NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
NextEra Energy, Inc. President & CEO James L. Robo
James L. Robo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance actually means something to the managers here (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits and 401k program (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge depending on the business unit (in 39 reviews)

• Some departments have no work life balance and you work really long hours (in 21 reviews)

"Work life balance is primary concern of many employees"

Current Employee - Software Analyst/Developer in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Software Analyst/Developer in Juno Beach, FL

Pros

Its a "decent" place to work. I've seen better and worse. People are friendly and do their best to make it a nice place to work. Many of the lower level bosses are great to work for. If you are in the right group you get to work with emerging technology and new things. The benefits are in line with other fortune 500 companies. If you are in the right job at the right level you get to travel to conferences and such. Peons are not afforded these opportunities. Pay is in line with other fortune 500 companies as well.

Cons

Work life balance is abysmal and only got worse during the economic downturn. Others have mentioned the "every other Friday program" - well, that got canceled. We were promised it would be revived by senior management. That was 1 1/2 years ago. Dress code is business casual; companies that seem to care more about their employees tend to adopt a less strict dress code. I've been to an Oracle interview and the VP was wearing a t-shirt and jeans along with everyone else. Too bad I don't want to live in California! I absolutely agree with the lack of long term planning and the "everything needs to be done right now" emergency mentality. This is what drives most of the work life balance issues. Impossible goals are set and expected to be followed - at your expense. The rush creates sloppiness which then leads to more problems tomorrow when upgrades are expected. Also, you never transfer anything to support. You create it and its your baby until you quit. So, the more productive you are, the more work you wind up with. This is not a sustainable method; I've seen product support follow a person even to other unrelated job roles when they took other roles in the company. Vacation = work from laptop. Sick = work from home. Nights = work from home. There are no good perks to working here either. Some companies provide tea/soda/snacks/coffee etc. Here you can expect water and coffee. In addition, you might be at a "satellite" office in the middle of no where. Fridge space for your lunch is at a premium in these offices (and first come first serve); I've been at 3 of them. No company vehicle (unless senior management). Here you can expect the gray wall no windows cube farm mentality in most of the offices. Career paths are non-existent for the most part unless you consider a career path "applying for another job title, getting an offer, taking that job at another location, and moving there at your own expense" a career path.

Advice to Management

First thing that needs to be addressed is work life balance (for real - not just presentations and talk but real action all the way to the lowest levels). Just because an employee is salaried doesn't mean said employee should be working 60+ hours/week month in and month out. Honestly, I wouldn't focus on pay; that is the one thing that seems halfway decent. The next thing I would address are working conditions. This is not the 60's, 70's, 80's or even 90's anymore. Our work spaces should reflect that. At many companies, weekend casual is ok for work and even for meeting vendors and performing interviews. Dress up is only required for meeting clients. This makes employees happy. Happy employees are productive employees. A word of warning...if things are still this bad when the economy begins to pick back up - be prepared for an exodus. Many retirement aged workers are already retiring and replacing them in some cases has been difficult. Imagine all of them retiring as the economy improves and then many others departing for other jobs at the same time. Its not a pretty picture. I really don't think it would take much to implement these changes. They are not impossible tasks.

"An OK place to learn but not terrible place to stay."

Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be given a lot of projects. So hopefully that gives you opportunities to learn.

Cons

I only worked for the power marketing division. So I will be only talking about the decision itself:

1. I feel and a few coworkers agree that in our division there seems to be an inner circle. If you are within the circle, then your voice will be heard, you will get more opportunities and easily promoted. However if you are the rest, which is the majority of us, you are treated as a second class employee.

2. NextEra power marketing is almost anti-technology. Never talk about new ideas in terms of systems and programming. They would be silently turned down.

3. A huge top-down culture. A project could take tons of junior people weeks. Then the mid level people would take a few hours to put up a presentation for the senior people who will make a final decision by looking at a single page of the presentation or somewhere outside of the window.

Advice to Management

Pay more to the people and schedule fewer meetings.

"All Politics"

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

The facilities are nice, and the benefits are good.

Cons

The senior person in the room is always right, and can treat others as badly as he/she likes without repercussion. The junior person had better just smile and take it.

Advice to Management

Start practicing your stated corporate values. Doing the Right Thing doesn't mean everyone else does what you want.

"3 years and already ready to leave"

Current Employee - PGD Engineer in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - PGD Engineer in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Working for a company that believes in clean/green energy. Since I support the use and growth of clean energy, I am proud to say that I work for a company that invests in clean energy.

2. The benefits are a little better than the benefits that I had at my previous employer (that was also an energy industry utility). The health insurance is more expensive compared to my previous employer.

3. The area and location is nice. It's a much healthier environment compared to where I used to live in Houston.

Cons

1. By far the biggest con is the workload. I have never been so busy, tired, and just exhausted in my 15 years of working in the energy sector. Management has no idea of how much they are burdening their employees with projects that frankly I don't see any value in.

2. Because of #1, it is difficult to work with others since everyone is tired, grumpy, and focused on their own unreasonable workload. This makes group projects especially difficult.

3. In my 15 years I have always been willing to work extra hours when needed to meet deadlines or for emergencies. However, working extra hours has always been the exception. And when I did work the extra hours, it was appreciated. At Nextera, the extra hours are the norm and is expected not appreciated. I am completely exhausted and the 2 weeks of vacation is nowhere near enough to make up for it.

4. The so-called subject matter experts here don't really know what they are doing. Seeking their advice usually leads to unnecessary roadblocks in projects you are assigned. I have actually found more and better advice by going to internet discussion boards for my technical questions.

Because of the above, after three years of working here, I am looking for other opportunities and will probably move back to Houston when my apartment lease is up in the spring.

Advice to Management

You don't hear this from your staff because they don't want to be fired but the majority of people working here are tired and waiting/looking for other opportunities. You really need to improve work-life balance here or you will see many others leave.

"Was lied to!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much here. It's the definition of a mirage:

1) An optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions.
         2) Something that appears real or possible but is not

Cons

I accepted a job offer at a lower level than what I was at my previous company on the promise that in 6 months they will review my performance and promote me. I didn't have an issue with this because I know my stuff and was assured this is standard operating procedure. Review came, my performance was excellent yet no promotion back to my previous level. What a waste!

Advice to Management

Get real!

"This company has lost its way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the clean energy business. Working here toughens you up for further challenges.

Cons

- Employees are robots with a number.
    - Are underpaid and overworked.
    - Constant and mindless pressure.
    - Lack of motivation to change for the better. Old habits die hard.
    - Not an employee centered organization.

Advice to Management

Too many things are wrong here. It's not an easy fix.

7. "Nextera"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employees Great Employees Great Employees

Cons

Horrible Senior Managment, wasteful spending, low salaries, long hours, dont recommend.

Advice to Management

You cant teach people to be honest! Stop screwing the FPL customers

"Transmission is like The Hotel California - you can never leave."

Current Employee - Transmission in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Transmission in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Renewable Energy, decent starting pay.

Cons

Transmission is definitely not the expertise to have as this company views it as strictly a cost center. Zero promotions during my time, workload absolutely impossible to keep up with, chronic understaffing, management always on a witch hunt, zero work/life balance, management takes credit for complex solutions and ignores the working level, management continuously lies about caring for employees, upward mobility, promotions, company values, trust, to only slam employees after stellar year with record results.

If you come here you honestly will never work harder in your life without any upside potential. Be prepared to be given a great sales pitch to hire on, but then management attitude is they have you trapped, because where else will you go in South Florida? Not uncommon to have conference calls weekends, 11:00 PM during the week and you better be available. Management themselves have too many projects and always want answers ASAP so that everyone scrambles for every waking hour to get the right answer. If time does not permit proper analysis for correct answer you better not be wrong or you will be looked upon as incompetent.

No strategy for future growth, so the thing to do is to look at everything with no increase in staffing levels. Gradually lowering bonuses and raises, again, where else will you go in South Florida?

Advice to Management

Nothing will help as engagement surveys completed and Transmission is not taken into account for engagement levels and any changes do not address specific issues in Transmission.

"Lack of respect with a focus on financial gains at the cost of work quality"

Current Employee - N Training Ops Instructor II in Seabrook, NH
    Current Employee - N Training Ops Instructor II in Seabrook, NH

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

9 hour day, 9 day 80 hour work cycle (every other Friday off)

Cons

Expensive healthcare; Management never had meeting as a group...poor communication; Very 'fraternity-like' atmosphere where everyone covered up others mistakes and retaliated against constructive criticism; Supervisors do not support employees and are only interested in their next position at the cost of department morale

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on cutting the bottom line... We know the price of natural gas has made nuclear less profitable, so accept that! Don't sacrifice quality and good people to try and achieve a profit that isn't realistic anymore. Your company is still making good money, if you slash employees, tighten up compensation and shrink budgets, the company will suffer in the long term.

"A rabbit hole without a shovel"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary I am sure there are great fellow employees somewhere just not in the department that I am in. Nice office and gym.

Cons

Manager's lack of support, lack of employee development follow through and general ignorance. Employee feedback obscure and sometimes just incorrect!
    After reading some of the reviews on here one that stuck out was “workplace bullying”. I never thought of what I experienced at Nextera was called that as it has never happened before to me at any place I have worked. If you want to work in a “high school” like culture than Nextera is for you. Things started out fine enough until I asked questions on how to do a process or where reports came from. Fellow employees were either too busy to help or gave the most common excuse that has the least common sense. “It would be faster for me to do it myself than to show you”. So much for transitioning roles or training. Then when reports were incorrect or incomplete, they would laugh about it but not show how to correct mistakes if any. Hardly an environment where employee development is encouraged. Manager’s feedback is obscure or sometimes completely incorrect at best yet they expect results. I was warned but didn’t believe what I was hearing. I should have read these reviews before applying to Nextera.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews on Glassdoor