Newsquest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.7
Henry Faure Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good manager, some great people to work with (in 3 reviews)

• Working on well known newspapers recognised nationally (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor salary, no training and depressing atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

• Any contribution to employee opinion is disregarded over senior management priorities (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good grounding in journalism"

I worked at Newsquest full-time

Pros

Good place to learn to become a strong all-round journalist.

Cons

Pay, staff being cut, the occasional ridiculous request from higher-ups

2. "Newsquest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Essex, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Essex, MD

Pros

A company where its staff are extremely close.

Cons

Loosing sight of the future of its business concentrating on the now rather than later.

3. "Enjoyment of jobs ruined by lack of company's respect for dedicated and talented staff"

I worked at Newsquest full-time

Pros

Working in the newsroom with committed and fun people makes going into work a great experience. Most people get on in the busy environment and despite tough deadlines they manage to pull together to get everything done.
    The work is enjoyable and the fast pace helps you think on your feet.
    The newsroom managers are good to work for making you want to do your best in your job.

Cons

Bad pay and excuses for lack of pay increases. The constant threats of redundancy make you continually fear for your job. Eventually people are laid off and that seems to be an ongoing thing with Newsquest. The upper management don't care about or know what their employees do, so you could do the best job in the world and nobody would care.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and stop making them feel as though they're living in an atmosphere of threat.

4. "Fun job - shame about the topmost leadership"

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

Pros

Fantastic people at peer and supervisor level. Busy, interesting newsroom environment. Newsquest own some great titles with great community traditions and the people really supported its newspaper - even as they began to be shortchanged. Fantastic stories to be a part of as the company never lowered standards on what they considered newsworthy. Probably the best boss, co-workers and fun I've ever had.

Cons

Depressing amount of bullying going on between top and middle management which inevitably trickled down. Woeful underpayment of staff was a factor you knew about going in, but when hours were also increased (to avoid replacing the many fine people who had left) this was accompanied by a lot of bullying and threats to job security.

Lots of trainees brought in to replace lost seniors. All had wonderful potential but there was not enough experience in the office for them all to draw on! One wonderful newbie was sacked simply because he couldn't be properly trained.

We were told overnight to donate an extra two hours to the (already long) working day regardless of actual newsflow. One area manager also informed us (rather unimaginitively) that the only way to balance the books was either to cut staff costs or print costs, making his only possible goals a poor product or a pissed off workforce. He did at least manage to achieve both.

Advice to Management

Post 1980s management training and business school.

5. "Looking for a gap stop not a career?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newsquest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic team, all committed to ensuring budgets are achieved and that excellent customer focus and service are delivered.

Cons

Senior management style. Very little evidence of belief, trust nor understanding of the workforce.

Advice to Management

Move away from the dark ages and go on some people management courses. Rule by the rod and demanding do as I say not as I do attitude is very Dickensian.

6. "The worst company to ever work for."

I worked at Newsquest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros in Newsquest unless you are Director level. Line their own pockets. No understanding of business. Short term goals.

Cons

As the word says CONS. Never pay commission. No structure to follow. Short term goals. No leadership. Bad decisions made daily. No future for the business.

Advice to Management

Go and do a full days job at ground level and get your heads out of the clouds.

7. "Challenging"

I have been working at Newsquest full-time

Pros

Some good managers
    Lots of new ideas and initiatives

Cons

Salaries could be higher to compete with similar industries
    Empower people more

Advice to Management

Let people think more for themselves and listen to feedback

8. "Field sales"

Current Employee - Field Sales in Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Newsquest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good holidays and work hours, the team are supportive towards each other and breaks are generous with an hour for lunch

Cons

Not enough training, was meant to be a field sales role but they didn't let you out of the office to fulfill the role. A manager that did not have a clue what they were doing and you was asked to deflate prices to fill the paper.

Spent more time doing admin than having chance to develop relationships with clients or workplace big on sales.

Company equipment was always faulty and from the dark ages including the cars you are made to drive.

Always move the goalposts so you can't achieve bonus.

Avoid this company

Advice to Management

Don't throw people in at the deep end without training in the things needed to function in the job. Don't employ field sales people if you expect them to do telesales.

Employ and train managers that know what they are doing not fake it till you make it chancers.

9. "Managers are bullies"

I worked at Newsquest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. I hated every minute of my employment with Newsquest.

Cons

Managers are bullies, they do not allow you to have opinions or your own ideas, they do not help you if you are struggling. They use scare tactics to motivate you. They do not care about their staff or their customers. They pick and choose how to treat individuals depending on whether they like them (if you are a yes person you will be liked and have a much lower target than anybody who dares to have a voice) HR are not there to help you they are there to protect the company. HR do not follow any legal policies. This really is an absolute joke of a company.

Advice to Management

Good luck when all of your staff have gone because you bullied them out

10. "Underpayed me for hours because I was under 18"

Former Employee - Paper Distributor in Halstead, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Newsquest part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gaining some form of income was nice however apart from that there wasn’t any other pros to this job at all!

Cons

I was given a standard paper route, which took roughly 2 hours. However my manager decided that the route should only take an hour and therefore only paid me for an hour each time I did the round. When I questioned this he simply told that I should do it quicker!

Advice to Management

Pay your staff properly and don’t take advantage of under 18’s