Next Century Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Next Century President and CEO John McBeth
John McBeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Next Century provides an amazing work environment that is built around a worth-while mission" (in 31 reviews)

• "I'm one of many people here at Next Century who have the amazing opportunity to help save lives" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have enjoyed my time at Next Century and cannot think of any cons" (in 11 reviews)

• "Some growing pains from going from a small company to a more midsized company" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Love My Job and This Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture and integrity is unmatched. They hire top class employees who are a pleasure to work with and be around every day. The mission to protect the country and save lives is one that is being accomplished almost every day in the Next Century office. The technical environment is also very enjoyable, challenging, and interesting.

Cons

Next Century does a lot of contracting employees to sub contracts, so I am stationed away from the headquarters office and do not get the same connection to the rest of the company. This is not as big of a deal though because Next Century holds events every couple weeks where I will go back to the office.

2. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with a diverse team that share similar professional ideals, ethics, and technical focus.

Company is primarily software-oriented; colleagues and management understand what you’re doing.

Great technical and professional growth opportunities; lots of smart people to learn from, all the way from interns and junior-level colleagues up to C-level management.

Interesting projects with opportunities to lead innovation and change.

Flexible work environment and great work/life balance, with management that cares about your personal well-being and understands the responsibilities of having a family.

Cons

The only cons are the same that apply to any company that primarily does contracting; sometimes working within the customer's constraints can be frustrating or difficult.

3. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone is respected, listened to, valued, and appreciated. There's no "average" employee; we don't hire average. Everyone is smart and motivated, yet the dominant trait is humility, not hubris; we are attuned to the mission of building software that makes a difference and saves lives.

As a smaller company, we are agile and adaptive. The right tools and technologies are provided. There is an intentional lack of ceremony and formality, and the organization is relatively flat. A coaching program was designed to help cross-pollinate, encourage communication, and set goals. Employees can attend classes, conferences, or seminars to invest in their ongoing growth. A leadership seminar lead by the CEO helps acclimate the next generation and underscores the value of a high performance organization.

We have a world-class Board of Advisors, who offer their sage counsel through all-hands meetings and/or our Speaker Series. It's fairly incredible to see Gen. Michael Hayden appear on a Sunday morning news program and then interacting with our employees on Thursday.

Picnics, "holliversary" parties, happy hours, and other extra-curricular events allow everyone to relax and get acquainted better. Biweekly TEM's provide an opportunity (over free lunch) to learn what other projects are doing and technologies they're applying. Informal challenges--e.g. encouraging taking more steps or drinking more water--are offered as ways to improve health and provide sought-after Next Century-branded pedometers and water bottles.

Cons

As a medium-sized company, we are no longer able to compete for small-business contracts, so we find ourselves competing against some of the largest names in the industry. This is exciting, but also challenging. Competition is fierce for good employees, and we struggle to find them. (Given the alternative of lowering our standards, it's a worthy sacrifice.)

With offices in both McLean and Annapolis Junction, there is an ongoing organizational challenge to communicate effectively across the Potomac.

With our primary customer being the Federal Government, there is a fair amount of bureaucracy employees must contend with. However, the company does operate its own secure facilities for employees and other contractors and civilians, operating as efficient "centers of excellence" the customer is generally delighted with and allows us to "punch above our weight" class. Sorry, I'm drifting from the cons...OK, not a lot of good restaurants within walking distance, how about that?

4. "Great Mission, Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm impressed by consistency of integrity, commitment to really making a difference, and continuous improvement in everything that we do. A very intentional culture.

Cons

Hard to think of anything here.

Advice to Management

Never relent on staying agile and prioritizing the purpose and performance driven culture of the company.

5. "Living the Dream of Making our Country Safe and Saving Lives"

Current Employee - President in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - President in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is one of those rare companies that lives it’s guiding principles every day. The company is committed to excellence in everything it does.

Cons

Given the other companies I have seen in my career, nothing comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Never change your approach creating and maintaining a high performance organization.

6. "Incredibly Smart People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Next Century recruits incredibly smart people which makes working on projects a pleasure.

Cons

Working in any very secure environment has its challenges but this problem is not unique to Next Century.

7. "Systems Architect"

Current Employee - Systems Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Architect

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Knowing I'm part of an organization that values integrity makes a huge difference in the corporate culture. I know I can count on everyone from the leadership down to the newest hires to always ask, "What's the right thing," and then do that. I also appreciate working with some of the smartest, most creative folks in the industry. Everyone is encouraged to be in "learning mode" not "knowing mode", and that always keeps us moving onward and upward in the pursuit of excellence.

Cons

None that I can think of currently.

8. "Best company to work for!"

I have been working at Next Century full-time

Pros

Executive management makes an effort to get to know each and every employee. CEO stops by at least weekly to inquire on how I'm doing (personally, not business related). Wonderful work/life balance. Incredible benefits.

Cons

Still somewhat new. Nothing to add here.

9. "I'm not a number!"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always feel like I'm part of a team and a family here at Next Century. At previous places of work I always felt like a number, here at Next Century EVERYONE knows and remembers your name, especially management. They know about your hobbies and interests and they care about your well being outside of work as well. Each day is a challenge and I feel like I made a difference by the time I leave work.

Cons

Sometimes "too nice" can lead to problems.

10. "On the path to being the "Best" in our industry"

I have been working at Next Century full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Next Century is very Mission focused and the staff are among the smartest anywhere. Its a privilege to work here.

Cons

Our size limits our reach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!