Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 33 reviews)

• Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week (in 8 reviews)

1. "Newton"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenge, development, responsibility, career prospects

Cons

Hard work but weekends off, away during the week

2. "Challenging and interesting work in a very dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Too many to list in reality, but a few are; the people are amazing, the work is varied and most of all it's great fun. You never have two days the same, and the company really care about making it work. You can get involved in whatever you are interested in and are encouraged to start new things if you want to.

Cons

You work away from home, which doesn't suit everyone. Although we never work weekends and get good holidays it can be hard work during the week.

3. "Newton's highly stimulating atmosphere"

Current Employee - Consultant in Kingston Bagpuize, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kingston Bagpuize, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Newton, atmosphere and support from all across the company are brilliant.
    The job is great for personal growth and self-improvement - through highly beneficial feedback sessions.
    It is easier to work surrounded by brilliant people that are motivated and satisfied with their lives and encourage you to express yourself to your best.
    For those with a reasonably technical and business-oriented mind this could be the ideal job - provided you don't expect to be home every night.

Cons

Away from home Mon 6AM till Friday 6PM (greater chances to work from home with time). You'll have a car for professional and personal use (the cost of which will be subtracted from your salary, unless you have one of appropriate quality already), and you probably will need to use it a lot!
    Clients are all around the island and rarely near where you live.

Advice to Management

Internal feedback to management already works great!

4. "Great career progression, fantastic colleagues, hard/satisfying work in 10 hour days, lots of driving"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best thing about Newton is the culture and most of all the colleagues you work with. People at Newton organise weekends and trips away many times during the year (partly or sometimes totally sponsored by the company), but if everyone didn't like hanging out with the people they worked with, the trips wouldn't have nearly the attendance rates they do.
    Incredible career progression, straight off induction you're put in front of a client. Whether that be a clinician in a hospital, a manager in a food processing factory, a financial director at a defence engineering company. You're constantly driven to push yourself out of your comfort zone, which some people love, some people hate.

Cons

Lots of driving - but you do get a great car to do it in if that's what floats your boat
    Lots of nights away from home - if (like me) you pay London rent, say goodbye to that money as you will spend a maximum of 12 nights a month there. I spend nearer 6.
    Hard, hard work at times. Hours are never ridiculously bad, considering the pay, but they can occasionally stretch. Generally I work 10 hour days (1/2 day on Friday to be back at home by 6pm - company rule) and then do 1-2 hours work in an evening 1-2 times/week.

Advice to Management

Having spoken to friends about their varied careers, I haven't heard anyone talk like I do about the management at their company. Although they will always be your manager, I've always felt they genuinely care about my well-being and professional development. It's one of the really great things about Newton.

5. "Trusted to deliver outstanding results and given the support and guidance to do so confidently."

Current Employee - Ops Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Ops Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having only worked in a few other companies, it's hard to know actually how different Newton is, but from what I can gather from mates I was at Uni with now living in London, I don't think any of the other consultanties offer the same kind of career progression, support, trust and opportunities to deliver work so early on. If you prove your ability you will absolutely fly and achieve amazing results for the clients you work with and for me, this is the most satisfying thing about the job. I know it sounds cheesy but unlike a strategy consultant, or a management consultant you are able to leave a client after 6 months to a year and see, hear and feel the difference to the organisation you've been working with - in terms of the way they talk, think, act and do the thing they do. We really do transform organisations on a grand scale, and the scale on which we do this is ever increasing.

The people are fantastic, as is the general level of energy, enthusiasm, happiness (I have no idea what the reviewer who said we don't smile was talking about, I'm renowned for never not smiling) and intelligence. I am constantly humbled by those around me and how good a job they do. This also motivates me to keep pushing myself - just to keep up.

Cons

Sometimes the relentlessness of the job catches up with you. You have to be on the ball 5 days a week, 16 hours a day (not to say you're working), but often thinking about things and what is next, and as you progress through your career as you become responsible for more junior consultants the demands certainly stack up, however, support is given as well as lots of relevant and timely training.

Advice to Management

Don't stop pushing the boundaries of what we are aiming to achieve. If we get it right there's no reason we shouldn't be able to influence things on a national scale, but temper this with the right growth rate. The current rate of stretch is just about manageable!

6. "Uniquely Brilliant"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company that truly lives and breathes their own values, continually challenging itself to improve in every aspect. A definite meritocracy - which not only gives confidence and credence to seniors, but allows those with talent to flourish. There are also a huge number of activities and parties that the company put on for staff as an additional reward for continuing to deliver value to clients (which is, in itself, really quite satisfying).

Cons

There are periods of tiring, high intensity work - but these are balanced and challenged by management in order to maintain a good work-life balance.

7. "Exciting challenging work, great development opportunities and amazing culture"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with talented people on a variety of projects. A lot of time is invested in developing you as an individual and you can progress at your own pace and their are lots of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow. It feels like you really make a difference to clients on the projects we work on unlike some other consultancies.

Cons

A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support available to people at all levels of the company and keep working to make sure we maintain our culture as we grow.

8. "Excellent personal development combined with exciting people"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During my career with Newton I've also been pushed to take on more responsibility and deliver better. This has helped me to grow incredibly quick and taught me skills I expected to have much later. The people are work with are excelling individuals who almost all have something driven, ambitious, and special about them. The fact that these are not just colleagues but mainly friends says enough.

Cons

The most difficult aspect of the job is the work-life balance: being away from home Mon-Fri is incredibly challenging and at times makes you feel like you're being lived rather than living yourself. Although the job is hard work, weekend work is an absolute no-no and evening work kept to a minimum.

Advice to Management

Newton is as good as we are because of the culture: make sure this is given full attention.

9. "Great company to work for. Interesting, challenging work. Amazing people. Top benefits."

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a real dedication in the company to delivering genuine results for our clients, which means rolling sleeves up and working across organisations at all levels. It's hard work and sometimes long hours during the week but it's a strict company policy to be home by 6pm on Friday and weekends are your own.

The work is challenging and always interesting; I've never been bored for a minute in the year that I've been here. I find it really refreshing that everyone you work with at Newton is bright, motivated, down to earth and fun to be around.

As a company Newton go the extra mile to look after you. The salary & package are very competitive but it's all of the other bits that make the difference, be it subsidised ski trips (including contributions for partners), activity weekends (sailing, surfing, battlefield tours...) or the fortnightly review sessions were the whole company gets together on a Thursday night.

Cons

The hours can be long and I've clocked up around 24K miles on the road in a year (albeit in a new BMW 1-series company car). The flipside of the incredible development opportunities you get is that you are constantly out of your comfort zone, and getting the balance right between developing skills and keeping stress levels manageable can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Newton is growing rapidly and the challenge for management, as it has always been, is going to be keeping the energetic, dynamic culture alive through this process.

10. "Incredible company - unique in the realm of consultancies"

Pros

Genuine potential for quick career progression; brilliant colleagues who are positive about the company's future; constantly varied and challenging work

Cons

If you don't like being away from home during the week it's not for you

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing culture and dedication to fun