Next Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can be long hours but should probably be expected (in 38 reviews)

• Do not get sucked into working full time here it is not a good career move unless you reach a management role at least (in 33 reviews)

1. "AVOID THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, able to move floors and priority over sale when the next sale comes in the summer.

Cons

5am Summer sale which is compulsory, high turnover rate, temporary contracts so when you make a mistake they don't have to extend your contract, rubbish pay, no communication between staff, not allowed to swap shifts and can only work upto 20 hours on a part time contract.
    along with 3 hour shift can also be allocated.. not even worth waking up for!

Advice to Management

don't employ people a couple of months and then train them up to then employ a new handful of people. It's ridiculous. even the people that wanted to stay was turfer out of thier own contracts.

"Hahahaha. Awful."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Exeter, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Erm.... Discount for uniform, discounts

Cons

Awful company to work for. Glad I left. After 6 years you would think they would treat you as a valuable member or stff but no. If I didn't hand my notice in I would of been fired FOR BEING SIGNED OFF!!!!!! (Assistant store manga get even told me that) despite my doctors note.

Advice to Management

Would seriously consider treating staff better. More praise instead of having so much negativity.
    Staff that have been signed off, for good reason too, you might want to help and understand where they are coming from and be a bit more passionate not to drive them away and hand their notice in.

"not amazing, typical retail, very busy and sweaty"

Pros

not much, 75% off uniform

Cons

constantly restocking without a break

Advice to Management

remember you work at next, not harrods

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

Pros

Nothing to say positive to say. The mangement is rude arrogant I hated working there

Cons

Staff turnover
    Rude management
    Management are unprofessional
    Just horrible place to work

Advice to Management

Train the management better

"Awful place"

Pros

None totally none, keep away.

Cons

No training,shown once how to use a till, can't do refunds as told i cant and the other team members getting annoyed because I ask them to do it. The permanent staff just stand around and talk and go for numerous breaks when I have none. Always get left on my own and its only my 2nd day, no one showed me how take off the alarmed tags and I had a massive cue and was just watched while struggling. The above is bad but I'm 17 and walking Into the stock room to find 2 employees having sex......disgusting. Have no choice but work here until I find another job. Management ? What management. Training ? What training.

Advice to Management

Get a grip, you need a shake down starting with the managers.

"Next are snakes who decide to continuously come close to breaking the law with their demand on young workers"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Solihull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Solihull, England (UK)

Pros

You've never felt happiness like walking out of work at the end of your shift.

Cons

You remember that you're working tomorrow, the next day and probably the next day and the next day after that

Advice to Management

Talk to employees like they actually are normal people and not the age of 2
    Actually consider our other lives outside of work (yes, we do have other lives) and understand we can't work shifts.

"Belittling"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

The discount and the fellow sales assistants

Cons

I turned down a job at sainsburys to work here because I thought I would find I more enjoyable. I could not have been more wrong. I had no proper training apart from watching a couple of videos which were impossible to hear anyway. I was thrown into a shift with someone who had never taught anyone else before but fair enough they did their best. As for the management team, awful. At first I thought it would be the younger girls on the team I'd struggle fitting in with, but the only people making me feel like that are the GROWN women on the management team. One of them especially is on my case all the time. Despite me not having proper training and only being there for a short space of time, I am expected to know everything, otherwise I just get a sigh when I ask for help. I have been made to feel so small and useless in front of customers it is upsetting and embarrassing, to the point I don't want to go into work in case I make the smallest mistake. Despite absolutely hating my job and having an unbelievable amount of college work to do, I turn up to every shift on time with a smile on my face and I could not be more polite and helpful to customers if I tried. I had my first review yesterday and I was marked as 'inconsistent' (crap, basically), and if I didn't improve there would be disciplinatory action taken. So after all my hard work and being made to feel like an idiot, that's the thanks I get. I started at the end of January and I already plan to leave. I've written this review so that no one makes the same mistake I did. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

"Tiring,Measly Break Allowance,Poor Management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Truro, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Truro, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount card
    Fairly stylish clothing.
    Customer base are generally lovely people to serve.

Cons

Poor management and treatment of staff (typically those in a 'lower' job role ).
    Vague requests by manager,lack of well-planned training.
    Will always expect you to come in on their terms.
    Zero flexibility.
    Very little praise compared to the amount of discipline and talking-down.

Advice to Management

Manage.
    Treat your staff correctly and perhaps they'll be more enthusiastic and much quicker to help out.
    Be clearer and more concise when dishing out feedback.

"Terrible Company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Over time always available through employee portal, 75% discount uniform allowance, 25% discount.

Cons

- Poor pay (No Sunday Premium, Normal rate of pay for bank holidays)
    - Bonus relying on 2 Mystery shopping experiences per month
    - Hard to progress
    - Have to apply for your contract every 1-2 years through contract consultations
    - Shifts can get cut/added without notifying you
    - No appreciation from management.
    - Massive turn over of staff (50% of the business staff leave within a year)
    - Management like to 'make things up as they go' (Procedures regarding the staff Handbook)
    - Demanding work hours through 'Red weeks' in July and December.
    - Putting you on shifts when you have no availability
    - Cannot booking holiday's in 7 weeks of the year half of July and the whole of December)
    - You practically don't have a Christmas - Have to work Christmas eve, Boxing day and 27th.
    - Store systems are poor (Have to ring Head office to change the air con settings!)

Advice to Management

- Show more appreciation to your staff!
    - Read the staff handbook before proceeding with investigations meetings/Disciplinary meetings

10. "customer sales"

Pros

friendly co workers and sttaff

Cons

never know wwhen you will get any work

Showing 417 of 1,020 reviews