Newell Rubbermaid Reviews in Huntersville, NC | Glassdoor

2.7
Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

"Lots of good, as long as you are the right demographic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT benefits. Cool products and a great brand. Nice people.

Cons

Nonsensical, poorly executed "matrix" management strategy is a joke. Company is aggressively recruiting younger workers, women and minorities. If you are a white male over forty you should look elsewhere.

The brands are suffering from excessive "value engineering" that is engineering the value out of the products. I was a Rubbermaid fan for a long time before joining the company, but, I would hesitate to purchase any product with more than two moving parts after seeing how they sacrifice durability to literally save a few pennies of margin.

Advice to Management

Quit chasing fads like open work spaces, etc. that destroy employee morale. You are literally killing your brand and your company by building products that don't last just to put an extra nickel of margin in the till. Pay attention to what is happening around you, there are hundreds of people "hanging scenery" and giving awesome powerpoint while adding no real value while there are fewer and fewer people around to do the actual work.

Also, HR is a complete joke. Mid year and annual reviews don't allow employees to respond or challenge unfair assessments by poor bosses. If you get a bad boss you are doomed.

Nov 2, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for the open feedback.

"Not for me"

Former Employee - Associate Packaging Engineer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Packaging Engineer in Huntersville, NC

Pros

-Great people (my co-workers pushed me to be my best)
    -Great brands (lots of interesting brands with great discounts)
    -Average 401K (4% match + RRSP (2-4% based on age and time with the company))
    -Potential for advancement (depending on the Jarden merger there could be major opportunities for advancement)
    -Brand control (Bosses allowed me lots of freedom in decision making)

Cons

-Low pay (Full-time associate packaging engineer starts at 55k +/- location, and raises are about 2% a year)
    -Overworked (Expect 50 hrs/ week and travel can vary from 0-80%, you may be out of country for weeks at a time)
    -No bonuses until Senior level
    -Major focus on marketing (Marketing received higher raises, bonuses at lower levels, and more advancement / international opportunities)
    -Slow advancement (must be part of the business for 2 years before considered for advancement, also must complete against co-workers (generally 2 internal advancements per year for ~50 people) unless other job postings are available)
    -All artwork must be approved by CMO (Results in delays to timelines and hits to my performance review)
    -Turn over (~20% of my co-workers have stayed in the 2 years I was there)
    -All about the shareholders (Newell is working hard to stay the darling of Wall Street at the loss of people and brand performance)

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the huge amounts of turnover!
    Pay your people comparable wages!
    Let lower level management (Directors down) make decisions instead of only focusing on margins.

Jul 25, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Perfection or else!"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Good Pay, a young vibrant culture where grass roots individuals are trying to make a difference in a continuously volatile environment

Cons

Everything is in flux, engineering has no standards or global specs. They expect you to be a CAD monkey and get things finished within unreasonable deadlines and constantly changing parameters. The newell way is this bogus smoke and mirrors rollout baselining the company's core values and has not taken a foothold.

Onsite HR is abysmal, I went to them with a communication issue with my manager and they took over 60 days to respond.

Morale is crap in the Huntersville office

Advice to Management

Stop changing everything and get your fundamentals in place. You're not going anywhere with ever shifting priorities and the negative talk between job functions.

Jan 7, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

"Ok company..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on your resume, lots of opportunities to move around within the company, gained good experience working with different departments

Cons

The company is always making changes so you do not feel very secure in your job. Management tries to make big changes very quickly and usually does not turn out well

Advice to Management

Take an interest in your employees and don't just treat them like a number. I feel extremely undervalued as an employee

Dec 3, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your insight.

"Not as bad as some people think"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance was great. it's generally only 40 hrs a week. There's always a case where you might spend more time than that in the office, but it's rare. I've worked for companies that expect much more.
    - Working in corporate means you generally have a free will to spend money. There were many team building events, team lunches/dinners
    - The company promotes community service. There are multiple opportunities to do Habitat builds, or other service things
    - Big company with many well known brands looks good on a resume
    - Pay and benefits were good. Not great, but good
    - Nice people
    - Nice office in nice area
    - Company is open to providing training course

Cons

- There was a general negativity about the company within the employees from all segments. I never thought it was a bad places or things were too awful, but the constant negativity from co-workers can take a toll
    - Upper management (VP and up) are generally withdrawn from the everyday tasks and only come around to tell you you're doing something wrong. Don't expect "good jobs", or "keep it ups from them"
    - There were a lot of new people while I was there due to a high turnover. This made things hectic at times because nobody knew processes or the proper ways to do things
    - Lots of tribal knowledge
    - Because it's a big company, you find your work exposure pretty limited. There's a lot of handing off that goes on which makes learning new skills difficult
    - Most of the products in general are pretty basic, so they don't present a very difficult challenge in terms of engineering
    - With my previous two comments, I'd say it's not the best place for recent engineering grads to start. There's just a lot that you end up missing out on, which can make it a difficult transition when moving to a different company. I'd suggest this company when you've had more exposure to all of the engineering facets that you might get at a smaller company. It is hard to say no to a big name though

Advice to Management

For manager and director levels- Keep up the good work. Stay close to employees so that you understand concerns they may have with products or the company in general. Don't be afraid to push back on people who are spreading negativity. It spreads like wildfire and can really hurt a culture.

For upper level (VP and up)- spend more time with the employees who are actually doing the work. Also, don't be afraid to get to know the people you critique on a personal level. You may be surprised to find out they are people too and want the best for the company also.

Sep 3, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We wish you the best of luck and hope that you'll consider Newell for future career opportunities.

"Newell-Rubbermaid Talked Big But Often Did Not Deliver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee training and development. Work facilities were above average with additional perks like cafeteria in the Atlanta HQ building. Company products were often available at deep discounts or sometimes free.

Cons

So many cons to list...frequent changes in senior management led to numerous shifts in strategy, serious issues with favoritism depending on the preferred company pedigree at the moment, limited career opportunities, mind boggling bureaucracy, annual cuts in human resources = poor morale, etc.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and not like a line item expense. Consider your investment in employee training before you decide to eliminate jobs so you can make your annual Wall Street projections.

Sep 24, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

"Newell Rubbermaid"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement assuming your willing to put in the effort

Cons

upper level management turnover every 3-4 years

Jul 31, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and commitment to Newell! We appreciate all you do!

8. "Brand Activation Intern Review"

Former Intern - Brand Activation in Huntersville, NC
    Former Intern - Brand Activation in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager was awesome - she let me take ownership of my projects, but was there whenever I needed her. My project was really meaningful as well. I really added value to the company.

Cons

I sat in a cubicle most days doing the same things. My job was fairly monotonous, but I was paid fairly well ($15/ hour) and the people were good.

Advice to Management

I would have enjoyed working more closely with the associate brand managers during my internship. I felt isolated some of the time.

"Rubber guys"

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name recognition opens doors

Cons

Don't care about their employees, definitely a "good Ole boys" club still, and way too much reorganization-can't be strategic.

Advice to Management

Read :cons:

Aug 10, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

"Supply chain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be leader in NPD

Cons

Now leader is how to improve bottom line with zero ideas on top line

May 20, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager