Newell Rubbermaid Reviews | Glassdoor

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance is great, working from home is encouraged in some departments (in 47 reviews)

• Great people to work with and can develop lasting friendships with colleagues (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 25 reviews)

"facilities coordinator"

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

nice cafeteria, great facility. parking deck on site and great technology within the facility for the various GBU's to utilize.

Cons

Environment can be stuffy at times, Communication from upper management can be confusing and misleading.

Advice to Management

try to be more transparent. stop shuffling people from various states to HQ as it is not cost effective if they won't get training to survive the constant changes.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

2. "Newell Rubbermaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relationships with middle management peers, directors and VP's, solid benefits and salary that included a company vehicle for remote field employees.

Cons

Difficult to be part of a company that shut down multiple domestic manufacturing/distribution facilities that had historical significance, inconsistent vision.

Advice to Management

Reconsider going to third parties for logistics and in store service. Do not allow employees to transfer and/or promote out of a position with less than eighteen months in current position.

May 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

Thank you for your review.

"Good Consumer Products Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Decent place to work, plenty of household brands you could feel good you worked for. Great deal of change management activities.

Cons

Company continuously struggling with who they wanted to be. Leadership created great uncertainty with employees because of the constant restructuring which continue for about 18 months even after I left.

Mar 22, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

4. "Headquarters"

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Relaxed dress code and casual atmosphere

Cons

Too driven by the bottom line

Mar 22, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, pay is good if you get to a high enough level

Cons

Work you to death and always do more with less

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and not commodities

Apr 18, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Systems and Operations Analyst

6. "Consumer Care Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, nice people to work with. Cool and hip office but people are awkward and have "clicks"

Cons

Lack of feedback, Office environment is very black and white. Very quiet atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Give better feedback to your agents/managers. Its very important for them to understand the inner workings of goals and achievements.

Feb 29, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"Manager - Category Strategy and Development"

Former Employee - Manager - Category Strategy and Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager - Category Strategy and Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Professional, Fun, Challenging, Helped me grow as a strategy manager.

Cons

Too many cutbacks, restructuring, taking the focus off of what we brought to the team and company.

Feb 12, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

"Run!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location - in the heart of Sandy Springs
    Decent Benefits

Cons

- Inexperienced management - they either have been at Newell their whole life and are stuck in their way of thinking, or they come in from the outside and are gone within the year.
    - Results driven culture - the company does not care about it's people. Every decision made is to please shareholders; this backfires because a lot of employees are not driven for results
    - Inconsistent policies - Don't believe in "Newell Flex" if you are offered a job. I have been offered zero flexibility after being promised flexible work arrangements.
    - Secretive - layoffs, organization changes, etc. are sprung on people out of no where. People who have been with the company for 20+ years could lose their job overnight, and there is no remorse for the employee
    - Long hours - too few people doing core jobs (i.e. finance) and too many people doing bogus jobs
    - No culture, whatsoever

I can't even imagine how bad things will get following the Jarden acquisition.

Advice to Management

Start actually investing in your employees; every company that does sees how rewarding it is.

Jan 27, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

9. "A great Company"

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer - Brazil in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer - Brazil in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than 3 years)

Pros

A multibrands with great success in USA, great professional opportunities and high level of integrity. In USA the work-life balance is possible and incentivated. Good variable compensation package.A multibrands with great sucess in USA, great professional opportunities, and high level of integraty. In USA work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of a hohttps://translate.google.com.br/mogenic level of local expertize in South America. Frequent restructurings causing disruption of plans and internal competition. What finally jeopardize growth consistency.

Feb 12, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

"No longer an "I want to work here culture.""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people doing the work
    The benefits we did have that are going away (building with a gym, cafeteria and daycare)
    The brands

Cons

When I joined Newell Rubbermaid I came for the people, the brands and most of all the culture. I wanted to work somewhere that I enjoyed coming to each day. At the time Newell was ranked as a top place to work. And when the new Unilever management came in, while the changes often felt drastic, I agreed with most and felt they were necessary to make us more competitive with large CPG corporations. We had too many layers and each brand operated independently. We needed change.

Fast forward a few years into the new tenure and the changes that have been happening now are no longer for the betterment of the company and certainly not for employees. The new Newell is focused on the short term, the bottom line and stock price...oh and top management bonuses. In 2015 Newell said they were building an "I want to work here culture" while at the same time cutting almost every benefit for families and especially working moms. Maternity leave, healthcare coverage of birth and the company daycare were all cut. Now Newell has industry low and lower maternity leave coverage than almost every major corporation in Atlanta. And the changes add up for working families, the cuts add thousands of dollars in costs for a new Mom. Pretty pathetic for a company that owns the largest baby gear brand in the country. "We support moms, except our own..." When the head of HR held a meeting about the changes she compared having a baby to having cancer and said that she needed to make things more equitable globally, that we "didn't even know how good we had it in the US." A surprising statement given that the US ranks at the very bottom of industrialized countries for paid maternity leave. Even Newell's own employees in other countries receive significantly more paid leave. And all of these changes are very short sighted, bottom line focused policies. Just look in the media recently. Companies that have provided better leave and mother/family benefits have better retention, less costly turnover and not to mention better recruiting of a key demographic: women in the prime of their careers. It's hard enough to add the duties of being a mom without the stress of not feeling supported by your employer. And without a doubt Newell no longer supports or cares about Moms or families.

The new building is yet another short sighted, bottom line focused change. Employees are often attracted to Newell for its workspace and its benefits there- which are now going away. And teams are being split into separate buildings- people you have meetings with and work closely with everyday. This decision is completely counter productive. It's simply more efficient and collaborative to physically be with the people you work with. And yet another blow for working families is that the new building is further from the no longer supported daycare. The CEO actually described the distance "as the crow flies" but anyone who actually lives in Atlanta knows that even short distances can add significant time to your commute- time away from your family. (Perhaps management hasn't realized the benefit of an on site daycare. Employees are more deeply rooted in a company where their children are friends and they too become a tighter, invested community.) To top it off, in the new building employees won't even have their own desks or workspace. Every day they will come in and "hotel"- finding a space for the day. Can you imagine a more unwelcome feeling? Not even having a place where you can have a picture of your family or store your own files or anything? This isn't studying in a college library, it's a Fortune 500 company where working adults spend the majority of their waking hours. You need a space to call your own and a space you can actually think and concentrate in. Plus not to mention sitting by your team or your employees if you're a manager. The CEO mentioned that the savings could "double the advertising spend of a brand." That sounds great but I personally wouldn't trade 4 weeks of TV for the happiness and retention of my workforce- the people who develop and launch the products delivering that bottom line.

What it comes down to it, while current leadership is "dedicated" to delivering the number, that dedication doesn't extend to employees. They are only invested in the company in the short term (at least until their big bonuses pay out.) How could leaders who don't even live here be invested in the long term or even relate to its employees here? When you fly in on your company jet from your home in NYC, NJ, London, etc. you couldn't care as much about employees happiness and retention. Whereas we -the people doing the work to support your goals- live in Atlanta, want to be here, and want to be with a company for the long haul. A company that cares about and values us. Unfortunately, that's no longer Newell.

Advice to Management

Putting employees first isn't just an expense, it's an investment in retaining and attracting good talent and encouraging people to feel dedicated enough to a company to do their best work. This in turn creates more innovation, drive, and results not just in the short term but for the long term of the company.

Feb 23, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Newell Rubbermaid aspires to become one of the preeminent consumer brand companies in the world. We are committed to creating an “I want to work here” culture for... More