NextGen Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
NextGen Healthcare President and CEO Rusty Frantz
Rusty Frantz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home options (2 per month mandatory)" (in 33 reviews)

• "Work life balance, Learning, Office Timings" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Noticeable favoritism and lack of standardized HR/org roles & positions contributes to a good old boy experience with upper management" (in 24 reviews)

• "No room for growth at most department" (in 7 reviews)

"Looking forward to the future"

Current Employee - Account Management in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Irvine, CA

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to develop skill set; engage with clients. Teams are supportive and allow for flexibility after building trust.

Cons

We're beginning to work better together and collaborate more. I look forward to more direction from my supervisor.

Advice to Management

We can't wait for the next phase of growth!

2. "Give it a chance"

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

There are a ton of pros and I am going to do my best to highlight a few.
    1) Learned everything I know now from NG: From someone who started with NextGen right out of college, it was more than I could ask for. I started from the Support, or as many people here (or at NG) refer to as the "bottom". There were many challenges and without any prior real world experience, it was a bit challenging at first. Learning the application, managing the workload, helping clients, etc.. BUT, the culture and the people there were AMAZING. Everyone tried to help. NONE left you hanging. Yes the situation got tense sometime, but everyone was so great.
    2) Many career opportunities to move up: Support was great and I felt that I could contribute more to NG and to my career. So I applied for a position in Development.
    I got the job and it was the best thing that ever happened to my career. So no, none holds you down and doesn't want your career to progress.
    I learned so much in so little time, that when I look back I truly regret leaving NG. No one has ever said "No, I cant do so" whenever I requested help. All I heard was "Sure, drag a chair. Let me show you". I cannot thank that person enough for all that knowledge that they gifted me.
    3) Many perks such as Tuition Assistance, flexible hours, employee discounts, etc.
    4) Occasional free food.
    5) A gym.
    6) Newly renovated building.
    And so much more that I can go on and on.

I have read these reviews for the last 3 years, while I was still at NG and when I left the company. They never change. There's always some who is mad about their current or their previous experience with NG. Everyone here who gives negative feedback, is/was the perfect employee. No, that is not true at all.
    Please read further into the cons section.

Cons

1) Negative minded people: These people go cube to cube, water cooler to water cooler, kitchen to kitchen and spread rumors based on what dream they had a night before. While their create, negative, free-company-provided-coffee-mind, fuels more rumors on how the company is going to get sold and how doomsday is coming, they spend hours talking about imaginary issues rather than spending time solving complex problems which face NG on daily basis.
    2) A lot of people do not want to do any work: Yes, there were lay offs. Lay offs of people who spend hours entertaining themselves into the World Wide Web. Lay offs of people who refuse to do ANY work assigned to them. Lay offs of people who always complain. Yes, those people were laid off. So if you are one of these people, be afraid. Be very afraid.
    3) Technology needs up to date improvement and it needs it quickly. A lot of great work has been done, but more needs to be done.

Advice to Management

There is an old saying from where I am from: "Dogs can keep barking, the caravan keeps going".

"Good People, Good Benefits"

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

Good people to work with
    Good benefits packages are available

Cons

Some difficult managers
    Rough work/life balance depending on department
    Tough to move up/progress career
    Low starting salaries
    Company definitely has "favorites" - although they claim the team gets credit, it will likely be your manager/director getting the praise

Advice to Management

You never recognize the folks in the weeds making you look good. Saying "thanks" 4 times a year on quarterly town halls isn't enough. Think you appreciate them enough? Then cut back on your 40% annual bonus and give your real workers more than 2%.

"Medical Billing Specialist"

Former Employee - Certified Professional C in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Professional C in Irvine, CA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

multi speciality billing and coding experience

Cons

very little opportunities for advancement

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product. The employees are skilled and very fun to work with.

Cons

Top down leadership has changed. Very unstable environment. Contradictory behaviors vs. message being delivered to employees.

Advice to Management

value your employees and treat them as vital members of the organization rather than just an easily replaceable cog in a wheel.

6. "Getting Better, Renewed Focus (Find your own opportunities for advancement)"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very strong and renewed focus on clients that past few years with new executive team. There now seems to be some advancement opportunity for individuals with a strong work ethic and skills that are transferable to alternate departments that are experiencing growth if yours is not. Be willing to take a leap into another dept. as well as initiating the search for opportunities yourself. Do not rely on your management to find the growth opportunity for you.

Cons

One criticism that I can say that I have is that low level managers seem to be stretched thin while the executive team, including directors, vps, etc. continues to be bolstered. I believe it would be beneficial to add an assistant manager level position in some departments to help even out the workload for management and to balance out the contact with employees.

Advice to Management

Please continue to accept criticism and advice from employees on the front lines, speaking to and advising clients each day. Simplify the IDP (individual development plans) and provide a more consistent way for those at the company to pull themselves up through the ranks without being held back by department.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and good co-workers.

Cons

Hired a slew of account managers to massage the higher-ups at clients sights while adding little real value. Allowed the support staff to shrink, because of the salary expenditures for the AM's, to the point we cannot provide the service the clients had become used to when the staffing was at an appropriate level.

Advice to Management

Bring the support staff back to previous levels so that the front line workers can actually help our clients.

8. "software developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company, good culture, okay technologies

Cons

nothing to learn okay technologies, old windows

9. "Financial Analyst"

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

Improving culture and nice work environment

Cons

Somewhat hierarchical and dry culture

Advice to Management

Continue to hire young, hungry candidates

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free cake every month
    Analysts under your management

Cons

Stay far away from this company. You will be told lies over and over and over again. Management always musters up an excuse as to why you cannot progress. You cannot move around internally due to people leaving Nextgen for better employment, teams are already short staffed. All management cares about is metrics metrics and you guessed it metrics. They do not care about their employees, not hitting your numbers youre gone. Whether youre a fresh grad or a veteran in IT, look elsewhere. Youll be overworked, and under compensated. The CSuite gives an update a few times a year and makes it seem like everything is good and the clients are happy. WRONG, people are leaving at a rapid rate, management does not know what it is doing. Clients are complaining left and right. Do yourself a favir and read the negative reviews, that will give you a better view as to what employment at Nextgen is like.

Advice to Management

Read your reviews, provide training to your management. Stop holding back employees that should be at a much higher level. Most importantly stop lying to us.