Next Century Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Next Century President and CEO John McBeth
John McBeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Next Century has proven to me that they are top tier company" (in 35 reviews)

• "Uncompromising focus on our mission of building technology to help save lives and protect the country" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "My experience has been that Next Century is always looking to improve and grow and that feedback is welcome" (in 14 reviews)

• "There's only two offices but that's expected for a small company" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company with a worthwhile mission that really cares about it people and its customers.

Cons

Next Century is more established and less of a startup culture than some candidates may be looking for, but I like the stability and experience that comes with it.

2. "Integrity and Mission"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

This company is all about the mission - protecting our country and saving lives - and doing so with the unmatched integrity and ethics. Flat organization. Open-door with complete transparency, including bi-monthly all-hands meetings that include full disclosure on financials and progress towards annual goals. Outstanding compensation and benefits. Extremely talented, high-performance workforce that will keep you humble. Check out the Board of Advisers for proof of just how respected this company is.

Cons

Mostly government customers can be frustrating at times, but that's also where the action is. Some of us are spread out, which can make cohesiveness a challenge, but the company does a lot to address this, such as social events, technical brown bag chats, regular all-hands meetings, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "Talent Acquisition Specialist"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, I love working at Next Century because the company's core values align with mine. It's very hard to find organizations in the DMV that stick with their company mission, and do work that's challenging & mentally stimulating, is interesting, and most importantly, is meaningful!

Having the chance to learn new things is important in any position and is especially important to me, but it’s especially important during the early stages of one's career. For that reason, finding a full-time job that allows me to learn as much as possible is key to my career development. Next Century has helped in every way possible by setting me up for success. The company has invested in me by allowing me to attend prominent technical recruiting conferences, enlist in trainings and other various webinars. If there is ever a course or training I'm interested in registering for, all I have to do is ask for the permission to do so! Never once have I been told "no."

In addition to offering me opportunities to learn about the industry, Next Century has offered me the opportunity for advancement within the organization. I am in control and am able to pave my own path for career advancement. I constantly work with my supervisor and my internal coach to find ways on how I can get to where I want to be in my career.

Feeling appreciated is an important part of any life experience, but it’s especially important in my working life. My superiors at Next Century make me feel valued by offering positive feedback and supporting my efforts to learn and improve. The "thank you's" and "great work" comments go a long way and inspire me to be better and continue to succeed and accomplish my goals.

One of the most important things a company can offer its employees is a secure and stable environment. This doesn’t just mean a regular paycheck (although that’s part of it), but also a proven history of steady success and a sense of job security. Although it’s unrealistic to expect smooth sailing all the time, a solid track record is a great indication that a company can provide me with the type of environment I need to succeed. I have been working here for four years, and I have never once felt worried about my job security. This is a big deal.

I spend A LOT of time with my co-workers so it’s important to make sure that they’re people I enjoy working with. I am happy to say that my co-workers are not co-workers anymore. They are like family! We eat lunch together every day, joke around, share awkward stories, and try to make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible/is set up for success. We all genuinely care about each other. Everybody has a unique personality, is incredibly intelligent, and shares the same passion for our company mission.

Cons

Because the environment in a small business is ever-changing, we are still working on formulating certain processes internally. It can be a little overwhelming at times having to accommodate so many different processes and making everybody happy, but I'd rather have that flexibility and work on a team that is open to collaborating and listening to everybody's opinions rather than work for a team of dogmatic leaders where it's their way or the highway.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide your employees with feedback on their performance. We are certainly a high performance work culture and aren't the type of company that hand's out awards every day, but employee recognition not only make's one's day brighter, but it lets that person know that you are appreciative of their hard work and notice it. Employee recognition gives one an energy boost, especially when it comes from our company leaders.

4. "Best Place For Me"

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Most excellent colleagues (smart AND funny)
    2) Excellent mission
    3) Excellent performance (on time, within budget, exceeding expectations)
    4) Extreme commitment to integrity
    5) Great technologies
    6) Great learning environment

Cons

Many of the projects involve classified work which has its own well-known challenges.

5. "Excellent Company For Me"

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

Engaging work that I enjoy. Continuously challenged to do great things. Leaders are readily available and solicit feedback from employees. High performance atmosphere and strong values.

Cons

Nothing noteworthy to report in regards to this. Solid benefits, pay, and opportunities.

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

This company knows what it’s doing! The culture and value system is intentional and they stay true to it.

Cons

I can’t think of anything

Advice to Management

Continue to stay focused on the core values.

7. "BEST place I've EVER worked!"

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

* Extremely high ethics and integrity, from the CEO on down
    * Uncompromising focus on our mission of building technology to help save lives and protect the country
    * Top notch technical talent
    * Challenging and rewarding work

Cons

None that I can think of! Seriously!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Great people make great products"

Current Employee - Principal Human Factors Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Human Factors Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Next Century full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is full of top talent, lucky to be part of it. Great culture at the company.

Cons

Standard Govt. contract issues, working primarily onsite verse embracing remote work but that's not really Next Century's problem.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-meaningful mission and work
    -amazing work life balance
    -leadership cares about their employees
    -great benefits
    -career advancement
    -positive work environment with friendly people

Cons

none that I can think of.

10. "An organization of high integrity with a great purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has highly competent technical people and high performance administrative personnel.

Cons

This company just needs more industry recognition.

Advice to Management

Never change from your current philosophies and approach.