Newport Mesa USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Classified Staff have no upward mobility"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Newport Mesa USD (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are really nice, great benefits, decent amount of vacation, and a lot of paid time off for holidays, etc.

Cons

There is not any upward mobility for classified staff. H.R. is slow in hiring new talent so we lose out on potentially great employees.

Advice to Management

More professional development for Classified staff.

2. "Nutrition Services Substitute"

I worked at Newport Mesa USD part-time

Pros

Great management and employees. Very positive environment. Flexible schedule which is great for a stay-at-home mom who wants something to do for a few hours a day. I loved being able to work and when my shift was finished I could leave and not think about any conflict or drama that I've experienced in past employments. The pay is a lot better than minimum wage too!

Cons

Occassionally you would be called to a school and some co-workers may not always speak to you or you would be given the job of doing dishes your whole shift. But the good definitely out weighted the bad.

Advice to Management

Give your subs an opportunity for permanent employment before hiring outside. Long term sub who was consistently rated at the top for permanent placement by management and supervisors was continuously passed over for placement. It's sorta cruel and stings to call the subs to be sure they apply for an opening, interview, score at the top but then they take a newbie or a new hire from outside and give them the job. Perhaps HR hiring practices should be reviewed.

3. "I love NMUSD!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Newport Mesa USD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing health insurance, dental, and vision. Cost for health insurance is so low that it's worth taking a lower salary to get it. Pension benefits also available (though savings is also important to supplement for retirement). Great team atmosphere at the location where I work. Reasonable expectations for the position. I work a regular schedule and though I do have to work overtime sometimes, I don't mind because the work environment is so great. It's nothing like the 80+ hour weeks I worked in the private sector - and I love that I get several weeks off throughout the year so I have time with my family. So many of the people at the District are kind and willing to go the extra mile to help and make things better. There's a genuine camaraderie that makes work a pleasure.

Cons

Some of the staff at the District is awesome and they are the hardest working, most customer-service friendly people I've ever met. On the downside, other staffers at the District are out of touch with what is happening at the campus level. Because they're tucked away in the bubble of the District Office they don't recognize that their expectations are completely unreasonable.

Getting a job can be hard - you have to be diligent. Show up for the testing! And keep showing up for the next test and the interviews. They have merit-based hiring and once you go through the process you will be on the list for six months and considered for open positions.

I'll admit that I've never been a fan of unions. But, now I am a member of one. The plus of the union is that they negotiate for good benefits and pay. The bad side is that they work to protect employees to the nth degree even when they don't deserve it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are doing the jobs. Be open to change. Provide more budget for the campuses that have a majority enrollment of low SES families so they can better maintain their equipment.

4. "Cover Aide"

Current Employee - Cover Aide in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Cover Aide in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Newport Mesa USD (More than a year)

Pros

Highest paying district in Orange County. Offer free training. I worked with some of the most kind and compassionate administrators.

Cons

Some specialists seem under qualified and can be hard to reach sometimes. No full time positions.

5. "Top Heavy"

I have been working at Newport Mesa USD full-time

Pros

Good Benefits thanks to CSEA

Cons

Top Heavy
    Hard to get rid of inefficient workers

6. "NMUSD"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Newport Mesa USD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with District Administration is very kind and helpful.

Cons

Job security was very difficult to ensure.

Advice to Management

Provide resources for new teachers.

7. "NMUSD"

Pros

Great salary, benefits in comparison to the rest of Orange County. Administration at the school is incredibly supportive of their staff and teachers.

Cons

Parent expectations can sometimes be unrealistic.

8. "Instructional Assistant"

Pros

-Opportunities to progress within the district
    -Friendly and caring staff
    -Consistent schedule

Cons

-Not a year round job

"Decent pay, Undervalued Teachers"

Current Employee - Teacher in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Newport Mesa USD (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary schedule for teachers is around the 75th percentile for Orange County.

Cons

District administration lacks integrity and transparency. The district office is a mess.

Advice to Management

Use the input of the teachers and community. When you ask for input, but clearly don't honestly consider it, or just openly dismiss it, you pay the price in morale and disgruntled employees who don't feel valued. Students suffer when teachers aren't happy.

"Do NOT substitute in NMUSD!"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Newport Mesa USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay finally went up to a normal rate, and they pay you for extra periods worked.

Cons

Half the schools are dangerous and mismanaged. People at district office, especially at "Substitute Desk" are ridiculously slow and unhelpful. Hiring process is slow and outdated.

Advice to Management

Modernize! And hire qualified people with customer service skills and a sense of urgency.