Newsy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Blake Sabatinelli

"Great environment"

I have been working at Newsy full-time

Pros

Management that cares about employee success, opportunities to use experience and learn new skills, non-biased reporting, straight news

Cons

Still in growing phase, limited brand recognition

Newsy2018-10-13

"Good place for journalists to start out"

Former Employee - Digital Content Producer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Newsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, fulfilling and interesting work

Cons

There's a disconnect with corporate management. Some employees can get lost in the shuffle. Pay is not great

Newsy2019-06-12

"Depressing place to be"

I worked at Newsy full-time

Pros

You are able to receive over-time, but most places allow this.

Cons

The team that does day to day news stories is basically an assembly line for journalists. - Thoughtless, mind-numbing, repetitive work with an emphasis on daily mass production - toxic managerial culture plagued with pretentious leads with regularly changing expectations - fresh out of college leads who do not have the experience, knowledge or capability to properly perform their duties - monotonous work with little...

Newsy2018-11-24

"Good stepping stone"

Current Employee - Editorial in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Newsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with fantastic personalities from the top down. Your co-workers can be life-long friends. Good judgement in journalism, though the product has become more diluted in recent years. Company produces high-quality works when the resources are available. Great place for hard-workers and people with a vision.

Cons

The opportunities to do quality journalism are dwindling and are reserved for a select handful of people. Most people are pigeonholed to do utility, baseline pieces. Compensation is not up to par for the major cities. Lunch breaks are non-existent. Ideas are heard but are rarely executed and internal communication is well intentioned but poor. Lacks resources to execute goals (the company is really cheap), so many people...

Newsy2018-09-09

"Biased"

I worked at Newsy full-time

Pros

The CEO said the company would target liberals.

Cons

The CEO, without remorse or correction, said the company would target a liberal audience for its reporting.

Advice to Management

I don't think I need to say it again. This is biased reporting to the highest extent.

Newsy2018-08-01

"Supportive Teams, Nice Benefits"

Current Employee - Content Producer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Newsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

For starters, working for Newsy has some pretty nice benefits (monthly compensation for internet/cable/cell phone plans, free snacks in the office, good health insurance, wellness program, etc.), and unlike other news outlets, the company's future seems pretty stable and shows signs of strong growth. The best part of Newsy is the people I work with — everyone is really friendly and nice to work with, and upper management...

Cons

The offices may seem quiet and intimidating at first. Because of the recent growth of the company, it's also been going through a lot of changes (team reorganization, office relocations, etc.), so that might be jarring for new hires.

Newsy2018-04-07

"Company that builds for the future; still feeling like a team player"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Newsy full-time

Pros

Creative control, options to grow, bosses that care about you, passionate coworkers

Cons

There could always be better coffee options, but it's free, so can't really complain.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping us in the loop about changes. They are happening so quickly, and we are hungry for information.

Newsy2018-01-25

"Fun, fast-growing company"

I have been working at Newsy full-time

Pros

I currently work at Newsy and couldn't ask for better, more honest and supportive co-workers above me, below me and across from me. Newsy is leagues above other newsrooms I've worked in when it comes to creative freedom and feedback. I think you have to be pretty change-friendly to thrive here, but that's something I find pretty stimulating.

Cons

We've been growing quickly, so sometimes I wish I had more information, but I do think leadership is trying to improve there.

Advice to Management

Communicating more proactively about how we're growing would go a long way toward employees' understanding of the business. Please keep fostering creative freedom!

Newsy2018-01-24
  9. "New Company, Great Place to work"

I have been working at Newsy full-time

Pros

- Open and caring management in all departments that you can reach out to whenever you need. - Big things keep happening with clear goals of the future. - Down to earth people from the bottom to top. - Tons of room to grow. - Strong focus on being an unbiased news organization

Cons

- No paper plates in the kitchen. How can I eat my pizza comfortably on a paper towel?

Advice to Management

Keep on rocking it.

Newsy2018-01-24

"Solid company but lacks a true leader"

I have been working at Newsy full-time

Pros

People are great and there is a since of community even though there are multiple offices. The teams produce great content and it is a lot of fun to be apart of something that is growing very quickly. Feels like a start-up.

Cons

Current CEO lacks leadership, vision and has not created a great culture. At times it feels like the leader is more excited that he is "in charge" than realizing he has people he should be focused on developing and a business to run. The pay is so-so and benefits are ok.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with someone that has a more appropriate background to run the company.

Newsy2018-02-02