Next Century Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Next Century President and CEO John McBeth
John McBeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Next Century has a great representation in the community allowing them to partner on many exciting opportunities (in 32 reviews)

• I'm one of many people here at Next Century who have the amazing opportunity to help save lives (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I have enjoyed my time at Next Century and cannot think of any cons (in 11 reviews)

• Some growing pains from going from a small company to a more midsized company (in 4 reviews)

"Next Century Cares About its Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Two recent examples:
     - Winter weather was forecast to hit hard and one of our C-level executives sent an all-staff message urging everyone to go home before the roads became unsafe. Given the recent reminder I got of the meme with the picture of five feet of snow and impassable roads with the caption "and the boss be like: But you're still coming in, right?" this is unusual enough to warrant kudos. The company knows a lot of us can still work from home, and we're all committed to the mission, so it treats us like adults.
     - Employees had been asking about the possibility of a parental leave benefit recently, so with the turn to the new year, that was added to our benefits.

Not only that, but our CEO and COO make an effort to go out to lunch with all employees (in small groups) at least once a year. Our leaders value the informal contact and increased accessibility, and it shows in every interaction.

I honestly can't say I've ever seen these attitudes in any of the many companies I've worked for over the years.

Cons

The process of getting under contract with the government on a new project can be fraught with delays and other uncertainties. This means employees have to be willing to be flexible as they roll off one project's work to another, and can mean that employees land on overhead for a short, interim period until all the details are resolved.

For all that, I've never seen the company let go of an employee because we're waiting for a new project to start, which (again) speaks to the strong commitment management has to retaining its people.

Advice to Management

You're on the right path. Stay there.

"Five years and counting!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Next Century is the first company I joined after college, and holy crap did I luck out. As I learned company policies and how things worked, everything just made sense. I found myself asking, "Why isn't every company like this?" I've been here for over five years, and I feel just as lucky as ever. I'll list a few reasons why I love this company:

- Feedback is encouraged: I've emailed suggestions to the CEO. Not only did he respond within the hour, but by the next day, he stopped by for more details. All of our leaders are welcoming and humble. It's kind of surreal.

- Progress over process: As companies grow, it's hard to escape the paperwork or red tape involved. Next Century makes a conscious (and obvious) effort to avoid process for the sake of process. A great example is our coaching program. Anyone that wants to be a coach or mentor is involved, and if you ever have problems with your project or want to make sure you're moving in the right direction for your career goals or maybe you want help figuring out your career goals, communicate with your coach for a low-key meeting. There's no enforced agenda or meeting frequency. Just do what works for you. It's simply a system to encourage communication.

- Important work: It's easy to miss how much our work affects things when you're down in the weeds. But after taking a step back, it's pretty obvious (and awesome) to see how much Next Century prioritizes important and meaningful work. To put that in perspective, think back to the government sequestration in 2014 (or whatever year that was). Plenty of contractors got laid off that year, but at Next Century, we didn't have to lay off anyone. All of our projects still received funding, because they were (and still are) so crucial.

- Financial transparency: Next Century is open-book with its employees, so we can see how well things are going financially.

- Separation of work and home: I'm literally not allowed to take my work home. I work my 40 hours per week (flexed throughout the month), and I can leave work at work.

Cons

The only undesirable features of my work involve the clunkiness of the customer. It's hard to avoid all of the process and red tape when working with the government, but our leadership does a great job at shielding us from a good portion of the bureaucracy. (It's simply a symptom of working in this sector, and there's only so much that can be done.)

Advice to Management

I don't really know what to say here... Keep on keepin' on. Stay humble, keep communicating with the employees, and keep adapting.

Jan 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your transparency! We are lucky to have found YOU!

3. "Next Century saves lives"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Next Century, our mission is to do meaningful work that has a positive impact on people's lives. I have a great opportunity to do just that on my current project where I'm developing tools used by law enforcement across the country to fight human trafficking. I'm one of many people here at Next Century who have the amazing opportunity to help save lives.

Next Century promotes an atmosphere of integrity, people, performance, and excellence. These Guiding Principles are not merely a sign on the wall, but a philosophy that the members of our leadership follow every day. We don't take shortcuts or trash talk the competition or hire people we feel are unqualified just to fill empty seats. We do the right thing, even if it hurts our bottom line.

The people at Next Century are smart, hard-working, friendly, and eager to learn and better themselves. We get plenty of chances to work on new things and learn about the latest and greatest technologies. The benefits are excellent, and there's lots of opportunity for growth, both from an engineering and a leadership standpoint. Next Century really appreciates its employees and treats them well, because they know that good people are hard to find.

Overall, working for Next Century is awesome. The work we're doing is important, and I'm glad I can be a part of it!

Cons

As a contractor working heavily in the government sector, we are subject to the typical issues associated with government work. Our contracts can be affected by yearly congressional budget battles and threats of government shutdowns. Our projects are sometimes research-focused, without a specific user base or obvious transition partners. We will often work with people from other companies who have different backgrounds, experience levels, and values. And some of the important work we do we just can't talk about!

However, even given the occasional instability of the proposal process or the government itself, our leadership does a great job of steering Next Century on the course of success, and our growing Business Development team has done an exceptional job at securing new projects for the company. Plus, our government contracts give Next Century the ability to pursue its mission and engage in meaningful work.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job! If you continue to listen to the people and perform your roles with excellence and integrity, I know Next Century will remain a wonderful place to work.

Jan 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much! Our employees help us maintain our work culture and continued success.

4. "Great company with a great mission"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company lives its mission: to save lives. It has great work life balance and is a flat organization. There are great social events and benefits.

Cons

With the two main offices being split across states it can be difficult to know what projects and new people are popping up in different locations.

Advice to Management

More high fives. Just kidding.

Jan 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you! We are aware of this issue and are looking for more ways to introduce and communicate new projects and employees across our two office locations. Our monthly newsletter, our internal... More

5. "Best place I’ve ever worked!"

Current Employee - Entry Level Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Entry Level Software Engineer

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing atmosphere, people, management and support staff.
    The CEO really cares about his employees and customers.
    The company has a defined “destiny” that they follow.
    No processes or barriers prohibiting excellence.
    Respect is given to all employees regardless of levels of experience.
    Promotes a learning/teaching atmosphere.
    Open door policies are actual open door polices, management is easy to approach and share all aspects of the company.

Cons

A lot of the projects are high side.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Try to balance the projects out with more low side opportunities!

Jan 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Our business development team is continuously looking for mission critical projects to support, while also diversifying our customer base.

6. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company!
    -Awesome mission and goals
    -flat management structure

Cons

-Split office locations make collaboration difficult

Advice to Management

Keep up with what you're doing

Thank you!

7. "Outstanding Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very focus on it mission, very smart people, great culture, good work-life balance

Cons

Government contracting can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and on the path!

Thank you!

8. "Rewarding Career"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a Next Century employee, you never have to question integrity and every day you're rewarded with doing life-saving, mission critical work.

Cons

Nothing major comes to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome leadership! It's nice to see new customers and contracts coming in.

Oct 16, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We're so happy that you identify with our company mission and find the work we do to be rewarding. This is why we're here!

9. "Great Place for Experienced Engineers"

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

Next Century has a great representation in the community allowing them to partner on many exciting opportunities. Combine that with great benefits and an experienced engineer will find a great place to excel and grow.

Cons

It you are assigned to a partner facility you may have extended periods of time without meaningful contact from the company.

Jan 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage you to attend company wide events, all hands meetings and to think about participating in the Coaching Program if you are not already. We know it is... More

10. "Next Century is stellar"

Current Employee - Human Factors Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Human Factors Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* A positive culture with talented, creative, and competent employees
    * Family-oriented and employee focused
    * Always new and exciting work challenges

Cons

* Only two offices but that is a very minor con

Oct 16, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback!