Newmont Mining Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 2, 2017

1.0
Gary J. Goldberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are good, coworkers are friendly (in 20 reviews)

• They provide great benefits with reasonable pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have some issues with work life balance in Winnemucca or Elko as the towns aren't exactly college student friendly (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours including commute time (in 8 reviews)

1. "horrible environment"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits..thumbs up

Cons

horrible environment very old boys network

Advice to Management

train your managers

2. "Do not recommend"

Pros

Friendly colleagues, the company likes to have catered lunches.

Cons

No job security, benefits, paid sick leave or vacations.

3. "Company not interested in diversity"

Pros

Fortune 500, pays well while gold prices are high

Cons

Very good company to work for if you're a white male, otherwise it's very hard. Women are hired just for a diversity checkmark unless it's an all female department such as HR.

"Heavy equipment mechanic"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Mechanic

Pros

There are no pros unless you're starting off in management. You will work a terrible 10-12hr schedule rotating days and nights.

Cons

This company bought a gold mine I've been employed with for 4 years, they have owned it for about a year now. Our introduction to our new Newmont Mine Manager started with him saying if you don't like how we operate leave you're NOT needed. We were fully self insured and did not have to pay for insurance (being paid less than the national average as miners) we are now required to pay for our insurance, being told it's better insurance (to keep our spirits up). It is not better insurance and we were not given raises to match current national wages (including other mines owned by Newmont). Our community relations department was closed and our company is doing much less for our community. We used to win big prizes at company picnics like vochures for a free set of tires, not anymore. Newmont has proven after offering more than asking price for our company, that they do not care about us the people who do the work in -30 degree weather, work 13-14 hour days far too often , bust knuckles, are unable to maintain friends outside of work because of our insane schedule.

Advice to Management

I really have no advice, I do not like this company, thier values, or the amount of damage they reap on our fragile ecosystem.

"Cut-Throat IT department"

Pros

Good benefits and and could be a good place to work once IT management is replaced!

Cons

Toxic work environment within IT. Especially the two Senior IT Executives/directors throw even their own team member under the bus for their own gains. Could not trust anyone in the IT department. The Senior IT Executives/directors always preached one thing in department meetings and would go out and do exactly the opposite!

Advice to Management

Stay away from the IT department until the IT management is FIRED once their complete incompetence is realized by upper management!

"Outsourced to India"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

Great team, great pay and benefits. Invested in current technologies.

Cons

Political hierarchy. Minimal advancement opportunities. Second time in seven years they have outsourced. First time was a mistake and this time does not appear to be shaping up any better.

Advice to Management

Management should be ashamed. They sacrificed great talent in lieu of inferior talent in an attempt to save money while giving the left over personnel promotions and bonuses.

"Outsourced to inferior Indian IT outfit."

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with was top notch and the pay and benefits were above average.

Cons

Company sees IT as a necessary evil and decided to outsource all of it to India. This is the second time in 5 years they have done this. First time was a disaster and the second time doesn't look to be any better.

Advice to Management

Care about ALL employees and recognize IT as an integral part of mining, not something to let unqualified people handle.

"Disappointed in the company's direction"

Pros

generous vacation, health benefits, and volunteer opportunities for those less fortunate.

Cons

Newmont is outsourcing its IT department to India and laying off American workers. Since this has happened morale has become very low, and it's not a fun environment in which to work anymore.

Advice to Management

Management should be ashamed that very talented American workers are being laid off and their jobs outsourced to India. Not only are the outsourcers cheap, but the business is going to suffer because of the lack of expertise from these foreign workers. The old adage holds true, "you get what you pay for".

"Newmont MIning sending jobs to India"

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Flexible work schedule. Great work location. There were a lot more Pros to working at Newmont until they decided to outsource many jobs to India.

Cons

Sending jobs to India. Hiring non US employees. Too top heavy. They layoff the workers and keep the mass of upper management.

Advice to Management

Keep jobs in the US!!!!!! Why send jobs to India when you have very competent employees here that are doing a great job. Saving costs is bull! How much $ are you sending to do this transition??

"Category Manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much, poor management, cutthroat team environment. Inconsistent goals, objectives and constant undercutting people who do the work. The environment creates managements look at me attitude amongst the teams.

Cons

If you like others throwing others under the bus constantly, work here. If you value relationships, this place will make you think everyone in the world is a devious con artist. If not don't work here. Management thinks they are gods and makes all employees think about themselves. A lot of unnecessary drama here. Oh and constant layoffs. Do you want to fear for your job every day? Then work for Newmont. The culture is horrendous and unsupportive. If you want to go to work and feel motivated, don't apply here, you won't find it.

Advice to Management

You need a reality check. Those who make comments like feed the grass to fruition, this isn't your same old Dallas Cowboys, elephant in the room, and nothing but buzzwords in meetings, etc, you're not driving the bus, you're creating uncertainty. Learn the fundamentals, trust your employees, and put less value on consultants who are fresh out of college and know nothing about how to run a company. Find core values and stick to them. Follow the fundamentals, create department guidelines that are followed for 20, 30 years to come rather than weekly monthly strategy changes. Put less emphasis on status and more on results.