Next Century Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Next Century President and CEO John McBeth
John McBeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Next Century has a great representation in the community allowing them to partner on many exciting opportunities" (in 30 reviews)

• "This company lives its mission: to save lives" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Next Century is a contractor, which means that it the range of jobs is determined by the contracts in which it participates" (in 10 reviews)

• "Some growing pains from going from a small company to a more midsized company" (in 5 reviews)

1. "A League of Their Own"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits. The employees and by far, the executive staff.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "A breath of fresh air"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Down to earth, very reasonable, and genuinely caring. A breath of fresh air in a world of money-chasing, bells-and-whistles, fellow-youth type companies. I really appreciate the professionalism that is shown throughout, focusing on what really matters. Really helps motivate you to do your best, and makes Mondays something to look forward to.

Cons

All the usual cons that go with being a government contractor, so my ratings are against that baseline. Within that arena, though, they really can't be beat. Just be prepared if you're coming from the private sector, things work differently. They 're very frugal, which can come across as cheap, but they deliver where it counts.

3. "A company that views the individual as a vital part of the collective"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whereas large, "big name" companies tend to be tall organizations, trading close relationships and approachable management for more employees and additional layers of bureaucracy, Next Century is a flat organization. There is, at most, one level of management between any given employee and the senior leadership. The company's open door policy means that any employee can approach the CEO, COO, CFO, etc. to ask a question, raise a concern, or have a friendly chat. Not only is this not an exaggeration, employees are encouraged to take advantage of this policy. It's easy to see how much the company cares about individual employees when they make such a strong effort to ensure everybody has the chance to be heard.

Cons

As with any other company in this work space, employees are often spread across different projects, contracts, and work sites, which makes it difficult to promote overall company cohesion. Next Century hosts plenty of great employee social events to help facilitate this cohesion, but there's only so much a company can do when employees are scattered across different locations.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. "This is not settling, it's winning!"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendlies people you will ever meet. There are tons of opportunities to grow and improve with plenty of people to help you along the way. The high ups are all very nice and driven for the company's mission! We create software to save lives and even as a receptionist I feel important and secure. I have met so many people made even more connections I thought possible. I have made life long friends and I hope to never have to leave! Great great great company culture!

Cons

Sometimes people who work at the company are so used to be treated well, they forget who fortunate they are to work for this company. Often times people complain about little things instead of just being happy. But, this can be seen in any work place.

Advice to Management

John, we really appreciate your hand written cards and questions about personal lives. Next Century makes employees feel appreciated and valued as people and workers.

5. "Good at what they do, but could diversify"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office environments, lunches for company meetings, social events, work life balance

Cons

Workload due to some positions not having job descriptions, no clear line on when one's responsibilities stop.

Advice to Management

Develop job roles for each employee so they know what they do day in and out.

"Textbook High Performance"

Current Employee - Mission Support Specialist in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Mission Support Specialist in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly motivated individuals throughout the building creates a fantastic working environment to save lives one day at a time. Incredibly mission focused, so much so that we have a sound reputation throughout the industry for being a trusted asset for our customers. Great people and a fun place to work with happy hours, ice cream socials, Grill n' chills, company picnics and more. Encourages growth with leadership courses, tuition reimbursement, and bi-weekly technical exchanges. Open door policy among all of the leadership team and each member is likely to have a comfortable/friendly working relationship with you.

Cons

None. Been with this company since I was 17 and to this day was the best decision I ever made!

Advice to Management

Never back away from our guiding principles. If our individual/group mindsets align with the guiding principles we have on those walls, not only will be the most respected in the industry, but the workplace culture/processes will be what every other company strives to be.

"Love My Job and This Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture and integrity is unmatched. They hire top class employees who are a pleasure to work with and be around every day. The mission to protect the country and save lives is one that is being accomplished almost every day in the Next Century office. The technical environment is also very enjoyable, challenging, and interesting.

Cons

Next Century does a lot of contracting employees to sub contracts, so I am stationed away from the headquarters office and do not get the same connection to the rest of the company. This is not as big of a deal though because Next Century holds events every couple weeks where I will go back to the office.

"Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with a diverse team that share similar professional ideals, ethics, and technical focus.

Company is primarily software-oriented; colleagues and management understand what you’re doing.

Great technical and professional growth opportunities; lots of smart people to learn from, all the way from interns and junior-level colleagues up to C-level management.

Interesting projects with opportunities to lead innovation and change.

Flexible work environment and great work/life balance, with management that cares about your personal well-being and understands the responsibilities of having a family.

Cons

The only cons are the same that apply to any company that primarily does contracting; sometimes working within the customer's constraints can be frustrating or difficult.

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone is respected, listened to, valued, and appreciated. There's no "average" employee; we don't hire average. Everyone is smart and motivated, yet the dominant trait is humility, not hubris; we are attuned to the mission of building software that makes a difference and saves lives.

As a smaller company, we are agile and adaptive. The right tools and technologies are provided. There is an intentional lack of ceremony and formality, and the organization is relatively flat. A coaching program was designed to help cross-pollinate, encourage communication, and set goals. Employees can attend classes, conferences, or seminars to invest in their ongoing growth. A leadership seminar lead by the CEO helps acclimate the next generation and underscores the value of a high performance organization.

We have a world-class Board of Advisors, who offer their sage counsel through all-hands meetings and/or our Speaker Series. It's fairly incredible to see Gen. Michael Hayden appear on a Sunday morning news program and then interacting with our employees on Thursday.

Picnics, "holliversary" parties, happy hours, and other extra-curricular events allow everyone to relax and get acquainted better. Biweekly TEM's provide an opportunity (over free lunch) to learn what other projects are doing and technologies they're applying. Informal challenges--e.g. encouraging taking more steps or drinking more water--are offered as ways to improve health and provide sought-after Next Century-branded pedometers and water bottles.

Cons

As a medium-sized company, we are no longer able to compete for small-business contracts, so we find ourselves competing against some of the largest names in the industry. This is exciting, but also challenging. Competition is fierce for good employees, and we struggle to find them. (Given the alternative of lowering our standards, it's a worthy sacrifice.)

With offices in both McLean and Annapolis Junction, there is an ongoing organizational challenge to communicate effectively across the Potomac.

With our primary customer being the Federal Government, there is a fair amount of bureaucracy employees must contend with. However, the company does operate its own secure facilities for employees and other contractors and civilians, operating as efficient "centers of excellence" the customer is generally delighted with and allows us to "punch above our weight" class. Sorry, I'm drifting from the cons...OK, not a lot of good restaurants within walking distance, how about that?

10. "Great Mission, Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm impressed by consistency of integrity, commitment to really making a difference, and continuous improvement in everything that we do. A very intentional culture.

Cons

Hard to think of anything here.

Advice to Management

Never relent on staying agile and prioritizing the purpose and performance driven culture of the company.