted in a company where their children are friends and they too become a tighter, invested community.) To top it off, in the new building employees won't even have their own desks or workspace. Every day they will come in and "hotel"- finding a space for the day. Can you imagine a more unwelcome feeling? Not even having a place where you can have a picture of your family or store your own files or anything? This isn't studying in a college library, it's a Fortune 500 company where working adults spend the majority of their waking hours. You need a space to call your own and a space you can actually think and concentrate in. Plus not to mention sitting by your team or your employees if you're a manager. The CEO mentioned that the savings could "double the advertising spend of a brand." That sounds great but I personally wouldn't trade 4 weeks of TV for the happiness and retention of my workforce- the people who develop and launch the products delivering that bottom line.

What it comes down to it, while current leadership is "dedicated" to delivering the number, that dedication doesn't extend to employees. They are only invested in the company in the short term (at least until their big bonuses pay out.) How could leaders who don't even live here be invested in the long term or even relate to its employees here? When you fly in on your company jet from your home in NYC, NJ, London, etc. you couldn't care as much about employees happiness and retention. Whereas we -the people doing the work to support your goals- live in Atlanta, want to be here, and want to be with a company for the long haul. A company that cares about and values us. Unfortunately, that's no longer Newell.

Advice to Management

Putting employees first isn't just an expense, it's an investment in retaining and attracting good talent and encouraging people to feel dedicated enough to a company to do their best work. This in turn creates more innovation, drive, and results not just in the short term but for the long term of the company.

Feb 23, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Newell Rubbermaid aspires to become one of the preeminent consumer brand companies in the world. We are committed to creating an “I want to work here” culture for... More