NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

NextEra Energy, Inc. Reviews

Updated December 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance actually means something to the managers here (in 22 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits and 401k program (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge depending on the business unit (in 38 reviews)

• Some departments have no work life balance and you work really long hours (in 22 reviews)

1. "Training Analyst"

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

benefits and compensation. flexibility in scheduling

Cons

constant reorganization and downsizing within certain departments

2. "Outstanding Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Leader in Renewable Energy
    - One of the largest utilities in the US
    - Fantastic culture and leadership

Cons

No cons at NextEra Energy

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Accountant I"

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Advancement depends on who you know

4. "Business analyst"

Pros

Very good to learn and employee friendly

Cons

none till now, everything is good

5. "THE global energy leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely bright leaders, outstanding colleagues, sound growth and performance-oriented business strategy, solid prospects for career growth for most functions

Cons

Company is very lean by choice so everyone needs to be willing to give 110% every day

6. "Sr. Tax Analyst"

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great benefits and Pension plan. Great work life balance. Love Moments Cafe and it's reasonable lunch price. Love that the fitness center was in the same building.

Cons

Lack of communication from management. The collaborative workspace seem as a way to micro-manage employees. The work environment started to feel like public accounting.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining your current employees.

7. "Growing fast and making money"

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Making good money AND being a part of the renewables revolution

Cons

Has that "Large Company, Corporate" feel

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with lowest level employees and invest in the tools they require to perform their duties

8. "Director of Origination"

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Good working environment, people, and facilities.

Cons

IT is a bit dated.

Advice to Management

Company would be better served by keeping their HR people longer.

"Gas Infrastructure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial oil & gas business that is growing.
    Start-up feel with large company backing.
    Company is very committed to success.
    Lots of tools available to aid in career growth.
    Quality work is recognized.
    Fun team building events (non-profit involvement & happy hours).
    High collaboration.

Cons

High growth expectations...be prepared to do considerable work both in and out of scope.

Advice to Management

This is the most challenging, yet fun place I have ever worked at. Though in the moment it can be frustrating, in the long run it has only helped propel my career.

"Definitely think twice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo, IA

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Near a "major" city (Cedar Rapids,IA)
    -Two-year outages instead of every year
    -Most people are friendly and reasonable to work with
    -Supposedly has the support of a large, corporation (NextEra/FPL) with values that support the employee

Cons

-It did not take long at all to discover that the business model for this site is very illogical, it requires a low staffing in order to remain profitable and we are shouldered with a workload equivalent that is fit for two or more people.
    -Management oversight and accountability is lacking (my guess is because the management too is also over-burdened and can't keep their eyes on everything)
    -Processes that are documented and proceduralized are frequently violated, neglected, or ignorantly not followed. My observation is because most, if not all of us, don't have the time or resources to do many of our tasks adequately, safely, and/or within process. So when we demonstrate our successes/results to the senior leadership, they can blissfully conclude that we can do more with less(!!); but it is really just a baloney story because we have often obtained those successes through our detours from the proper process. And I dare to speculate that the accidents from our failures to adhere to the process has forced us to modify those procedures and processes as a corrective action(s), which makes the processes more stringent, thus we're in a feedback loop that has worsened our working conditions and our ability to follow those processes in the first place. Result: there's a greater incentive to deviate because our workload and deadlines have not eased but our conditions have become more stringent. What is wrong with this picture?
    -There has been a lot of turnover in my department and in other departments in the past 2 years, lots of pain when having to compensate for the vacancies even during the times when we were fully staffed, "fully staffed" was still understaffed.
    -Many people have retired or transferred recently and over the last few years because they got burned out, sick of their management (bad managing skills, bad person skills, created a toxic environment), or both.
    -Health plan is not good. It's based on protecting you for catastrophic injury or conditions, it does very little in helping you on lower levels of care, like preventative or acute care. All plan options are expensive, which includes the deductibles and co-payments, which all are significantly high for the money you're paying and the low level of care you get.
    -The matching for 401k goes by 100% up to 3% of salary, 50% for the next 1.5%, and 25% for another 1.5%. 0% beyond that. I think there are annual matching limits too, but can't recall. Past employers would be 100% matching for a lot more than that.
    -I have a general sentiment that the company is cheap, which is reinforced by the plant's business model, and the company seems that they're just overall struggling. I've noticed that the stock price is about $140 these days (mid 2017) and they have a $3.96 annual dividend compared to the big competitor (Exelon at about $35/share and $1 dividend). NextEra had $16bn in gross income and $3bn in net profits, where all of it went to dividends, Exelon had $30bn and $1.1bn, respectfully, which tells me that they spent almost all of their money for the company and workers. So who is being helped here at NextEra, employees or investors? Why can't NextEra fork out more money for their people? Did I make a mistake to come here?

Advice to Management

-If the business model is really as tight as mentioned in the "cons", then wake up and smell the coffee, the plant cannot be ran in a practical manner. Unless the model is merely a story that the plant CAN be ran profitably with more people being able to do the work, which spells deeper problems than what’s mentioned, then get more people! We are neither robots nor horses. I didn't sign up to get burned out, compromise my work-life balance, or marry my job and I’m not sorry if my view of a job is one without so much stress and pressure that one frequently loses sleep, is unable to spend time with family, and resenting the job because it resembles more of exploitation and is enshrouded in lame buzz words like “drive”, “pace”, and employee “dedication”. We’re not dumb; we’re just hostage to the situation and we can’t get a job the way we can order a pizza.
    -Whenever you hire someone, it is a bad strategy and business planning to have the new hire come on board without PROPER turn-over from the predecessor. Current practice has the new hires come in right as the predecessor is walking out the door (or has already left). There may be reasons that the process is set up this way but they do not justify the lack of correctness with sound business strategy and the RESPECT to the new hires who are on-boarding to not have this familiarization to their role. If senior management agrees with me that this is not proper, well, this is exactly what occurs at DAEC in great frequency.
    -Stop being so cheap and invest more in the workers! Geeze, Exelon made over $30bn last year and they reinvested almost all of that for the company and the workers. NextEra made only about half as much money and you decided to give three times as much to your investors? I see where the love is.