NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
NextEra Energy, Inc. President & CEO James L. Robo
James L. Robo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance actually means something to the managers here (in 18 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits and 401k program (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge depending on the business unit (in 38 reviews)

• Some departments have no work life balance and you work really long hours (in 21 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. as an intern

Pros

Large number of opportunities for growth

Cons

Nothing I can think of

2. "Nuclear"

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

No pros to mention. Compensation is poor for amount of on call work and duty schedule.

Cons

Worst management I've worked for. Management only concerned with not spending any money so their year end reviews will be in high regard. This in turn leads to no corrective maintenance and deferrals of preventative maintenance.

Advice to Management

Stop being concerned with the quick rise to the next management position. Spend the money necessary for the plants to operate.

3. "Contractor for NextEra"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well for contract work.

Cons

No benefits or vacation there.

Advice to Management

None to speak of.

"Worst company to work for in the 20+ years I have been working! Management is horrible."

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

0 - NONE. The only thing I would say is the parking is good and employee doesn't have to pay for it

Cons

Office politics. Very clickish. Worst company with office politics I have ever worked for. If you are not in their click, other employees will do what they can to get rid of you and tattle tell to HR instead of having an adult professional conversation. It's like high school all over!

Advice to Management

Management is horrible!! They don't listen to employees.

5. "Wind Turbine Technician Level 2"

Former Employee - Wind Technician Level II
    Former Employee - Wind Technician Level II

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits package

Cons

Site was very understaffed. 5 techs for 40 turbines and each tech had a collateral duty with a large amount of online training and testing and only work an 8 hr. day. On call was 3 weeks on/ 2 weeks off, but had 100% availability requirement. Crew was rundown and very tired so they were making mistakes and poor teamwork. It seemed my site supervisor was stressed out from upper managements demands.

Advice to Management

Yes, it's good to run lean and keep costs low, but not at the expense of your people. At this site you took it too far and it became an unsafe working environment.

"Average Company"

Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Juno Beach, FL

Pros

Friendly people, on site gym, clinic, decent benefits, 401k, pension.

Cons

Pay is below average, hard to move up even with hard work, yearly bonus is usually 3% or less. Hard work isn't rewarded but expected. No other companies to work for in the area. You have to pick up the slack of workers that should be doing their job but somehow never get fired? I suggest staying away from this company. They will fire you if it helps the O&M budget and bottom line, you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and start rewarding hard workers instead of your pockets. Your salaries are high enough.

""Don't do it""

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits on site, nice gym, healthy food, good coffee shop

Cons

Politics at every step, you need a 'manager to protect' you and getting fired is very easy. The location isn't particularly great for other employment either.

Very toxic environment and worse in some groups than the other. Their 'relationship building' advice is a proxy for their lack of any management skills and that's the only way to get stuff done here.

Most people don't care about renewable energy that they work for. They literally cut down trees with bird dwellings to put up 'clean solar and wind', they get into constant battles with native tribes and never understood why they don't have a proactive approach to working with tribes.

Everyone is always scared, little or no respect for risk taking

Advice to Management

Fix the toxic environment, it will only get you that far, especially now that your stocks are low and the new government doesn't care for your business much

"Politics Reign"

Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great campus, cafeteria, training center

Cons

This company does not need to compete for customers (monopoly) or employees (only game in town), that leaves a lot of time available for internal politics. One of the most political organizations I have worked for in that one wrong word will get you set up then fired, even if that wrong word was said in confidence to your boss. I know several people who have had this happen to them.

Managers and fellow employees have no qualms with making coworkers lives miserable until they leave then firing them if they don't. If you work here and even think you are being "constructively terminated" you are - seek out legal representation. They do it all the time and brag about it after the fact. In fact, I have never worked for a group who routinely trashed more of it's ex-employees. It is a red flag every time I hear it - like someone who never gets over their ex.

If you have worked for real companies you will be astounded at what passes for management here, low level supervisors major on minors and completely miss the boat when it comes to leading teams with communication, strategy and process. Underlings struggle on what to do as management would rather build dependence than strong leaders. Positions which should be senior are turned into junior versions and the position you applied for isn't what you get. People with multiple credentials and distinguished careers have to ask permission for everything they do. The path up includes groveling, submission and endurance which is referred to as "relationships."

If you just want "a job" as many here do, then this is fine. If you want an exciting, self actualizing career, look elsewhere. By all means, do NOT leave another city to take a role here because if it doesn't work out you will be stuck without any other opportunities nearby. Buy a second home in Florida and rent it out when not in use. You will be happier.

"Aggressive Cheap Company"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the few large employers in Florida, if you live here there are few options. I would suggest starting your own business before going to work for these leeches.

Cons

Cheap aggressive management, only focused in cutting expenses. Employees are Overhead Expenses contractors are Capital Investment, anyone is doomed to fail with such accounting. Very likely to outsource all IT jobs to India. Horrible benefits, horrible insurance. The only reason that they may look "good" is because companies in Florida don't provide any benefits. Only come to Florida if you are going to retire. They treat their employees like crap and give them multiple concurrent assignment. It is a shame that these tactics have rewarded this company to become the largest utility in the world. Companies that treat their workers fairly are being taken over by these leeches. No wonder the middle class is disappearing, let's outsource as much as we can.

Advice to Management

You do a good job of finding business opportunities, just stop crushing your employees while achieving your goals. You are now the largest utility in the world, try treating your people fairly.

"Hands down, the worst energy company I've worked for."

Former Employee - Wind Technician II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Wind Technician II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is good, decent uniforms. Generally good people to work with (peers). Every once in awhile you might have a bar-b-que made with the cheapest stuff one can but at your local wal-mart. That's about it.

Cons

Management is abysmal to say the least. They only hire outside for management to near exclusivity. In fact, they're more willing to hire completely unqualified personnel, those who don't even understand electrical theory, to be a manager than they are to promote one of their own technicians. They pretend to care about safety but will find ways to punish you for reporting safety issues. They don't take any real action to safety concerns and will accuse you of sheer laziness or play a type of blame game if you bring up a legitimate safety concern that they seem to difficult to solve. In fact, I've personally brought up a significant number of safety concerns with simple, cost effective solutions to solve them. It nearly cost me my job. They produce safety bulletins daily ad nauseum, that are meant to correct safety deficiencies that basically do the opposite. They allow any manger, no matter inept, to post these bulletins that make sweeping commands and changes in work practices and procedures without regard to their efficacy or actual ability to implement. Nearly every safety bulletin is either redacted or ignored by upper management as a result yet the practice still continues. They refuse to implement any real level of standardization with regards to procedure writing and seem to go out of their way to ensure real levels of standardization are never achieved.

They have a serious personality cult which is disturbing to say the least. They require their management, at every level, to read these corporate self help books. I personally have read parts of many, if not all, of the books they're required to read. They're awfully similar to religious texts. Anyone who has any sense can see through the crap these books spill out. The peeps sloth cult is dangerous. If you don't think, act, talk exactly like they do you are in the out group. They hate outside thinkers, they don't like ideas that intrude on their preconceived notions and hey have literally no business sense. Their renewable energy program only looks successful on paper as they take advantage of PTC's in order to secure obscenely low PPA's, unaffordable PPA's, do as to choke out the competition on the back of the taxpayer. I literally pay myself back some of my own paycheck because of the heavy government subsidies. Their model of infinite growth is the only way to stay popular. They manipulate their share holders in to believing company overhead is low when in reality it's obscenely high, they simply leave out a significant portion of overhead marked as other expenditures not related to the individual wind sites. A dubious practice at best. Then, they pretend that our technicians can perform more work than they're truly capable of. They under-staff by incredible margins. By about half that of industry standards and demand the same amount of work be done in a given day, all the while continuously trying to guilt you for putting the overtime on your time card. They harass you incessantly if you dare to take a sick day, or will never, ever accept your vacation plans forcing you always to have to change them. I've even seen, on multiple occasions, managers forcing employees to cancel pre-paid for vacations because of their inadequate planning and the company will NOT compensate for losses. I've seen managers force sick employees come to work because they employee couldn't afford to see a doctor, nor should he have to, when he knows he has a cold. Yet they damned zero injuries, rather, they just sincerely discourage you from reporting injuries by issuing reprisals for doing so. In fact, they often fire technicians for getting injured by doing nothing more than their job. As most jobs in the energy industry are physically intense, he'll a person can be injured by simply walking, but that's no matter to management. No, every injury has a person at fault. Period. Every thing is someone's fault and someone's head must be had!
    I once had a manager accuse me of lying about my car catching on fire, as a reason why I couldn't work on a SATURDAY. He forced me to send him pictures. He then accused me of setting the thing on fire myself in order to get out work for the day. I really wish I was making this up, but I'm not. The same said manager also regularly accused employees of faking illnesses, of intentionally losing or breaking tools, or any number of other things to get out of work. His actions have been continuously reported to upper management to no avail. This behavior isn't isolated though. Upper management regularly accuses employees of near conspiratorial type behavior as if they're tin-foil hat wearing paranoid types. This is not in jest.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside for management. Period. No excuses. If you aren't promoting from within you are failing, utterly and completely, as managers. You aren't preparing your employees adequately and you are selecting the proper employees to be groomed for said positions. Because of your incessant desire for outside managers, no employee sees NextEra as a true career prospect for personal growth. All who have even the slightest ambition already know they have to leave the company to move up and because of this they make no personal investment in the company.