Next Step Living "nsl" Reviews | Glassdoor

Next Step Living Reviews

Updated Nov 27, 2017

Next Step Living CEO Chris Catalano
Chris Catalano

"Mission sounds good but culture is lacking"

Former Employee - Energy Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Visionary executive leadership. Attracts bright young and energetic employees.

Cons

Way too hard-driving on customers as well as employees. Very hard to keep up. Burn-out at NSL is endemic. Over promise and under deliver is a way of life.

Advice to Management

Start over

Next Step Living2015-08-14

"Great place to begin and develop a green-collar career - Hard work that will with huge rewards"

Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living

Pros

- Excellent environment for advancement and learning. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, expect to rise above your peers and be selected for new projects and gain valuable experiences. -Management will recognize and invest in your talent if they see it. Sometimes you have to speak up to be heard but if you stand your ground and have a solid, well thought out idea it will be implemented or considered. - Opportunities for young people to start a career in energy efficiency. Even in Boston - MA, the most energy efficient state in the country, opportunities for this are few and far between (especially for non-STEM educated individuals.) Use this experience wisely and never pass up offers to advance or develop -Motivated and smart co-workers

Cons

-Pay can be on the lower end - but if you're working to start a career in energy and environment, the experience here will be worth more than they could ever pay you. -Projects move quickly. Sometimes you will be working things out as you go. Learn to work under pressure and be flexible, and again, the experience will impress upon future employers (and especially your management at NSL)

Advice to Management

-Take projects a little slower. Sometimes moving quickly, while good for short-term business, can be detrimental to customers and business in the future. Even if things turn out fine the stress can wear on employee performance and negatively affect practices for the future.

Next Step Living2015-06-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Fast paced, challenging, rewarding."

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extremely challenging. Intelligent management and coworkers. Dynamic - never a dull day. Fulfilling work. Incredible place to be if you enjoy hard work, learning, helping people, and if you care deeply about energy efficiency.

Cons

It's just not for everybody. There are plenty of stable, cushy, environments out there and that's important to many people. That's not what you get with NSL.

Advice to Management

Communication has only improved over the years. The focus on customer experience appears to be paying off for customers and NSL. Keep those things going.

Next Step Living2015-05-02

"Great experience so far!"

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

i joined NSL 3 months ago love it so far! Very open culture - from the environment to communication. The company has a mission that is very socially conscience and whatever role you have you can feel like you are contributing to a greater good. The people I work with are awesome -super smart, willing to help, understands that there is a learning curve. Overall, a great experience.

Cons

The company moves fast. Its not for everyone but for those who don't mind a fast pace and a lot of change, its great

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate the company vision and when the course changes in getting there.

Next Step Living2015-04-10

"Great mission, great colleagues, lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Next Step Living was founded to help homeowners live more comfortably and sustainably... while helping solve the climate crisis. It's fabulous to work for a company that is a model of how a for-profit company can be part of the solution to a global problem. NSL has great opportunities to learn and grow. Many of the positions require little previous experience, but the ability to work hard (really hard!) and the desire to learn.

Cons

Working for a fast growing company means lots of change and ambiguity. On any given day your process may be turned upside down as we constantly seek to improve our process.

Advice to Management

Better communication! Front line employees need to hear more from management and leadership about what is changing and why.

Next Step Living2015-03-04
  7. "You can start your career here, but don't expect to build one, at least not in the Connecticut office."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Decent work/life balance, laid back office culture. My manager was truly exceptional and always went out of her way to make sure I had the tools I needed to succeed here and be supported. Not your typical 9-5 cubicle environment, every day is certainly unique!

Cons

I'm really torn. When I started I loved this company because I loved the idea of working somewhere I could believe in and that had such a fun, dynamic atmosphere. I quickly realized that the outreach department is essentially nothing more than sales, and of late has become more like working for a home improvement company than an environmental, mission-focused company. My problems with NSL lie almost exclusively within the Connecticut office where I worked, though. The office is mostly comprised of twenty somethings, many of whom have never had a real job before working at NSL and have little to no managerial experience. When there are promotions in the CT outreach department, they are exclusively handed out to the existing managers' friends, not people who have earned them. (Note: I was not in outreach when I left, so this is not just a bitter person who didn't get promoted.) There are too often problems with the building the office is located in (heat sometimes just breaks in the middle of the winter for days at a time!), little transparency into pay, and communication across all fronts, particularly with headquarters in Boston. Finally (and most damning for me) I stopped believing in the company when it transitioned to selling products that are more about profit and less about actual net carbon impact.

Advice to Management

Promote people in CT with experience and leadership skills, not just the friends of managers who have never led a group of children, let alone employees. Bottom line, stop blaming problems on being a "start up" and take ownership of what should be done before you lose even more quality employees in the Connecticut office!

Next Step Living2015-03-12

"It's a great environment to work in."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Next Step Living for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is very welcoming at NSL - A laid back work environment - It's fairly easy to transfer from departments

Cons

- There's a dog in the workspace; stares at you as you eat your lunch. - The call center software was always breaking

Advice to Management

People need feedback to know how they are doing.

Next Step Living2015-01-29

"Couldn't ask to work for a better comapny"

Current Employee - Community Solar in Boston, MA

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was attracted to Next Step Living because of its mission and available opportunity, and have stayed with the company for nearly two years now because of the room for personal/professional growth offered and the positive energy of my colleagues. Management on all levels is incredibly approachable and usually very fair, something that is in my opinion an extremely important aspect for any business. At NSL, you're able to pursue whatever interests you most, and if you're dedicated to working hard and accomplishing the goals set out by the mission, you can get far and feel good about what you're doing.

Cons

In order to achieve such amazing growth that NSL has in the past six years, there's a need for aggressive sales strategies built into the operations, but everything the company provides is only in the customer's best interests. While I haven't experienced it myself very much, I have seen examples of poor middle management in other departments that value certain traits which don't often lead to a quality customer experience (e.g. canvasser team leads acting as bullies).

Advice to Management

I believe there is still room for more of a focus on promoting work-life balance, but I can't complain very much. Additionally, I believe managers should be held to even higher standards than those underneath them, and should be looked at in a number of different categories.

Next Step Living2015-01-09
  10. "Neighborhood Marketing Representative"

Former Employee - Neighborhood Marketing Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a great message and I like what they stand for. The office is full of young people and they're all pretty friendly. Makes for a great office dynamic. NSL's push towards sustainable energy and community involvement is a big plus. The company has good potential in their future endeavors.

Cons

Work to life balance was very difficult. I spent 90% of my time working there out in the field as a canvasser. I started in the winter and there is nothing worse than spending 8 hours a day outside in 10 degree weather going door to door and being turned down constantly. NSL is a rapidly growing company as far as employees go so there are some obvious growing pains associated with that. Poor communication between departments and a fast turnover for canvassers (2-5 months) Pay is $12 an hour at the base level and you're paid based off the commission you earn. It is hard to keep up the numbers when you're working in the winter. Not to mention that if you don't meet the standards, you only have three chances before they fire you. Can lead to a very stressful work environment. By the end of my time there, I felt like all my manager cared about were how many visits we scheduled and how many units we sold. We rarely talked about the impact that we were doing for the environment - the only reason I decided to apply for the position in the first place. It ended up being a numbers contest between me and the rest of the canvassing team. Very immature work environment.

Advice to Management

Treat your canvassing team better - they're one of your main income sources Focus on the environmental impact instead of the profits if you want to keep us around Be constructive with your feedback and help people that are struggling instead of figuring out the best way to replace them once they're gone.

Next Step Living2014-10-11

"Solar Sales Advisor"

I have been working at Next Step Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Company is well run and has the optimal number of layers of management to not only improve the customer experience but also the efficiency and profitability of the company. I am always impressed that team leaders and sales managers are focused on the customer. NSL makes a very large impact and constantly trains its employees to better themselves, enhance their knowlege about energy efficiency and articulate that to the customer so that a family may take meaningful action to save money, become more comfortable, and improve the enviroment.

Cons

Salaries are not the highest but if you are in sales, your performance-pay is based on your work ethic, ability to take constructive criticism, and persistence - they teach the rest.

Advice to Management

Stay on track, utilize customer base to introduce new product offerings to help customers save money and reduce dependence on oil and gas.

Next Step Living2014-05-02