Next Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Simon Wolfson

1,059 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working long hours around sales increasing pressure across the store made it difficult at times, although the extra hours did help out (in 42 reviews)

• Do not get sucked into working full time here it is not a good career move unless you reach a management role at least (in 36 reviews)

1. "Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Discount.... staff were lovely but you could see the pressure they were under.

Cons

Christmas hours are ridiculous. I have worked in retail for four years until I went to Next. Bad move. Rota’d In for practically all week over Christmas despite only being contracted to one day. Needless to say I handed my notice in that day.
    No training. Literally being left to ‘wing it’. Luckily all the customers that had issues I couldn’t solve until I ‘winged it’ were very nice and understanding.

Advice to Management

Train better and you’ll keep staff. Also sort Christmas hours out! People with children especially don’t want to work until midnight up until Christmas and then be in at 5am Boxing Day!

2. "Very good."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities to earn bonuses. Good uniform allowance and discount. Friendly team and some good people. Corporate discount. Good delivery bonus if working delivery.

Cons

Can get stuck with boring duties during the day depending on the team you are working in. But the longer you’re there the better it gets.
    Pay is low

Advice to Management

No e

3. "Worst company in the world"

Former Employee - Complaints Handler in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Complaints Handler in London, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none, just don’t bother

Cons

Treat customers and employees with no respect

Advice to Management

Sorry you can’t teach class and you certainly don’t have ANY

4. "Terrible Management"

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Challenging, busy, fun, good discount

Cons

Awful top level management, too many things to do before sale, never enough staff

Advice to Management

Be more aware of shop floor

5. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are nice, if you love retail then youll love this role. Discount is also good.

Cons

Staff are nice however managers are not. They are rude. Not good pay and you dont have many opportunities to learn and gain the knowledge you want.
    I have been here for two years and never had a single name badge evem asking all the managers. I have never ever done anything besides replen, recovery and serving customers on the till.
    I was put down as under performing for not knowing how to merchandise when I had never been taught this and i was star reviewed by a manger who had only worked with me once or twice at the beginning of my start date!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally and understand that everyone has personal needs that they may need to attend to.

6. "Xmas period"

I have been working at Next Retail full-time

Pros

Good training, pay with OTE bonus.

Cons

Management don't seem to have time for you

7. "Good place"

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Great place to work. Enjoyed it

Cons

could have more staff at busy periods

8. "Worst Place I Have ever worked at"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor and Complaints Handler in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Good pay
    And absolutely nothing else

Cons

Poor holidays
    No independence
    Poor systems
    Poor customer service
    Management are rubbish
    Majority of Team managers only care about themselves
    Barely any help
    Nobody really cares about the staff

Advice to Management

Working at directory is like going to school where you are monitored very closely. You need to trust staff more and focus on staff wellbeing. Listen to advisors more and interact with the advisors. Team managers need to listen to staff and help them out. Out of experience, a lot of the things i had requested from my team manager were completely ignored. Senior management need to stop covering peoples back and start dealing with issues in the workplace. Treat advisors more like staff rather than kids

9. "Good first job, expoits staff"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

75% Uniform Discount
    25% Family discount

If you're in school or a parent the hours are very flexible around school hours and education.

Online system to give away or take extra shifts.

Good team based bonus system based on mystery shopper reviews. Encourages team mentality.

Numerous ways to up your wage; Selling certain shoes would give you 15p per sale. Doing the sale recall cane give you up to £200 in next gift card depending on how well you do. Delivery bonus for the delivery team.

Next do like to stay ahead of the minimum wage.

Next Share Save scheme to buy shares in the company.

Next has a great customer service culture. It is the main focus of the company.

Next Employee Perks scheme to save money on hundreds of brands.

Cons

Poor Training. Non-existent or inconstant.

Contracted hours can be changed by management -/+ 1 hour before or after your contracted start/end times. You have to check your rota weekly to ensure you know your start and finish times. For those who have other commitment this is very frustrating.

The online shift system; if you limit your work availability you are not able to see shifts for the hours you have said you're not available. However if you make your availability very open Next can add shifts without asking you. Lose-lose situation.

Very limited full-time positions. I worked part-time on a 7.5 then a 14 hour contract. Yet was asked and was able to pick up full time hours. Just without the benefits!

Constantly called last minute to cover shifts, to the point where I was ignoring calls. Management pleading with you to go in, felt like a lot of pressure.

Managers apparently not able to give references, these must be requested from HO Payroll. They take ages to arrive and contain very little information.

Terms of your contract mean you MUST work summer and winter sales, bank holidays, Christmas even and boxing day, new years eve and new years eve day.
    On Boxing day you start work at 4am for delivery and 5am for sales staff unless you're unlucky enough to get the afternoon shift then you're faced with twice as many customers and a messy store.

Uniform checks. Someone that was approved by one manager was rejected by another. Causing embarrassment and confusion with staff. Should have general uniform rules throughout the business. If one store has a more conservative manager to another, you get very different opinions on uniform,

Advice to Management

Value your staff. More training. Communicate to your staff more, actually use the staff notice board. Too much communication was by word of mouth, which meant some people missed information entirely and others got watered down info.

Employ not only those in school but all ages.

10. "Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly team and very flexible in terms of roles, albeit warehouse or shop floor.

Cons

The sale days are crazy and sometimes seem fairly unorganized.

Advice to Management

n/a

Showing 1,059 of 1,144 reviews