NextGen America Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

NextGen America Reviews

Updated Oct 2, 2019

2.7
NextGen America CEO Tom Steyer (no image)
Tom Steyer
Pros
  • "Good pay, important work, dedicated hard working employees(in 9 reviews)

• "Great experience in organizing political campaigns(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Factoring in long hours, they really don't pay much(in 6 reviews)

• "Extreme working hours, poor self-care, culture of overwork, disrespect of college campuses(in 4 reviews)

1. "Rising Fellowship"

I have been working at NextGen America for less than a year

Pros

Great leadership and support for fellows. Training is thorough but redundant

Cons

lack of attention to detail / person to person contact

Advice to Management

Tiered system of fellows - some need more supervision and training, some can do it on their own

NextGen America2018-04-03
  2. "Will never pay you for what you are worth"

Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at NextGen America part-time

Pros

Great for college students who needs quick money!

Cons

Organizing work, so it will never pay you what you are actually worth.

NextGen America2019-10-03
  3. "A great opportunity"

Current Employee - Community Organizer

I have been working at NextGen America full-time for less than a year

Pros

A fast pace environment where you can make a real impact.

Cons

Extremely labor intensive. There are often long hot days spent out in the field canvassing, tabling and organizing

NextGen America2019-09-25
  4. "Big promises, little delivery"

Former Employee - Organizer

I worked at NextGen America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling at times

Cons

Consistently work more than 40 hours per week, more like 50 to 60. During campaign ramp up you will work 90 hours a week. Very poor support systems (HR department is tiny).

NextGen America2019-09-13
  5. "It was fine until the end"

Former Employee - Deputy Campus Organizer

I worked at NextGen America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Got some great experience during the whole process

Cons

Lots of turnover. Strong chance they will fire you after you finish a cycle with them

Advice to Management

Stop firing people

NextGen America2019-08-30
  6. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Organizer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at NextGen America full-time for less than a year

Pros

This could be a great way to start an organizing career if management were more honest.

Cons

They hired me, let me quit my job, sent me a link to activate my new next gen email, then they rescinded the offer the next day. They will lie to you. They told me the position was no longer available then posted it again a couple days later. Their North Carolina staff is unprofessional and I encourage everyone to find another job. Now I don’t have either job, I’ve lost weeks of wages and they just don’t care.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to new hires. Be clear about what’s happening. Send me a check for lost wages.

NextGen America2019-09-10
  7. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Fellow in Fairfax, VA

I worked at NextGen America part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun environment working with people our age - Good pay - Flexible with school schedule - good experience for resume

Cons

- the job can get really boring at points - hard to make quotas sometimes

Advice to Management

If you dont make quotas management will be very hard on you

NextGen America2019-07-18
  8. "Does not practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Field Organizer

I worked at NextGen America full-time

Pros

Good pay Work Remotely

Cons

Insane work hours and high expectations to work more hours than what is contractually expected, really bad communication from management, expects you to be sneaky around campus and university policies.

Advice to Management

Follow the rules of campus' to have better relationships with the schools.

NextGen America2019-07-08

"destructive management"

Former Employee - Organizing Director

I worked at NextGen America full-time for less than a year

Pros

some perks like reimbursements, but that should be a given anyways

Cons

management is self-serving and behaves in ways that are destructive to staff. they ignore concerns from staff and perpetuate a toxic and discriminatory work environment. lack of effective strategy.

NextGen America2019-07-23

"A catastrophe"

Current Employee - Staff

I have been working at NextGen America full-time

Pros

I was warned about working here and I didn't listen. On a positive note, I understand how these issue based campaigns operate and I have no desire in working another campaign ever again.

Cons

The whole organization is a disaster. I was told I was going to be working non-traditional hours, but I was never told I was going to be working 90+ hours a week with no days off. Instead of providing solutions, we've been told we are not working hard enough. They've even had the audacity to compare us to other states that have been successful in the past and use them as a success example, as if our states were... exactly the same. After I was hired, I noticed the organization is not as diverse as they claim to be. HQ leadership is mostly white. Same thing with state leadership. The main directors of the youth program in SF lack experience and knowledge about the states they lead, and somehow they think they can occasionally join our meetings and educate us on how to organize the cities we perfectly know. It is not surprising since the directors went from managing one state to being responsible for half the states in the program, including states they were completely unfamiliar with. At the end of the day, it is all about numbers, they don't care much about working conditions as long as they have good stories and pictures to share on social media. There is so much going on behind the scenes but everyone is so afraid to say anything. We are all tired, overworked, and disappointed. We believe in the mission of the organization and we want to make sure we live up to those values, but if we don't have the support from our main leaders then nothing is going to change. Many of us joined NextGen because we genuinely care and are affected by several issues. Don't forget many folks belong to marginalized groups and the organization has no shame in taking advantage of that and guilt tripping employees to work even harder. Some people are leaving the organization, but many of us can't afford to do it because there aren't that many jobs where we live. In short, NextGen America needs to take a little break from fighting for progressive values, own their mistakes and implement those values in the workplace. Allow your employees to unionize. As of right now you're not the only "progressive" organization dealing with unionization. The campaign/grassroots world has normalized this fast-paced/abusive environment, but times are changing and we are no longer accepting these conditions. Since NextGen loves to take all the credit, it would be good press to announce the #youthvote is the first and largest youth program in the nation to unionize. Isn't the sound of that lovely?

Advice to Management

You should have told us from the beginning this movement was all about Steyer running for President. Stop lying and withholding information from us.

NextGen America2019-07-10