News America Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Martin Garofalo

Pros
Cons
  • Limited flexibly when needed; Work/Life Balance (in 13 reviews)

• low salary, long hours, no advancement (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great job"

Pros

Very Organized friendly people and makes sure your trained good will drive to make sure you get everything right

Cons

I have had no bad experience at all everyone is so friendly and nice

News America Marketing Response

Jan 14, 2017 – HR Associate

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at News America Marketing! We are glad you are having such a great experience with us. We are proud of our friendly culture here at NAM.

"Hard work rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I have been with the company for ~10 years and hae been promoted ~ 6 times (not at all unusual!). One of the best things about the company are the people we hire - and I find the culture of our company is driven by the Executive Team. The employees are fun, interesting and hard working - as well as smart. It makes working much more fun for me to know that I will be with people I generally enjoy being around.

Cons

I think that along with any large company, there are processes that sometimes slow progress. I understand the need for process, but I do think less experienced employees wish things would move faster.

Advice to Management

Continue making relationships personal. Continue looking at new ways to engage employees and that will breed committment. Realize that not everyone is cut out for a 10 or 20 year career, but valuing a shorter term committment can also pay off for the organization.

"Excellent Career Choice!"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

Pros

News America values their employees from the first day as an Account Coordinator. Being given reputable accounts/territories to manage on a day-to-day basis jump-starts your career with significant responsibilities and shows the company’s trust in its salespeople. Acknowledging the importance of continuous learning, the training schedule extends throughout the first year allowing you to maximize training sessions through real Client experiences. Although the first promotion to Account Associate is after 15 months (which can seem slightly long), the time frame is in the salesperson’s best interest - News America promotes knowledgeable salespeople and the more information known, the more successful you’ll be when becoming an Account Director. Aside from the great career, News America is a fun place to work. Everyone is outgoing, enthusiastic, intelligent, and hard working. Overall, News America creates a positive and encouraging environment to grow as a salesperson and as an individual.

Cons

News America has set salaries for all positions. Because cost of living is not taken into consideration, working in several of the offices such as New York or LA can be a challenge at first. However, once you become an Account Associate/Account Director, you have the ability to accrue bonuses in addition to your salary and are rewarded for how hard you work. While the Account Coordinator salary is average (but still very livable), raises are assigned with every promotion and it definitely pays off very quickly.

Advice to Management

Definitely continue to value and appreciate your employees, providing an excellent and rewarding place to pursue a successful sales career!

5. "I loved working for News America Marketing."

Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing & Merchandising Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at News America Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was always something new to do, new people to meet, new places to go. Overall, it was a fun and exciting job.

Cons

Only downside was that there was not much advance on a project, but they sent out info as soon as it was available.

Advice to Management

Please do more re-hiring of previous employees. We know the company, LIKE the company, and need very little training to get us back up on the horse!

"This company centers around developing its employees."

Former Employee - Sales Training Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Training Manager in New York, NY

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company really invests in employees and develops them. Large corporation benefits with still the feel of being in a smaller company atmosphere. Human Resources is one of the best departments as the Executive Team really values the opinions of the HR team. Sales personnel are given many opportunities to succeed including a rotation program where they can experience different areas of sales.

Cons

Experienced sales professionals need to have started here from college to really see the benefit in the sales development program.

7. "Motivated people who care about the people they manage, and want to see them succeed."

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at News America Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal management who understand the big picture. It's easy to not appreciate News Corp until you see how they understand the industry and can look ahead. I look forward to a long career here.

Cons

It's fast paced, and the experience absolutely varies from manager to manager. It's part of the experience, though. You'll be a better and more adaptable employee and salesperson because of it.

Advice to Management

We're a huge company with a small company feel, ties but not uptight, and I appreciate that. Just buy me a new computer, for god's sake.

8. "Interesting industry, smart and fun employees, great culture"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

Pros

Employee development is unmatched -- as an account coordinator, the company flies you up the its NYC headquarters multiple times in your first year for training.

Pay is great -- what other entry level marketing job, that doesnt require an MBA, starts at 50K?

Culture is open, fun and collaborative -- most employees are in their 20s and 30s

Cons

If you work for a bad Director, you will probably have a bad experience

9. "I have learnt a lot by working for this company."

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wilton, CT

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The position/job is quite steady in the merchandising market. The job is always there; you do not have to worry that you would be out of work. The people that you work with are all very friendly and professional.

Cons

Sometimes you feel that you could get more compensation for all the work that you do.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management except that I wish we could get their programs working better on my home computer; specifically, that I could print from their site.

10. "Its great place to work."

Current Employee - Field Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at News America Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule to do work has deadline to meet but you are in control.

Cons

Weather conditions hot and cold.

11. "Great company if you're looking for a career as opposed to just a job."

I worked at News America Marketing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NAM offers a comprehensive training program for new hires, is run by a bottom line oriented management team, which means they make money and they have been and will be around for a long time...as opposed to numerous start ups that emphasize "quality of life" and are here and gone in short order...no, you can't bring your pets to work. They provide upward opportunity for those willing to work hard and a quality work environment. Like all companies, they are not perfect, but having worked for several, I can say this is a company where good things generally happen to good people. Having read some "sour puss' reviews I can only surmise they are largely coming from people who found it difficult to compete, the same people who will probably be floating from job to job looking for employment Nirvana and eventually wondering why success has passed them by (never understanding you have to work for it)...good luck!

Cons

While NAM pays competitive compensation at entry levels and increasingly better packages for solid producers...this should be emphasized as opposed to a "one size fits all" perspective. Like many companies today the benefits continue to get trimmed, which is a con, but those with half a brain understand that that's part and parcel of modern corporate life in a world still operating on the fringes of a major recession and is often dictated by their parent corporation, News Corp, and is no different that most other major corporations; that being said, their medical benefits, vacations, etc. are competitive. This is not a place to consider unless you take career and career advancement seriously...if you do, then I would consider it. If you're just looking for a "job" and something to put on your resume (as NAM is a leader in their field), you'll be found out soon enough and see other more genuine employees move past you. Contrary to some comments I've seen, I put in long hours when I worked at NAM but never viewed it as a sweat shop...I worked long hours because I was enthusiastic about the work I did, greatly enjoyed the people I worked with and believe in the maxim, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." PS: The CEO worked harder and put in more hours then anyone, which I think is a good indicator of why they are so successful.

Advice to Management

A more relaxed/casual business dress code is appealing to young hires...something to consider.