NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NextEra Energy, Inc. President & CEO James L. Robo
James L. Robo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance actually means something to the managers here (in 22 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits and 401k program (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge depending on the business unit (in 38 reviews)

• Some departments have no work life balance and you work really long hours (in 22 reviews)

"Nice place to work, they show concern towards employees. Great company history."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Miami, FL

Pros

benefits
    pay
    life/work balance
    most of the management are well versed on their fields
    open communication

Cons

might be a bit difficult to move around departments if you are not very agreesively pursuing it on a constant basis

Advice to Management

it is easier if you start as your first job and you are young to actually get to move up as it takes time.

2. "great employment opportunity with a progressive company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Port Saint Lucie, FL

Pros

compensation, progressive industry, mutual respect from employees and managers

Cons

tight raises of 2% fall short in most cases- performance appraisals are too involved for the results they produce

Advice to Management

maintain the financial stability of the company while continuing in expansion into renewable energy

3. "Very satisfying"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

The healthcare benefits and bonuses are very good.

Cons

Career path opportunities are very few

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, many opportunities for advancement, wonderful people to work with; they believe in work,life and balance

Cons

No cons for me I love working here

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

5. "A very responsible company"

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good job security. The company changed it's name to Nextera Energy and it is a very diverse company. It is mostly broken down to Florida Power and Light, which is the regulated Florida division and Nextera Energy Resources which is unregulated power companies outside of Florida. Because of this, it seem to keep us on an even keel. The company has been very fair with me as far as benefits and pay. I started out on a lower scale after being laid off after the telecom bubble burts and took a huge pay cut. It took me 7 years to get back to what I was making, but on the other hand, when my wife had health issues and I needed to be closer to family, the company allowed me to relocate which was a god send. I work with some of the best people in the business and they are very fair about recognizing the people that make a difference vs. the personnel that don't, at least in my department. I plan to retire with this company.

Cons

Like all companies these days, Nextera tries to get the most out of its salaried employees and it is not unusual to work lots of overtime with no compensation other than your yearly bonus. Vacation consists of only two weeks to start with two floating holidays and 8 scheduled holiday days off. Our health insurance is on the expensive side and is Cigna which is not my first choice, but I am glad to have something.

Advice to Management

I just hope we keep going down the road and keep the company so diversified. I have noticed recently they we are questioning the cost of things more than previously. Although it seem very responsible and I like that we watch our costs, it seem strange that it comes directly from Upper Management rather than further down the food chain. The one thing that intrigues me about Lew Hay is how in the last 10 years, Nextera is more diversified and we are always looking at new ways to bring in revenue and maintain a good face to the world. I hope that Jim Robo continues to take us down the same road.

"Excellent"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Hallowell, ME
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Hallowell, ME

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An empowering / innovative company

Cons

I can think of no cons.

Advice to Management

I look forward to working with Nextera in the future

7. "Great potential Early to tell"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (401k and insurance are great)
    Room to become the best
    Rewarding long term

Cons

Management can be difficult and tend to limit creativity
    May need to stay in a position for a while before offered to move about

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and become part of the team, Taking the step away to keep your relationship only about business makes you less approachable and teammates see no point in sticking around.

8. "Nice Company"

Pros

Once you are in, you are set. Very easy to move laterally.

Cons

Not a lot of openings for people who do not already work for nextera

Advice to Management

Keep it up

9. "Make sure everyone knows how great you are and business units will fight each other to have you on their teams."

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Based on my experience in Information Management:
    Competitive pay package for Mid to Senior positions. Employees can participate in a 401K with a fair match, and are part of a pension at no cost. Many employees will also be offered a merit based bonus. If you work hard and people notice you will become very marketable and find ease in moving around; many positions offered internally. There are thousands of very smart people, and the company is very culturally diverse. NextEra has hundreds of different areas in which one can seek opportunities (Wind, IT, Acct, Nat Gas, Fracking, Nuclear, Power Generation, etc.) and many locations (Florida, Spain, Canada, New Hampshire, Houston, etc.).

Cons

The pay is based on average performers in the market, so it's not as competitive as in other companies. Upper management is at times disconnected from their employees. Some of the goals are set to levels that, while not impossible, are improvable to achieve.

Advice to Management

Engage in more activities with your employees. C-level management needs to be more in touch with each functional group, and not only when stuff hits the fan.

Keep up the low risk approach to new ventures and keep growing the low emissions portfolio.

"Couldn't be better"

Pros

As long as you are driven and work hard, you will be presented great opportunities within the company.

Cons

Even though the company is based in relaxing south Florida, the company is very fast paced and long hours are the expected.