NextGen Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

NextGen Healthcare President and CEO Rusty Frantz
Rusty Frantz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little recognition among the company from upper management/VP's (in 21 reviews)

• A lot of overpaid long term employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

The work is interesting, there are tons of great people that work here and the company is very realistic when it comes to telecommuting.

Cons

Communicating changes, big and small, within the organization is usually not well managed. It's getting better and I genuinely hope it continues.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in the loop as much as you can. It really helps build confidence at every level.

"Just not so sure anymore..last 5 years have been tough"

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

The people at NextGen are the absolute best! You will not find a better group of people to work with.

Cons

Too top heavy, lots of management changes and senior level executives are too far removed. There have been layoffs consistently for the last 4 years. They reorganized multiple times, every time new mgt comes in, we do what we did 3 years ago and then switch back and forth.

"Boring"

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low cost insurance and work from home. Free snacks, good pay

Cons

Boring work. Over staffed. Lots of sitting around. Silo work teams.

Advice to Management

Change format of newsletter.

"Change is a coming."

Current Employee - Payment Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Payment Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed office environment. Flexible Monday - Friday working hours. Paid day off to be used the month of your birthday.

Cons

Impossible to grow, and develop. Raises are not guarenteed and 2% of your yearly salary max.

Advice to Management

Each department needs to mirror one another in regards to employee accountability standards. Those who perform less, are not capable of maintaining the same level of dedication to their accounts, our cannot retain information should be placed on employee improvement plans OR moved to another department where they are better suited.

"Don't bother"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Horsham, PA

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Occasional free food and occasional work from home. Other than that, not a lot. The tech is old, to say the least.

Cons

Politics are horrific and the employees are not treated well. You can work as hard as you'd like, but if your boss decides he doesn't like you, you're out of luck. The physical working environment is awful. Benefits are expensive and laughable. Senior management doesn't seem to have a clue about where the company is going.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stock holder "value" isn't a thing anymore. Also, continuing to treat your employees as replaceable cogs and putting in a huge number of SVPs while not bothering to give people raises isn't going to win you any friends.

"Beware layoffs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in the Mirth division in engineering, which was great without interference from NextGen higher-ups. Mirth lower & mid management I worked with were excellent and unmatched, along with people, culture, support. Respectful of all employees.

Cons

(All of these about NextGen, not about the Mirth group)
    - NextGen upper management forced changes of our (more successful than their) processes... the word "alignment" still makes me instantly angry
    - Upper management created adversarial, not collaborative relationship with engineers
    - Forced us to downgrade internal technologies to be more compatible with theirs
    - Froze promotions, new hires, and replacements despite some teams seriously understaffed
    - Was recommended for a promotion by direct manager months before quitting late 2016, it was clear it would never happen
    - Several rounds of layoffs, second one after promising during the first there wouldn't be any more
    - I don't trust that NextGen will turn itself around, when it refuses or is painfully slow to modernize or innovate

Advice to Management

- People, or at least engineers don't like mandatory stupid company-wide "team-building" exercises, they're a waste of time and patronizing - if someone doesn't want to participate, don't make them
    - Engineers get really mad when you downgrade or drastically change what they use (ex. streamlined Google tools -> Microsoft Outlook & OneDrive) or otherwise make their work clunkier or slower
    - Austerity only makes it harder to keep up with the market esp. long term
    - When you force UNIX-worshipping engineers to use Microsoft products you make them want to leave forever

"Avoid at all cost."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

Majority of the supporting staff were friendly and nice.

Cons

Avoid at all cost! Team Leader and immediate manager are very immature. Very click-ish. I question their knowledge base. Could never answer my questions or direct me to where I could find the answers I am seeking.

Advice to Management

I came from a corporate background among several companies for the past 15 years prior to my employment here. My advice to management especially to the team leader is very basic. GROW UP and act professional. Trying to befriend you then stab you in the back is very childish. Saw this happening to established employees and new recruits before she set her eyes on me and did the same. I guess it was all about job security for her.

"worker"

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

The set up is nice in the office. Facility has nice machines.

Cons

Not a well ran business.

9. "Great Experience at NextGen QSI"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
    Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, work and life balance

Cons

Mandatory overtime, hiring practices of other employees

"Money hungry with no concern for long term employees who are over worked"

Former Employee - EDI Enrollment Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - EDI Enrollment Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits nothing more. Crappy company. DO NOT WORK HERE!! DO NOT WORK HERE!! DO NOT WORK HERE!! DO NOT WORK HERE!! DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Cons

The company I worked for was bought out by Nextgen 2 years ago. Starting in February 2017 our department manager was let go as his position was a "duplicate". We were told not to worry no other jobs were at stake. May 2017 we had people come into town and train us on the Nextgen software. The new software was crap and worked horribly with out current clients. The way we handled client accounts was not taken into consideration and a lot of adjustments had to be made and still are I'm sure! During the new training I asked how it applied to my position and was told surprise your position is changing. Over the next 2 months I was thrown into training for my new position. The person training me out of respect had her own clients to take care of and did not have adequate time to properly train. Continuing throughout the last 2 months I was put through what I call a fraternity hazing! I was scrutinized, lies were made up about me , false reports were supposedly made regarding my phone activity.
    With all the false allegations I was eventually let go due to my "performance" all though my trainer had reported I was doing a great job!!

Advice to Management

Stop being money hungry!! Keep the loyal, hard working, higher paid employees in Kansas City, Missouri who are busting their butts with no respect from corporate!!! Stop letting go of higher rate hourly employees and piling more work on everyone else!! The entire office wants to quit!! You are mental breaking everyone down!! I think that is your goal, to break everyone down to the point where they quit so you don't have to pay unemployment or severance packages!!! Also note this location only renewed the office lease for the next 6 months. Seems like they don't want the Kansas City, MO office to stay long.