Newell Rubbermaid Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

1. "Very hard at first"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breaks are ok.. the people are nice and friendly.. they come around with drinks to stay hydrated.

Cons

When I started working there they put me on the big product lines.. I almost couldn't even drive home in the morning. The heat is excessive but manageable. My seccound day I had to lift huge bins for 12 hours all night long by myself. Trust me it's hard.

Advice to Management

Maybe let new employees train at half shifts if it's for the bigger equipment? Maybe don't have people get thrown right in because the work is very hard on someone (even if coming from a construction background)

Jun 23, 2017 – TA Analyst

"Supply Planner"

Current Employee - Supply Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Planner in Atlanta, GA

Pros

flexible working time. Can work at home

Cons

Turn over rate is so high. Moving to new building that do not have Gym

Sep 30, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Not for me"

Former Employee - Associate Packaging Engineer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Packaging Engineer in Huntersville, NC

Pros

-Great people (my co-workers pushed me to be my best)
    -Great brands (lots of interesting brands with great discounts)
    -Average 401K (4% match + RRSP (2-4% based on age and time with the company))
    -Potential for advancement (depending on the Jarden merger there could be major opportunities for advancement)
    -Brand control (Bosses allowed me lots of freedom in decision making)

Cons

-Low pay (Full-time associate packaging engineer starts at 55k +/- location, and raises are about 2% a year)
    -Overworked (Expect 50 hrs/ week and travel can vary from 0-80%, you may be out of country for weeks at a time)
    -No bonuses until Senior level
    -Major focus on marketing (Marketing received higher raises, bonuses at lower levels, and more advancement / international opportunities)
    -Slow advancement (must be part of the business for 2 years before considered for advancement, also must complete against co-workers (generally 2 internal advancements per year for ~50 people) unless other job postings are available)
    -All artwork must be approved by CMO (Results in delays to timelines and hits to my performance review)
    -Turn over (~20% of my co-workers have stayed in the 2 years I was there)
    -All about the shareholders (Newell is working hard to stay the darling of Wall Street at the loss of people and brand performance)

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the huge amounts of turnover!
    Pay your people comparable wages!
    Let lower level management (Directors down) make decisions instead of only focusing on margins.

Jul 25, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review.

"Transportation & Distribution Lead"

Current Employee - Operations Lead- Transportation/Distribution in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead- Transportation/Distribution in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits in reference to purchases, 401K

Cons

No work life balance, work many 12hr shifts with late notice, and weekends also. Can work 14 days straight, no days off.

Jul 25, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

"Not the place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful , modern NY office located in a great area. Pay and benefits are decent. Free soda and juice always available.

Cons

So upset that I accepted the job here. Don't make the same mistake I did. Beautiful, Union Square office. Unfortunately, the beauty of this company stops there.

Departments are very segregated and no one knows who does what. Though this office is located in NY, 95% of the job requires you to work with employees outside of this office who don't want to work with you, don't answer emails or phone calls, and are very disrespectful.

Upper management gives no strategic direction. Often given last minute tasks that you have to rely on other people to give you information to complete. Yes, the people who don't work in the office, who don't answer emails or calls.

Office morale is low, required to keep your desk completely clean at all times, no paper, no personal items, only the white top is allowed, and your computer monitor has to be straight. Don't even think about getting caught with food at your desk!

You're expected to be available by cell 24/7, to travel when they need, and to be in the office 9 hours a day, no exceptions. There are often work events that start as early as 8am you have to attend and evening outings you will receive criticism for not going to. Don't think about taking a day off or getting sick as this is frowned upon.

Pay and benefits are decent but, this is New York. There are plenty of engaging, innovative, exciting companies you can work at that won't treat you like a preschooler.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review. We encourage you to share your feedback for improvement with your Human Resources Business Partner.

"facilities coordinator"

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

nice cafeteria, great facility. parking deck on site and great technology within the facility for the various GBU's to utilize.

Cons

Environment can be stuffy at times, Communication from upper management can be confusing and misleading.

Advice to Management

try to be more transparent. stop shuffling people from various states to HQ as it is not cost effective if they won't get training to survive the constant changes.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

7. "Design Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Design Coordinator in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Contractor - Design Coordinator in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to top brands.
    Ability to work from home.
    Good community for full time employees.

Cons

Little to no room for advancement for contracted employees, management often gives employees the feeling of false hope.
    Wishy-washy leadership, some Senior Managers are great while others are incapable of communicating with their employees.
    Ultimately Marketing has final say.
    Terrible copywriting coming from Marketing teams, company won't hire talented copywriters.

Advice to Management

Focus less about the dollar amount and more about the employee working for it.

"Run!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location - in the heart of Sandy Springs
    Decent Benefits

Cons

- Inexperienced management - they either have been at Newell their whole life and are stuck in their way of thinking, or they come in from the outside and are gone within the year.
    - Results driven culture - the company does not care about it's people. Every decision made is to please shareholders; this backfires because a lot of employees are not driven for results
    - Inconsistent policies - Don't believe in "Newell Flex" if you are offered a job. I have been offered zero flexibility after being promised flexible work arrangements.
    - Secretive - layoffs, organization changes, etc. are sprung on people out of no where. People who have been with the company for 20+ years could lose their job overnight, and there is no remorse for the employee
    - Long hours - too few people doing core jobs (i.e. finance) and too many people doing bogus jobs
    - No culture, whatsoever

I can't even imagine how bad things will get following the Jarden acquisition.

Advice to Management

Start actually investing in your employees; every company that does sees how rewarding it is.

Thank you for your review.

"Good resume builder...but not worth it"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, recognizable brands. Decent salary and some flexibility...but you have to be "on" 24/7. Company store has good discounts on the brands so that's a plus.

Cons

When I first joined the company I was excited, but when thrown into my role with no onboarding, I should have known. I came from "the outside" and can quickly see people that have been here forever are just brainwashed talking-heads for leadership. Decisions are made based on what we think will get "approved". There is so much angst across teams. Culture full of anxiety, no work life balance, and fear of the next big change that could affect your job. The Newell Way and Growth Game Plan make me roll my eyes.

Advice to Management

Realize you have to empower people to get your glorified growth. We're not mindless worker bees or chess pieces to move around where you see fit.

Jan 27, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We are always open to feedback and encourage you to share your ideas for improvement with us. Please email: employee.engagement@newellco.com

"This place needs a union"

Current Employee - Operator in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Operator in Winchester, VA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Opportunities for advancement on factory floor. It's been a pleasure to work with many people over the years.

Cons

Forced overtime in fifth straight month. Safety record the worst in four years. Machine speed-up without compensation. I'm not a union guy, but we need one.

Advice to Management

Management training for all factory floor supervisory positions. Too many people promoted without personal/management skills. Scrap the forced overtime and hire people to work the machines.