Newell Rubbermaid Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

"Disturbing"

Former Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN
    Former Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They are not afraid of investing in the new hires.

Cons

Buddy system prevails,
    You get "dismissed" without a warning,
    Upper management is unprofessional,
    Disregard for contractors.

Advice to Management

During my short stay there I noticed a lot of potential from contractors and full0-time associates being bashed, disrespected, and disregarded by upper management as they act as "I'll do whatever I want and screw you" attitude. No company in this world advances a lot, and that may just be why the facility in Maryville has such bad reviews from current and past employees. Perhaps you should teach your chain of command that the way they treat people reflects exactly what the company is like.

"I think production is intentionally sabotaged"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Gorham, ME
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Gorham, ME

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It's a pay check
    - Some decent benefits when you become fulltime
    - If you love nonsense overtime, you'll love it

Cons

Management is far from transparent. I came in as a material handler and have never ever seen such a horribly maintained/managed inventory. They have fulltime inventory control, but no one is held accountable. Points (attendance) is the only way to get terminated.
    Thus, work force doesn't care about quality of work when there's no performance evaluation. 30 cent raises each year across the board.
    It reached a pinnacle and I wondered, "is this intentional?". I have never seen such a terrible operation. Never. I believe they're gonna move the plant and use this horribly-run operation as their blueprint reasoning. Their hostile work environment does not work (to get results). These point setups only hurt the real working class.
    I quit after I had a supervisor bring me to his office and question me on reversing storage unit labels. He didn't specifically say it, but I had my hunches that he was accusing me of theft. Or trying to sabotage production.
    I'm not a operations specialist, but I can tell you that management has no idea what they're doing. They are looking to point fingers anywhere they can - and they know they can get away with it. The "at-will employee" title will forever be held above everyone's head until they finally quit or challenge their stupid points system.
    Don't go to Newell unless you DESPERATELY need a job. Have a backup plan if you MUST make the plunge. It's not worth. Absolutely not worth it.

Advice to Management

You guys are the worst people to ever work for. Hostile work environment galore. Your point system is trash and it's only a matter of time before someone challenges it. Too bad a lot of people don't know their rights, even as an "at will" employee.

Sep 23, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review of your previous role.

"Completely Lacking In Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great design studio facility, absolutely world class. Co-workers are great and talented.

Cons

The SVP design is completely lacking in any semblance of leadership skills, will not make tough calls and avoids conflict like a preschooler. It is clear he got to where he is by being a 'yes man' and completely bending over to do whatever brand marketing wants. I can here because of the great work and foundation that had been put in place, but joining this organization has been a mistake. If you want to stagnate in your career, put out mediocre work, have endless company 'events' and take home a paycheck, this is the place for you. If you want to put out quality work and truly be more than a service to marketing, do not make the same mistake I did. The department is poorly led, everything is last minute and a rush job - EVERYTHING! Stop focusing on superficial feel good meetings and get a stronger leader in here.

Advice to Management

Bring in design leadership with a backbone and knows how to fight for strong design results and take design to a level where it is more than a service.

Sep 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review. We encourage you to share your feedback with your Human Resources Business Partner and/or internal channels.

"Run from this place."

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and the new building in Atlanta is beautiful.

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit but on friendship and alliances.
    Directors with limited experience outside the company.

Advice to Management

Some of your best employees are leaving and nobody cares.

Jun 27, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, pay is good if you get to a high enough level

Cons

Work you to death and always do more with less

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and not commodities

Apr 18, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"No longer an "I want to work here culture.""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people doing the work
    The benefits we did have that are going away (building with a gym, cafeteria and daycare)
    The brands

Cons

When I joined Newell Rubbermaid I came for the people, the brands and most of all the culture. I wanted to work somewhere that I enjoyed coming to each day. At the time Newell was ranked as a top place to work. And when the new Unilever management came in, while the changes often felt drastic, I agreed with most and felt they were necessary to make us more competitive with large CPG corporations. We had too many layers and each brand operated independently. We needed change.

Fast forward a few years into the new tenure and the changes that have been happening now are no longer for the betterment of the company and certainly not for employees. The new Newell is focused on the short term, the bottom line and stock price...oh and top management bonuses. In 2015 Newell said they were building an "I want to work here culture" while at the same time cutting almost every benefit for families and especially working moms. Maternity leave, healthcare coverage of birth and the company daycare were all cut. Now Newell has industry low and lower maternity leave coverage than almost every major corporation in Atlanta. And the changes add up for working families, the cuts add thousands of dollars in costs for a new Mom. Pretty pathetic for a company that owns the largest baby gear brand in the country. "We support moms, except our own..." When the head of HR held a meeting about the changes she compared having a baby to having cancer and said that she needed to make things more equitable globally, that we "didn't even know how good we had it in the US." A surprising statement given that the US ranks at the very bottom of industrialized countries for paid maternity leave. Even Newell's own employees in other countries receive significantly more paid leave. And all of these changes are very short sighted, bottom line focused policies. Just look in the media recently. Companies that have provided better leave and mother/family benefits have better retention, less costly turnover and not to mention better recruiting of a key demographic: women in the prime of their careers. It's hard enough to add the duties of being a mom without the stress of not feeling supported by your employer. And without a doubt Newell no longer supports or cares about Moms or families.

The new building is yet another short sighted, bottom line focused change. Employees are often attracted to Newell for its workspace and its benefits there- which are now going away. And teams are being split into separate buildings- people you have meetings with and work closely with everyday. This decision is completely counter productive. It's simply more efficient and collaborative to physically be with the people you work with. And yet another blow for working families is that the new building is further from the no longer supported daycare. The CEO actually described the distance "as the crow flies" but anyone who actually lives in Atlanta knows that even short distances can add significant time to your commute- time away from your family. (Perhaps management hasn't realized the benefit of an on site daycare. Employees are more deeply rooted in a company where their children are friends and they too become a tighter, invested community.) To top it off, in the new building employees won't even have their own desks or workspace. Every day they will come in and "hotel"- finding a space for the day. Can you imagine a more unwelcome feeling? Not even having a place where you can have a picture of your family or store your own files or anything? This isn't studying in a college library, it's a Fortune 500 company where working adults spend the majority of their waking hours. You need a space to call your own and a space you can actually think and concentrate in. Plus not to mention sitting by your team or your employees if you're a manager. The CEO mentioned that the savings could "double the advertising spend of a brand." That sounds great but I personally wouldn't trade 4 weeks of TV for the happiness and retention of my workforce- the people who develop and launch the products delivering that bottom line.

What it comes down to it, while current leadership is "dedicated" to delivering the number, that dedication doesn't extend to employees. They are only invested in the company in the short term (at least until their big bonuses pay out.) How could leaders who don't even live here be invested in the long term or even relate to its employees here? When you fly in on your company jet from your home in NYC, NJ, London, etc. you couldn't care as much about employees happiness and retention. Whereas we -the people doing the work to support your goals- live in Atlanta, want to be here, and want to be with a company for the long haul. A company that cares about and values us. Unfortunately, that's no longer Newell.

Advice to Management

Putting employees first isn't just an expense, it's an investment in retaining and attracting good talent and encouraging people to feel dedicated enough to a company to do their best work. This in turn creates more innovation, drive, and results not just in the short term but for the long term of the company.

Feb 23, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Newell Rubbermaid aspires to become one of the preeminent consumer brand companies in the world. We are committed to creating an “I want to work here” culture for ... More

"production staff"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Winchester, VA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than 3 years)

Pros

plenty of work, they have a nice dinner once a year, its in a good location

Cons

conditions are bad, sponsors have to many favorites, to much sexual interaction, to much drug use on the property, sponsors turn the other way to keep employees, yet are extremely harsh on others, you have to promise sexual favors to advance at this job, and are harassed all the time, very neg people here mostly older employees to keep job security lie and twenty more to back them up, favor for favor here, nothing to do with ethics in this business

Advice to Management

get new all new sponsors who have not had sexual relations with asso. or lived with them, and make the rules for all not some, they grossly misuse their power there and back up each others lies, they can't even keep a decent HR staff

Feb 29, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We take these matters very seriously. I ask that you please share your concerns with our Ethics & Compliance team via ethics@newellco.com or 855-NR-Ethic ... More

"Company not so great to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in High Point, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really just a nice office

Cons

Have to do a training class like if it kindergarten, 30 min lunches, horrible severe weather policies, seems favoritism plays a huge role especially towards blacks since they seem to favor them mostly ( most of the leadership is black) and other races are seen as whatever ( no promotions or opportunities to grow) , promise a lot of stuff and they dont meet promises.

Advice to Management

Restructure everything. Give people freedom, 1 hour lunches, get rid of the occurrence system and stop discriminating and give everybody a chance regardless of what color or ethnicity they come from.

Jan 27, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

We appreciate your candid feedback. If you would like to share any specifics, please contact ethics@newellco.com.

"Worst place that I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

None, it's just a job!

Cons

ATL DC is the worst managed warehouse that I have ever worked in, employees are not allowed to voice concerns or opinions. Complaints fall on deaf ears, even when brought to the attention of corporate management

Dec 3, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for helping us improve by leaving a review.

"Newell Rubbermaid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work in this customer service center go above & beyond to provide exceptional service to the companies and individuals. This site has more than doubled in size in less than 2 years.

Cons

There is not much training for current staff; very little opportunity to branch into other fields once a person gets pegged into "customer service" and many of the supervisors lack good management skills

Advice to Management

Increase the training for current employees that may want to move beyond customer service but remain with the company - there are too many talented people who are not being challenged or encouraged in their career development.

Dec 3, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback!