Next Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
Cons
  • Can be long hours but should probably be expected (in 35 reviews)

• Do not get sucked into working full time here it is not a good career move unless you reach a management role at least (in 31 reviews)

1. "managers"

Pros

flexible hours
    clothing allowance
    organised
    lunch breaks
    pay

Cons

unfriendly managers
    poor communication
    holiday pay

2. "Lovely team"

Former Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Good team, and a great rota system which allows you to offer and pick up shifts without having to message anyone.

Cons

No real down sides, there was no double time on bank holidays which is common in retail but apart from that it was great.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "Poor and demotivating Management"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Solihull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Solihull, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with chances to improve salary based on product knowledge. Most of my fellow co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. 25% store discount.

Cons

Largely, a very poor management team. Very biased towards people they were friendly with, my department manager seemed to take a dislike to all of the male co-workers on our department and at times openly showed her dislike towards male team members. Management were very demotivating and I hated coming into work, the final 6 months were particularly hard to motivate myself to come in, couldn't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

Respect all your employees no matter what your personal feelings towards them maybe. Try to keep your employees motivated and help create an environment that they want to come and work in.

5. "Great Store - Poor upper management"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely store and product.
    Some really great team members.
    Good discount.

Cons

Poor upper management.
    Pushing own agenda and often conflicting with other members of management making it almost impossible to achieve a balance.

6. "Next-Delivery Assistant"

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Discount, sales, shift work

Cons

Boxing Day sales, retail hours

7. "Birmingham bullring 226"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

25% next discount
    15% discount on branded items
    75% uniform discount based on your contract
    If you work full-time you have to be in head to toe next clothing. If you work part-time only your top has to be from next and your black trousers can be from any brand (According to the next staff handbook). I was told by a manager even if you work part-time if your allowance is over £200 then you have to wear full next uniform.
    Next employee portal: you can see your rota, you can pick overtime on sales floor, admin or stockroom and offer up you contracted shifts for other colleagues to take. Check you pay for the current month and the following. Book holidays but can't book time off in red weeks which is July and December. You can change your availability. You can look to see if your store or other stores have any contracts going this is where you would need to look if you want a store transfer.

Cons

At next your just a number at work ,unless it's about next managers don't care about your personal problems. Managers don't respect staff they speak to you in a disrespectful, rude and patronising tone. I have even heard senior management talking about staff to other mangers on the shop floor in an unprofessional manner. Managers will put shifts on your rota at short notice without telling you and when you say you can't do the shift they tell you that they're not going to take it off and you have to offer it up on shift marketplace. A lot of bully culture goes on at the next bullring 226 but people are scared to complain because they think they will loose their job.

Managers breach confidential I've seen people's disciplinary records card left on the back of tills. when people call in sick I've heard senior management saying to other managers that the person is lying and their just lazy. If you call in sick you will get moaned at and told you let the store down

Advice to Management

Managers need to go on a training course on people skills because the way some managers speak to staff is shocking and absolutely unacceptable
    Staff can't train people properly because they their isn't enough staff to cover the zones
    Recognise and praise staff for great service rather than criticising them all the time
    When staff offer suggestions on how to improve the business/store listen to them as if you care rather than pretending and waiting for them to stop speaking
    When the area manager does a store visit the senior management team shouldn't act different and unnatural
    Managers need to take responsibility for when they make mistakes rather blaming other people .
    Why do grade 6 managers feel it's necessary to bully grade 8 coordinators just because they are below them
    People should get promoted because they are the best person for the job not because they are the managers favourites, friends or related to them

8. "NEXT PLC"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy enough to get days off
    25% discount card for use at any store
    Team are really nice

Cons

Repetitive
    Hard to get training done
    Sometimes hard to communicate with management

Advice to Management

Listen to requests from workers and act on them sooner rather than later. Some managers are better than others

9. "excellent"

Pros

everything about it is fantastic, I don't have a complaint about the company

Cons

not enough hours, this is a problem especially if you are a student looking to get a bit extra on the side.

10. "Next, Sales Consultant"

Pros

Good management, laid-back environment, opportunity for small bonuses

Cons

Essential that employees work on the lead up to Christmas, boxing day and throughout mid-July

11. "Great!"

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant

Pros

25% staff discount, 75% uniform allowance (you pay 25%), can hold over items at sale time, bonus every month and at sale time. Employee Portal has all shifts online and you can take extra hours, offer your shift to a colleague, book holidays. I am a student and have a good contract, but the management are fairly flexible if you work with them. Some of the people on here complaining are probably the sort of people who do little other than exactly what they're told. In my Next, if we are good at our jobs and don't slack, if we help them out with a few extra hours if they are stuck or busy, then there is usually no trouble whatsoever getting holiday bookings approved, getting shifts changed slightly, etc. It is like everything, you need a bit of give and take so if you help them out, they'll help you out.

If a customer leaves in a positive review and names you personally, you can also get a gift card and mentioned in the noticeboard. Recently, some of my managers have also ran competitions that give a gift basket to the employee who has the most 'extra sales' (i.e. they recommended an item to the customer that they customer did not come in looking for but they purchased, such as the customer bought a dress and the employee recommended shoes which the customer then bought). The prize is a basket with £10 gift card, sweets, crisps, soft drinks, a few beers. Whilst this is not a company-wide thing, it is a good incentive for staff. It really just depends on who your managers are!

Cons

At sale time, you can get an excessive amount of hours even if you are only a part-timer. Whilst this is good for students like myself, I have worked there for 3 years and it is annoying to have to work so much in the run up to Christmas. In saying that, most retail jobs would require a lot of extra hours over Christmas so this is not unique to Next.

Advice to Management

Some people in Head Office who make rules clearly have never worked on the shopfloor. Things like having less tills on to save money is all well and good, but not when you're the only person on the till and there is a queue of impatient customers. Store managers are fine as they work on the floor also and help out, but some of the other staff just don't have the same knack as they have never had to do it before.