Newland Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert B. McLeod

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing"

I worked at Newland Communities full-time

Pros

Intelligent development. Can't keep good people because they don't listen.

Cons

Abusive former executive, no longer with the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and act when there's a pattern.

2. "Pay is great. (Some) managers are not."

Pros

Get raises and bonuses every year. Salaries are well above average. Pretty flexible work environment. Great benefits.

Cons

Lack of leadership and management. The operations team and marketing team members are pretty separated. Leaders who don't know what they're doing, which created an uncomfortable and hostile work environment for all involved.

Advice to Management

Please provide managers with training, classes, seminars, etc. on how to be better leaders. Also, higher ups need to check in once or twice a year to see how subordinates feel their manager is doing.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits, great office environment, very nice people. I never had a problem going to work!

Cons

Upper management in corporate office thought constant change was best rather than leaving processes in place that worked.

Advice to Management

Promote within company rather than insisting on a degree. Most the time experience wins over a degreed person with minimal experience. Corporate office should treat all employees fairly.

"Poor Management at Estrella by Newland Center"

Former Employee - Community Representative in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Newland Communities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the guests who come to the center to learn about the community and helping them find their dream home.

Cons

Management is completely detached. No training, no supervision. Management is much too concerned with their person needs rather than the best interest of the company and employees.

Advice to Management

Put management on site that is engaged and committed to bring the center to its full potential. Train management on HR and company policies.

"Lacking true leadership"

Pros

Good insurance benefits. Nice office setting.

Cons

Managers lack leadership skills and personal traits to gather support from team. Managers have no training in HR. Managers wait until employee review to bring up areas of concern instead of throughout the year when issues can be worked on.

Advice to Management

Be a better example of how a leader should act. Make time to interface will all employees. Act professionally.

"Too many Chiefs"

Former Employee - Administrator-Office Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Administrator-Office Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Newland Communities (More than 3 years)

Pros

the pay was good and so was the management at the time

Cons

management changed and everything went downhill

7. "Not satisfied"

Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX

Pros

Great Benefits
    Always provides Lunches and treats for staff
    Huge employers can learn a lot about real estate and project management

Cons

-Tense atmosphere
    -Does not value hard working employees, only values brown nosers
    -Not willing to train and too much of an expectation from new employees
    -Smile in your face and stab you in the back
    -Hardly any diversity in the office, although I am Caucasian, I find it odd that there still aren't any minorities in the entire regional office. In the past year, whenever we have hired a minority they would not last for a month and the same excuse was used to let them all go.
    -Cares about certain employees
    -Does not give employees a chance to promote from within
    -The company always hires temporary employees so that we can train them and then management lets them go for negative personal reasons.

Advice to Management

*Start selecting candidates based on what they know and not who they know. Hire based on their qualifications and not who knows who in the office.
    *Add more diversity in the Houston office, hire more qualified people from different ethnic backgrounds because diversity can contribute to further growth.
    *Provide opportunities for employees to promote from within
    *Change the company's culture
    *Advice if you are going to hire a temp employee do not require us to train them if you don't want to retain them instead of wasting our time retraining someone else. This is bad decision making from managers and that slows down our progress in getting the work done

"Great place to work when real estate is booming."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

This is a great place to work when real estate is booming. They pay well and give big bonuses. They have lots of social events and spare no expense at these event.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic expectations and expects people to work nights and weekends to meet those expectations. They prefer to hire outside, rather than promote from within. When money gets tight, bonuses disappear, raises get slashed, social events get canceled. Yet they continue to hire VP's while they're laying people off.

Advice to Management

Have some faith in the people that work for you and promote from within.

"It might have been better had I been in a bigger office."

Former Employee - Administrative and Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative and Marketing Assistant

Pros

I worked for the Marketing Department, which had the most thorough style guide that I've ever seen so a lot of energy and time was spent in creating their plan. Also, Newland partners with other organizations (i.e. Life is Good) to "give back" to the communities they build in. I was most impressed with how hard they tried to improve the quality of the lifestyle their creating in their communities (i.e. parks, fitness centers, LEED certifications). Newland tries to improve communication between their home office and regional offices (which they seem to accept that their are challenges in this area). The year I left, they just unveiled a company-wide intranet which was very nice. Finally, when the market is doing well they have an excellent bonus structure that I wish other companies would adopt.

Cons

Newland relies too heavily on communication via email and the intranet. Frequently, what is said is misinterpeted which causes problems between employees that could be prevented if a phone call was made or a meeting in person. The small satellite offices get neglected by their regional office. Also, they treat their regions as a "whole" instead of looking at the individual communities that make up that region. Our community was the highest performing community in the region but since our region was performing the lowest, everyone was treated as if they weren't working hard enough to meet their goals. This creates an unfair working envirnoment.

Advice to Management

Keep better tabs on your regional offices, require them to work closely with all their satellite offices! Take the time to praise the individual communities that are doing a great job, not just the high performing REGIONS. Try to keep spirits high even when the market is low. I understand riffing positions to save dollars but this also results in people being stretched thin because they are performing the work of three people and getting little to no recognition for it. A little praise would go a long way and it is FREE. Pay close attention to the moral of the employees in your satellite offices, not just your home office or regional offices.

"Old company that changed from the inside out"

Former Employee - Work Horse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Work Horse in San Diego, CA

Pros

The 3 original founders of the company are wonder people and great leaders

Cons

As the company grew during the real estate boom and as the 3 original founders aged, it was very natural for them to start on a succession plan for the company. This meant bringing in more middle and senior management. However some of their choices were outright poor. This lead to a drastic change in company culture as well as high turn over.

Advice to Management

I believe a lot of the new management that was brought in is now gone. I know for sure one of their worst hires is gone now, so that's a very positive thing. I guess I would say try to get back what made you successful up until the boom. The company has been around for over 20 years and when I first started it was a great place to work.