NextGen Healthcare "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

NextGen Healthcare Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 12 Nov 2019

2.9
NextGen Healthcare CEO Rusty Frantz
Rusty Frantz
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"NextGen can Work"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits and on some salaries-

Cons

Top heavy in upper management and lack of communication big gap between management level and staff under them

Advice to Management

Better communication between staff this as always been a problem-when advancing people look at their skills not who they know

NextGen Healthcare2019-03-11

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Had a great direct manager.

Cons

Different departments and teams do not work well with each other. Upper management often do not listen to advice or understand how each team functions.

NextGen Healthcare2019-11-13

"On the downhill-jobs going to India-stay away"

Former Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vacation Days were fair-flex time-most co-workers were great to work with

Cons

Upper Management is there to clean house (they were brought in by their former manager)-tension in office you can cut with a knife-most good people have left or set up by some to be let go. Raises are no more than 2%. Reviews and training are a joke. It's all in who you know -no truth on floor or from management.

Advice to Management

Remember someday you will be looking for a job.

NextGen Healthcare2019-10-16

"Was a great place to work until they shut down and gutted a lot of offices"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance was great. My direct manager was amazing. The benefits were great as well.

Cons

The pay is not as competitive for the area we worked in. The executives have gutted and shut down at least one whole office(s) and recently moved their entire R&D division overseas. The people they let go weren't just new or low performance employees but ones vital to the company some with over 20 years of experience. Upper management doesn't care about the end user experience in their products any longer either.... From contacts that are still there most complain about things not getting done from their overseas counterparts and customers are starting to notice the difference. Until 2019 this was the best place to work for. Now I'd swing a wide berth.

Advice to Management

Layoffs are sometimes inevitable, but when the CEO is on an a company wide meeting and says they are only doing it to raise their bottom line in the same sentence as financially they are growing then you have lost the plot.

NextGen Healthcare2019-08-02

"Horrible and Useless Upper Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Horsham, PA

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None - This is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Horrible company with morons in upper management, they need the developers and testers to tell them what to do, yet they get the large salaries and huge bonus. Once they drain every ounce from the workers they do a massive layoff of over 100 people and move their jobs to India.

Advice to Management

Look at your dozens of Director's and VPs you have, fire them all as they are useless. Stop laying off people with 10, 15, 20+ years experience that helped build the company and replacing them with people in India.

NextGen Healthcare2019-07-26

"Response from 'Give it a chance'"

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

What was said before on the previous review.

Cons

Addressing this reply to the person claiming to have lost their position due to job outsourcing: Dear sir/mam, Though I was not employed with NG for 10+ years, I was there long enough to witness its evolution. FYI, I am not a paid advertisement nor paid by anyone to write these reviews. Well, 5 years ago, it took years for defects to be resolved. During this time (and before) employees like yourself were... awarded cruise trips to the Caribbean islands. Gifted $300 sunglasses. Quarterly bonuses exceeding $3000. However defects, problems, workflow issues, and many crucial problems were ignored and not touched upon simply because they were too complex. Client upgrades took DAYS to finish and whenever they were finished, they introduced many new bugs. If clients were lucky, or if they "cried out loud" some of these problems would be resolved. This kept going and going and going... Company was spending money on its employees, like yourself, to make sure they are being awarded extra for their hard work. But for some reason client satisfaction scores were decreasing quickly and NG employees like yourself didnt seem to care. You and your teams delivered buggy software and playing the finger pointing game with QA. Defects still took YEARS to resolve. Until now... Once the upper management team realized these issues, they took action quickly. This included cutting bonuses, unnecessary spending, and even lay offs. The Bangalore office was revamped to bring 24/7 client support and development. They did not lay off employees simply because jobs were given to the India office. It wasn't even a lay off, but (as harsh as this may sound) a house clean of people who did not make this company who it is today, but broke this company to what it is today. They now have top-notch support and development. Updates delivered quarterly. Upgrade process that takes MINUTES. And many more. I am truly sorry you might have lost your position. No one should ever have to go through that. But, these are public reviews that many people will read. Some of them being fresh graduates with many new ideas and talents. This is not an evil company who wants to ruin your career. You and I know people who very happily still work at NG. So, give it a chance.

Advice to Management

Same as what was said before

NextGen Healthcare2018-11-08

"Heatbreaking"

Current Employee - Scared for My Job in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's only a paycheck at this point.

Cons

The new upper management is tearing what used to be a great company apart. Major layoffs of seasoned employees to compensate for (so called) loss of business. Support roles are being sent off shore in droves.

Advice to Management

You're losing old business because we used to care about or clients. They're no longer priority so they're leaving. You may have a new business model in your sites, but making the clients work harder for their revenue because you don't have the qualified staff to do it anymore is not going to make you a better company. New clients will get tired of your screwed up methodology too.

NextGen Healthcare2018-09-29

""Run""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The vacation policy is good.

Cons

I worked at Nextgen for over 10 years. I absolutely loved my job at one point and I was good at it. There has been several management changes over the past 7 years the employees can't even keep up. The CEO continually is talking about how well Nextgen is doing as an organization. I have yet to see any improvements just lay offs. The clients they currently have are not getting the attention they need which is... why they are losing them at a rapid pace. You have people in upper management positions that shouldn't be. When major concerns regarding accounts are brought to the attention of upper management they go in one ear and out the other. I can honestly say after 10 plus years with this organization being laid off was a gift.

Advice to Management

Way to many Chiefs and not enough Indians!!!!

NextGen Healthcare2018-09-18

"Nice People, Sky is Falling Mentality"

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time

Pros

Lots of nice & smart industry people; super loyal customer base

Cons

Culture of fear prevails due to regular resource actions, which are done quite abruptly, lacking compassion or friendliness. Operations team suffers from "Sky is Falling" syndrome - often overreacting and unnecessarily stirring up anxieties. Noticeable favoritism and lack of standardized HR/org roles & positions contributes to a good old boy experience with upper management.

Advice to Management

Standardize HR roles and titles so reporting lines are consistent. Adopt more long term visionary thinking instead of quarter reactionary thinking.

NextGen Healthcare2018-06-13

"Beware layoffs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at NextGen Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked in the Mirth division in engineering, which was great without interference from NextGen higher-ups. Mirth lower & mid management I worked with were excellent and unmatched, along with people, culture, support. Respectful of all employees.

Cons

(All of these about NextGen, not about the Mirth group) - NextGen upper management forced changes of our (more successful than their) processes... the word "alignment" still makes me instantly angry - Upper management created adversarial, not collaborative relationship with engineers - Forced us to downgrade internal technologies to be more compatible with theirs - Froze promotions, new hires, and replacements... despite some teams seriously understaffed - Was recommended for a promotion by direct manager months before quitting late 2016, it was clear it would never happen - Several rounds of layoffs, second one after promising during the first there wouldn't be any more - I don't trust that NextGen will turn itself around, when it refuses or is painfully slow to modernize or innovate

Advice to Management

- People, or at least engineers don't like mandatory stupid company-wide "team-building" exercises, they're a waste of time and patronizing - if someone doesn't want to participate, don't make them - Engineers get really mad when you downgrade or drastically change what they use (ex. streamlined Google tools -> Microsoft Outlook & OneDrive) or otherwise make their work clunkier or slower - Austerity only makes it... harder to keep up with the market esp. long term - When you force UNIX-worshipping engineers to use Microsoft products you make them want to leave forever

NextGen Healthcare2017-07-18