Next Step Living "nsl" Reviews | Glassdoor

Next Step Living Employee Reviews about "nsl"

Updated Nov 27, 2017

Next Step Living CEO Chris Catalano
Chris Catalano
Pros
  • "Was very fortunate to get the opportunity to work for nsl(in 14 reviews)

• "Type of work environment where you can voice your opinion(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any rapidly growing company, there are growing pains involved(in 14 reviews)

• "Unfortunately NSL shut their doors in the spring of 2016(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "nsl"

Return to all Reviews

"Solar advisor mass"

I have been working at Next Step Living

Pros

Best training. Excellent leaders. Great work environment. Really a great place to work. Was very fortunate to get the opportunity to work for nsl

Cons

Long hours and weekend shifts. Most weekends you either have to work Saturday or Sunday once a month you have to work both weekend days

Advice to Management

There is no advice I could give management. I think that the leadership at nsl is really what makes working here so great. Would not have them any differently.

Next Step Living2015-08-06
  2. "Reduce your carbon footprint"

I worked at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Help clients save money, be come comfortable in their homes while reducing their carbon footprint.

Cons

Unfortunately NSL shut their doors in the spring of 2016

Next Step Living2017-11-27
  3. "great while it lasted"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There was lots of opportunity to learn and grow at all levels. For the most part, everyone was a good person who genuinely good person who cared deeply about seeing NSL succeed.

Cons

Office space not the best Middle management forced to spend too much time in meetings and not leading teams

Advice to Management

Let spend more time managing and less time defending teams Spend more time understanding business at ground level

Next Step Living2016-04-13
  4. "Was a great place to work until..."

I worked at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

I had some of the best coworkers you could ask for, and plenty of opportunity for growth in the company. Casual work environment. Great sustainability mission.

Cons

NSL suffered huge layoffs over the past year across every department and management level except tech development. Don't work here if you need financial stability. If you are early in your career or looking for a career change, it may be worth the risk.

Advice to Management

Tend carefully to employee morale as you hopefully recover over the next year.

Next Step Living2016-03-17

"Exciting place to work with lots of great people and opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NSL is a great place to work, especially if you are starting your career and looking to get exposure to many things. The company moves at a fast pace and those that can keep up are rewarded with upward movement and exposure. The company is also mission focused and they are really trying to radically change the home energy efficiency market. Management is open to investing in ideas and solutions that would benefit... the company. Collaborative office space that reflects the open company culture.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing company, there are growing pains involved. Tend to over-complicate things when not necessary. Sometimes processes aren't fully vetted before being implemented. Not a lot of company wide communication regarding performance and targets, so people are blind-sided when the occasional restructuring occurs.

Advice to Management

More company wide communication on performance and initiatives. Keep your employees well compensated and engaged in order to retain them

Next Step Living2015-11-13

"NSL Has Cut Huge Numbers of Employees Since Jan. 2015"

Former Employee - Outreach Department in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

NSL is a fine place to work if you need some extra money while looking for a different job (many of us would recommend that you start looking as soon as you're hired). It used to be a great place to work, prior to December 2014 teams worked well, helped each other out, and the morale in the office and field was high. After December 2014 huge numbers of employees were laid-off , or told they needed to reapply for... their [current] positions with few positions actually available to move back into. - The Outreach Department and their support teams were cut down significantly - The Inside Sales Representatives (ISR) were cut drastically - The Solar Department "merged" with another company laying off most of the solar operations teams. - HVAC and Ductless Mini-split teams were cut out (I believe entirely, but I'm not sure since I didn't work directly with them)

Cons

- Job Security - Office Morale is "At An All Time Low"- Current Employee - Pay is not great, but is fine if you have another job or if you just need a job for now so that you can have a current job on your resume. NSL has, in the past, cut down departments by telling the employees in those departments that they need to reapply to their current positions and only hired back about 2/3's-1/2. At this time... the morale was low and the employees were frantic, uneasy and cut throat.

Advice to Management

Be Transparent. - Let your employees know what is actually happening so that they can prepare in advance for what is to come, maybe that way you can keep office and team morale higher which may lead to better customer service. Secrets make for shady companies.

Next Step Living2015-11-15

"Nice people, nice environment, kind of disorganized"

I worked at Next Step Living for more than 3 years

Pros

Really nice people, was able to work on something I care about, was able to contribute and innovate during my tenure there.

Cons

It was often like building a plane in mid-air. I felt NSL had a long way to go in terms of organization across departments.

Advice to Management

Most of customer concerns I have encountered came from disorganization - this should be closely looked at. Otherwise, I had a great time working at NSL.

Next Step Living2015-11-05

"Community Solar Specialist"

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Opportunity for those who work for it or for those who interview well. I would have reviewed this business better several months ago but since the company initial restructuring I would caution anyone that would apply to NSL.

Cons

Volatile management structure, systemic mismanagement , consistent department and compensation restructurings.

Next Step Living2015-12-07

"Fast paced; good, smart people"

I have been working at Next Step Living

Pros

The company truly cares about the mission, the environment and its people. If you are a high performer and OK with change, NSL has great opportunities to prove yourself and move up or over in the organization. Lots of great, smart people who believe in what they are doing.

Cons

Sometimes the change can wear you down. Open floor plan is good but facilities could be better.

Advice to Management

Communicate big picture and specific accomplishments with the team. Try to find new ways to listen to employees.

Next Step Living2015-08-20

"Lots of great people and great opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly innovative, fast-paced, intelligent, passionate co-workers - Exposure to the Leadership team and top executives - It's nice working at a company with a purpose - Always changing (I like that) and high energy work environment - Great place to gain experience and skills by tackling challenges you wouldn't be able to attempt at other companies - There's always something to do! It's never a... dull day at NSL - Most positions provide a lot of room for career opportunities especially as the company moves forward. A good chunk of employees have had multiple positions and many have been able to move up. - If you're a fast-paced, hard worker, you'll love it here!

Cons

- There are some growing pains at NSL, but if you like change and are adaptable, it's not that bad. - One of those growing pains is dealing with decisions that are made quickly. In the past, it seemed some decisions were made flippantly, but the company seems to now be making well thought out, confident decisions - It's not the same company I joined in the beginning. While it's still very focused on energy... efficiency, it's beginning to branch out on how it tackles this and having to make hard decisions in areas that don't make sense financially. - Compensation and benefits packages could be better.

Advice to Management

Try harder to retain talented, innovative individuals who believe in the company. Keep heading in the current direction and continue to be transparent about changes in the company.

Next Step Living2015-07-30