Nexstar Broadcasting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Nexstar Broadcasting Chairman, President, and CEO Perry A. Sook
Perry A. Sook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, easy to transfer to a larger market (in 9 reviews)

• because the station has a long distinguished reputation, good people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • HIGH stressing job, LOW pay, and lots of grumpy people who enjoy getting other co-workers in trouble on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• The power struggle of upper management is frustrating (in 10 reviews)

""Doing Less With Less""

Former Employee - News
    Former Employee - News

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Nexstar owns stations across the country which makes content-sharing easy.

Cons

This company does not provide employees with much growth potential nor does it encourage personal or professional growth. While a Nexstar may an attainable first job, it is not a place to hone your skills. Management will not take the time to help you become better because they are stretched thin themselves. Their policy is to "do more with less," which means the company provides few resources for employees.

2. "Company cares about profit, not people"

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Nexstar owns a lot of stations nationwide, giving you lots of options to move within company to other markets

Cons

Does not create a culture that cares about employees, low employee morale with company

3. "Copy Writer"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet interesting people who work in broadcasting such as News Reporters, News Anchors. You get to see what goes on behind the scenes of a News Broadcasting Station.

Cons

HIGH stressing job, LOW pay, and lots of grumpy people who enjoy getting other co-workers in trouble on a daily basis. Can not work past 5pm or they will not pay you but they put PRESSURE on you to get the work done TODAY. Many workers complain of this issue. Surely there is a Labor Law against this sort of cracked work ethic. LARGE turnover in employment. People randomly quitting or leaving. No training program or system. You are expected to know it and be on your own. No one will want to help or teach you, they are so understaffed that they do not have time and they will tell you that.

Advice to Management

1. GET a TRAINING system/program for new hires. 2. Consider a higher pay scale for such a stressful job. 3. You need an informational Hiring packet upon hiring and Orientation. You do not just put someone at a desk and say here it is -WORK- Good grief.

4. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company in expanding market.

Cons

Nexstar took over the company and was not nearly as employee friendly as the previous owner.

5. "You'll thrive if your independent"

Current Employee - News Reporter
    Current Employee - News Reporter

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A place to understand the basics and learn the essentials of reporting.

Cons

Low budget, it's all about what you can do for less. Limited room for growth and little to no feedback on performance. Takes too long to replace staff.

Advice to Management

Open more doors of communication.

6. "Account executive"

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time

Pros

When they're around managers are helpful and how good advice. Tv programming is effective, makes it easier to sell.

Cons

Heavy workload doesn't let you get on the road to sell enough. Management is constantly in meetings. Digital needs to be restructured.

Advice to Management

Find out what your A.E.s need help with, roll up your sleeves and do what you need to do to help them.

7. "Laid back environment. Great upper management & co-workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Newly remodeled building with lots of parking (under ground & above ground). Fitness center free for employees & modernized cafe lounge. Free sodas & coffee drinks (latte, cappucinos etc.) You may have have the option to choose your desk. You will get to order whatever supplies you need/want from a website. Free lunches. Management & co workers are friendly and we all work great together. No micro-management! Yearly bonuses based on company performance. 2 weeks sick days & 2 weeks vacation days plus holidays and a couple floating holiday days you can use.

Cons

I dont have many. Pay is based on experience supposedly but I could use an increase. When you first start you may or may not gain access to your systems until 2 or 3 weeks later which means you'll be training or shadowing during that time.

Advice to Management

Always remember to keep up the perks for your employees. Having events and giving out small rewards will keep your employees planted. I think a reward program is needed to recognize great team work & performance.

8. "A Mixed Bag - But Mostly An Enjoyable Experience"

Former Employee - Chief Meteorologist in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Chief Meteorologist in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nexstar Broadcasting, or, more specifically their stations KLST/KSAN in San Angelo, offered an interesting look into the operations of a small market TV station. Perhaps the biggest benefit to working here were the health benefits which were reasonably priced and the sticker shock of going to the doctor was never overwhelming. Second, management is largely hands-off when it comes to allowing successful employees execute their craft. At times, this can be a drawback because of the lack of feedback or perceived lack of interest in our work, but overall, I enjoyed the hands-off approach as I was able to be as creative as I wanted to be within the bounds of reasonable professional limits. Management will reward good work with more money when it's time for contract renewal. Lastly, the people who work their are largely excellent people to spend your time around. The culture is laid back and fun, but enough people care about producing a great product that the news broadcast quality typically exceeded what one might expect in such a small media market. Further, management tends to promote from within and people tend to move on within 5-6 years, so there are opportunities for advancement internally. Finally, while it takes a while to get done, the station and parent company do invest in technology that enables the workers to produce a better product.

Cons

Minimal and infrequent feedback by management. Management could do more to be more directly engaged in procuring the best on-air product possible such as helping anchors/producers when they are overcome with content prior to a newscast.

Advice to Management

Keep being the polite and positive people you are. Do more, however, to be involved in the production of the newscasts. Offer insight on management's vision of how news operations could improve, be proactive in executing that vision, and offer more recognition of good work.

"your experience may vary."

Current Employee - Multimedia Journalist in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Multimedia Journalist in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Post merger, I'm still employed, with benefits. I work at a good station. We are an old Media General, high-performing market and as such Corporate leaves us mostly alone. We have a manageable workload and supportive management. I enjoy my job and love the people I work with and under.

Cons

What I've heard is the experience REALLY depends on where you are. I enjoy my job. But corporate tends to approach things like a mom-and-pop business when they're a multi-state, billion dollar corporation.

Advice to Management

Keep on Keeping on

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Photographer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Photographer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Nexstar Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None stay away stay away stay away. Consider yourself warned. This corporation is the worst company and is what's wrong with America, over paid bosses and under pay the people who do the real work. And cut staff in half to line their own pockets.

Cons

Pay, under staffed, over worked, too much paid content for a news station, management has zero clue what happens in the field and gives unrealistic dead lines. They make you work overtime then get mad that you have over time. And there is a ton of favoritism for the good ol' boys club.