NextGen America "nextgen" Reviews | Glassdoor

NextGen America Employee Reviews about "nextgen"

Updated Jul 10, 2019

2.8
NextGen America Founder, President, Business leader  and Philanthropist Tom Steyer (no image)
Tom Steyer
Pros
  • "Good pay, important work, dedicated hard working employees(in 9 reviews)

• "They pay very well for an organizing job(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Factoring in long hours, they really don't pay much(in 7 reviews)

• "If you work for NextGen, you should know that you have to be deeply committed to the work(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "nextgen"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Field Organizer

I worked at NextGen America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at NextGen allows you to use your creative talents to make a difference in the community. The culture is also inclusive; it's understood that a person from just about any background can be effective at NextGen. NextGen's culture is also sensitive about matters diversity, and colleagues here are friendly and kind with one another.

Cons

There's very little time off, and you have to be in an engaged state of mind in order to be effective. If you work for NextGen, you should know that you have to be deeply committed to the work.

NextGen America2019-02-11

"A catastrophe"

Current Employee - Staff

I have been working at NextGen America full-time

Pros

I was warned about working here and I didn't listen. On a positive note, I understand how these issue based campaigns operate and I have no desire in working another campaign ever again.

Cons

The whole organization is a disaster. I was told I was going to be working non-traditional hours, but I was never told I was going to be working 90+ hours a week with no days off. Instead of providing solutions, we've been told we are not working hard enough. They've even had the audacity to compare us to other states that have been successful in the past and use them as a success example, as if our states were exactly the same. After I was hired, I noticed the organization is not as diverse as they claim to be. HQ leadership is mostly white. Same thing with state leadership. The main directors of the youth program in SF lack experience and knowledge about the states they lead, and somehow they think they can occasionally join our meetings and educate us on how to organize the cities we perfectly know. It is not surprising since the directors went from managing one state to being responsible for half the states in the program, including states they were completely unfamiliar with. At the end of the day, it is all about numbers, they don't care much about working conditions as long as they have good stories and pictures to share on social media. There is so much going on behind the scenes but everyone is so afraid to say anything. We are all tired, overworked, and disappointed. We believe in the mission of the organization and we want to make sure we live up to those values, but if we don't have the support from our main leaders then nothing is going to change. Many of us joined NextGen because we genuinely care and are affected by several issues. Don't forget many folks belong to marginalized groups and the organization has no shame in taking advantage of that and guilt tripping employees to work even harder. Some people are leaving the organization, but many of us can't afford to do it because there aren't that many jobs where we live. In short, NextGen America needs to take a little break from fighting for progressive values, own their mistakes and implement those values in the workplace. Allow your employees to unionize. As of right now you're not the only "progressive" organization dealing with unionization. The campaign/grassroots world has normalized this fast-paced/abusive environment, but times are changing and we are no longer accepting these conditions. Since NextGen loves to take all the credit, it would be good press to announce the #youthvote is the first and largest youth program in the nation to unionize. Isn't the sound of that lovely?

NextGen America2019-07-10
  3. "Great grassroots organization"

Former Contractor - Fellow in Lansing, MI

I worked at NextGen America for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, Strong organizational vision, plenty of resources and dynamic work environment

Cons

Stressful environment that rewards long hours and requires lot's of flexibility. BE sure to manage your work/life balance while doing the type of political organizing nextgen does

NextGen America2018-11-26
  4. "Nextgen will Nextgen"

Former Employee - NextGen PA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NextGen America full-time for less than a year

Pros

- money being given to passionate, young justice-driven organizers to do a doable thing will always be a good thing so keep doing that - focus on civic engagement and millennial voter turnout = very good for our future :)

Cons

- lofty goals and not much sustainable long-term organizing tactics taught - Is Nextgen REALLY an environmental org? really??? Tom Steyer making a fortune off of hedge fund manager to questionable sources of "non-renewable" energy... then having a change of heart... either way, if he's supporting young people and also climate justice then it's not such a bad thing - leadership/peoples ops needs cultural sensitivity and POC training asap, someone prioritize this (not naming who, but 'problematic' organizers were almost majority POC... this is criticism aimed at Field Directors and RFDs who probably need a reality check of their own personal sense of racism) - WORK LIFE BALANCE: You cannot stress self care and expect subordinate employees to work ridiculous hours thinking that their "young passionate energy" will somehow make up for little sleep, personal time, and even food... don't you love when someone tell you that they care but you know that they don't really care - yeah, it's like that

NextGen America2018-11-19

"NextGen PA"

I have been working at NextGen America full-time

Pros

At the end of the day, it's fulfilling work. It's great to know that you've helped a large number of people register to vote and get involved (maybe for the first time) in the political process/activism. Secondly, there are many wonderful people who work here. You'll likely enjoy your coworkers--everyone cares a lot. The pay is well above average because NextGen is so well funded.

Cons

In the 2018 campaign, things were chaotic. Management rolled out new objectives and tactics with no warning, and organizers were expected to change gears at the drop of a hat to meet new goals. For most organizers in PA, voter registration goals were entirely unattainable. One reason is that NextGen systematically ruins relationships with campuses across the state. New organizers are told to sneak around campus, get into dorms, and generally "act scrappy" to register as many students as possible. This is great in the short term, but the organization is now banned from a number of colleges across the state. In addition, NextGen uses a lot of the "self care" language, but usually expects organizers to work 7 days a week, with mandatory calls at 9am and 8:30 pm. After a while, the strain wears people down.

NextGen America2018-10-04

"Rising Fellow"

Current Employee - Fellow

I have been working at NextGen America part-time for less than a year

Pros

good $$$ working for a good cause

Cons

as a fellow you are taken advantage off. I have worked as a fellow since May/June, and as the fall semester started pay was cut in half and hours were supposed to also be cut in half. We signed a contract that said 10-12 hours a week however state staff requires to work everyday. Fellows are students and the full time staff lacks to recognize the other commitments we have. I find myself expected to work at least 20 hrs a week on top of all my other school commitments, and without making a living wage. Fortunately I have the support so i dont need to work a second job, but if I didn't I would need a second job however NextGens expectations do not leave room for such. Additionally, there is a strong advocacy for self care, but I have found my fellow fellows and organizers have all been struggling with no ability to take a breather. NextGen America does not understand the needs of its employees and pushes its employees until they completely wear out.

NextGen America2018-09-06
  7. "A Great Place with a Great Mission"

in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NextGen America for less than a year

Pros

Awesome place to work! Very fast paced, but very rewarding at the same time. I really enjoyed working at NextGen - I met some incredible people and was able to experience a unique work environment.

Cons

Career opportunities are slim. Somewhat of a given however due to the fact that NextGen follows a political cycle.

NextGen America2016-12-29

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews