Newsela Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newsela is a mission focused for-profit organization. The company culture is amazing, and the people truly make it a wonderful place to work. The support for sales staff is the best in the industry with all teams focused on being customer centric and invested in your sales success.

Cons

This is a rapidly changing organization. While I love this, it may not be a fit for those who like a consistent structure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Newsela2018-10-11

"A quality organization that makes you happy to be a part of the team!"

Current Employee - SDR - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is a great work environment and offers a respective environment for all employees. Management is protective of keeping a cooperative work environment and keep employees at all levels informed of the company vision.

Cons

My only con is that the interview process was long. Up front that can be frustrating but once your hired and in the company, you understand that they company simply wants to protect the culture they have built.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Newsela2019-04-09
  3. "Newsela"

Current Employee - Professional Learning & Engagement Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Company and Team Culture -Employee Intellect and Savvy -Swag and Resources -Benefits -Efficient flow in receiving and requesting deliverables

Cons

-Interview process can be daunting -'Over-Interviewed

Newsela2019-04-05

"Keep clam and read on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly collaborative environment. I am challenged, not only by my own team, but cross-functionally by ELT, Product, Data, Community and Engineering, and as a result, learn and grow on a daily basis. The company fervently believe the same core value, which is reflected in our day to day: to make students become inherently good readers and subsequent learners, you must first engage them. That’s what our instructional...

Cons

Warning! Company contains highly passionate people! We may sometimes act like a dysfunctional family, but that is what makes it engaging and fun - we don't have to go home to one another ;)

Advice to Management

Keep listening, learning and growing.

Newsela2019-03-07
  5. "Newsela is a great Ed Tech Company"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and has clear goals and priorities for what they hope to achieve. They value and respect their employees. Compensation is competitive and fair. Onboarding and training is pretty good, and it's evolving and improving constantly. Plenty of paid holidays and time off. Medical benefits are good.

Cons

No 401k matching. They are growing and changing very quickly, which can get frustrating at times. However, if you know this going in, embrace, and respect the growth and change as something positive it is very manageable.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent and positive. Treat employees well and compensate them for what they do to improve the company and build on its mission.

Newsela2019-01-17
  6. "Passion Filled Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product that really makes a difference and an amazing group of people who really want everyone to succeed in their roles. Continuing to bring new product to market to make us more and more relevant.

Cons

We are growing and evolving all the time, which can create challenges but they are easy to overcome and everyone is there with you to work through it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and inclusive with the company.

Newsela2018-11-08

"Despite the negative reviews..."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Newsela full-time for more than a year

Pros

I actually really love it here. Start up culture is a plus for me. Everything is fast paced and you truly have the opportunity to impact the company culture, processes, and product in a positive way. I feel that I have a great work/life balance and that my manager understands me and meets me at my level. We have such a great mission as well, which is to unlock the written word for everyone. The company culture is becoming...

Cons

We’re outgrowing the office space, so it can be loud at times, but we are soon moving to a new, larger space this fall/winter. Additionally, we sometimes promise (internally) to deliver certain updates to the product which don’t always happen on time, which can cause some friction.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees’ feedback. It goes a long way for the culture when you listen to us!

Newsela2018-08-02

"Love the Company, the people, and the mission"

Current Employee - Executive Support Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Newsela full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Management and coworkers genuinely care about each other (I feel fortunate to work with a manager and team who are incredibly supportive of me personally and professionally) - I see a level of transparency from leadership here that you don't get at many companies (sharing financial information at company meetings, being honest about the successes and failures -- and doing their best to learn from them) - Almost...

Cons

- The fast-paced rate of change in the company’s growth could be unsettling to some (this isn't for everyone, but for those who are looking for a start-up culture, I'd recommend it)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. I've seen a tremendous amount positive change this past year in response and it feels great to see that we're truly being heard. Thank you.

Newsela2018-06-18

July 8, 2018

It's great to hear that you're feeling the impact of all the changes we've been implementing. We're looking forward to continuing on this trajectory.

"Great teams and culture"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Newsela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture, collaboration, growth, passionate people!

Cons

I don't have any cons right now.

Newsela2018-06-06

July 8, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Really glad you're having a positive experience here.

"lack of honesty and transparency"

I worked at Newsela full-time

Pros

- Snacks and lunches - Low workload - competitive salary - people are truly interested in education

Cons

- Management can be very dishonest; favorites some and disrespects others - Lack of transparency from leadership that trickles down to all departments - Lack of respect, fairness, and integrity in the culture -few growth opportunities and development, easy to stay stuck in the same place

Advice to Management

be transparent and respectful. you set the tone for the rest of the company.

Newsela2018-06-15

July 8, 2018

Thanks for taking the time after you left to provide feedback. I recently joined Newsela (in late April) as the Chief People Officer and with the full support of the executive team, we're making improvements. In fact, we've used input from past employee surveys, feedback from a listening ...

Found 42 reviews