Next Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Next Retail Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, high expectations and can be rather boring at times (in 30 reviews)

• no extra pay on bank holidays, or sales (in 13 reviews)

1. "Sales Assistant"

Pros

internal progression within the company

Cons

company has a high employee turnover

2. "customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

a good place to work for.

Cons

give more promotions to its employees

Advice to Management

take a note of there good staff

3. "Sales consultant"

I have been working at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Very friendly work environment
    You get to interact with a lot of people
    Don't take work home with you

Cons

Pay is poor
    Few opportunities for progression
    Often have to do so many tasks in a day that we simply weren't being paid enough to do

Advice to Management

Make benefit distribution fairer and listen to your staff more

5. "sales assistant"

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

discount, co workers, online portal

Cons

too much pressure from mystery shops, no overtime

6. "Next Boredom"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

I met a lot of fun people working here, good joyful attitude and most of the senior management were easy going. Working hours on my fixed contract was pretty limited to only 8 hours a week, which worked out to be only one day a week. However extra hours were readily available.

Cons

Staff area is poor compared to most other places
    Working here is so boring, so be prepared to die of boredom
    Sales season is nightmare when it comes stocking sales merchandise and then the actual sale itself.

7. "Sales Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible job specially being full time student. They will always support you.

Cons

Office and shop floor should have more communication

Advice to Management

More communication between management and shop floor.

8. "it was ok"

I worked at Next Retail part-time

Pros

- good team ethic
    - lots of flexibility with shifts, they have an 'online market place' where you can pick up extra shifts or offer shifts that you are unable to work to other colleagues

Cons

- can be very boring at times if youre in a small store, particularly in the week when there aren't many customers. it can make the time pass so slowly

"Insight into Next."

Current Employee - Delivery Coordinator
    Current Employee - Delivery Coordinator

Pros

Staff discount.
    Generous uniform allowance.
    Met some great people.

Cons

Company is extremely corporate.
    Sole focus tends to be on cost saving, usually resulting in cut in man hours, poor staffing levels, unrealistic expectation of man power required to complete a job thoroughly.
    Usually resulting in commercial/operational procedures not being completed to a high standard, essence is on speed sacrificing quality in work.
    Little investment in staff also means, numerous part - time contracts, little engagement , interest and commitment for staff. Poor morale.
    Current focus for the company is people, however little focus has been put into staff as always profitability of the business takes priority.

To conclude being a FTSE 100 company Next clearly know how to turnover a huge profit.
    However as a business, Next need to reconsider their idea of profitability, invest into people and in turn witness how a business operates with a strongly engaged workforce.

Advice to Management

Stress of the position and demand form seniors can lead to poor management.
    Break the cycle, suggest new ways of thinking, identify & isolate problems instead of working around them.

10. "bad"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

discount-25% off full price items excluding electrical and 10% off branded products
    bonus scheme
    pension
    uniform allowance-75% off

Cons

worked here on/off for a few years recently given 4 weeks notice because they cannot afford to keep staff on. but we might get our jobs back in a few weeks if sales pick up how can we rely on work here when they do this. this is a company wide issue and its not fair on both current staff members or the ones who have been sacked. the staff wont get any shifts covered or anything now and sales will suffer. have absolute no motivation to go into work and management just pile more pressure on to keep up the standard of customer service.

Advice to Management

look after staff and don't have favourites. some people would get away with murder and others get sacked because they started only a few months ago this has not been planned well and you are losing some of your best staff and keeping the ones who do no work

11. "Sales Assistant at Next."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant online portal service which allows you to check payslips, offer and take extra shifts and book your holidays. Also good values as a company, they focus on making the customers happy and encourage you to maintain high standards in the store.

Cons

Depending on which store you end up on, sometimes the job can be a little full on. For example I worked in a small C grade store for a year and then transferred to the flagship store on Oxford Street. Of course, a store in London will always be a lot busier however on top of the tasks you are expected to do daily you can't really focus on giving good customer service.

Advice to Management

Again, it varies with stores. I have heard a few horror stories about managers in certain stores from friends, however I have never had any trouble with management. My first store had an excellent manager who helped me with whatever I needed and was friendly to all of the staff. However in the bigger store I moved to, although the managers where friendly it was a lot harder to get them to do anything for you for example I asked to be transferred home for christmas months in advance yet it was left until weeks before.