NextWave Wireless Reviews | Glassdoor

NextWave Wireless Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "some tidbits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

it is a visionary company
    good people to work with smart and quick
    cutting edge tech areas
    location
    fast paced

Cons

poor management
    no budget control
    heavy at top
    decision making was poor and didn't know how it was done
    no more things to mention

Advice to Management

no real feedbac. the cons should be sufficient input it's a moot point anyway as the company major areas are shut down

2. "great while it lasted"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great working environment

Cons

Bad direction from up top. Grew too fast and that may have caused their downfall

Advice to Management

Had a great thing going but the plan was poorly exectuted

3. "NextWave - now ExWave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

We worked on cutting edge technology, WiMAX which was nice and we were truly a global company. Best perk was fully paid health insurance for employees and their families.

Cons

Huge management team. Spend too much time on acquiring companies that were'nt aligned with core business and not having focus around a core business.

Advice to Management

For such a huge management team, decisions could not get made at any level other than the CEO. Next time, delegate some decision making.

5. "NextWave was great while it lasted."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

NextWave has the best equipment that money can buy. They went through a lot of funding but made sure that the engineers were well cared for and had the infrastructure in place to support them. There are some opportunities to get into line management, if you enjoy that sort of thing. The work atmosphere is pretty laid back, and there are many flexible options for working at home, including VPN access and company issued laptops. All in all, they do a good job in giving us the tools necessary to accomplish our work. Management doesn't give undue pressure either; they work with us, instead of against us.

Cons

The company made some serious mistakes in acquiring other businesses. Not sure what the end-game is for our division, but it is not looking very pretty now. It seems that they went through their money too quickly, trying to catch up in a market that has yet to materialize. We accomplished some great things in the short period of time that we've been around, but with the downturn in the economy and the lack of a market, the timing was just not in our favor to keep the company going in this climate. Perhaps there's a chance something will occur soon, but it's doubtful.

Advice to Management

Don't buy other companies.

6. "good employees; senior management"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

1. Some of the smartest individual contributors I have worked with.
    2. very social employees, who communicate well, share knowledge
    3. very good benefits (health, dental insurace payed for by employee)

Cons

1. senior management not very communicative about financing, burn rate, or plans to acquire other companies or acquisitions

Advice to Management

1. should put more focus on core competencies

7. "Achieved so much, lets hope it's not over..."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

The technical teams in all areas are excellent, it's just fun to work with motivated, experienced and smart people. ASICs are designed with special features, they come back and just work. An integration team with both experienced telecom industry oldtimers and smart and driven newcomers. As opposed to working at some of my previous employers I feel I am appreciated, and it also shows in salary and promotion (and not just empty words). Even though teh company has been growing very fast in the few years it's operational, management structure has been kept flat, and I'd believe we're still pretty efficient.

Cons

I can't see any downsides directly affecting work at Nextwave. But externally there is certainly the uncertainty regarding the WiMax market, a lot depends on Xohm succeeding, which shoud create a lot of demand for devices and thus chipsets. And we seem to have a highly competitive package compared to what is out there already. And, if you read the last quarterly report, there are also financial problems coming into play. Regarding this the future is uncertain, and obviously anybody thinking about hiring up would need to weigh the possibilities against the possibility of being out of a job sometime in the near future.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice...

8. "Great environment to work in and a talented set of co-workers."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer/Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer/Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great set of people who are extremely smart and talented. Ideas are well received. Individuals are given a lot of flexibility to express their opinions and freedom to work. Expect long hours.

Cons

Stability and funding is an issue.

Advice to Management

Better vision and focus necessary. The current funding issues were mainly due to mismanagement and lack of vision.

9. "Good place to work, and there's a lot of work."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

First and foremost, everyone across all departments is helpful in achieving success at Nextwave. Whatever you need you can usually get it. Putting in long hours is never demanded, and I actually got a strange look from my boss when I told him I was coming in to work a weekend. But usually have to work long hours to get things done. Plenty of soda and other snacks to keep you going during the day. A lot of good people work here, which is a plus.

Cons

There's a lot of work to do, and you usually have to do it yourself, although everyone is willing to help. Pay is on par with other companies in area, which speaks for itself. Cliques do form there.

Advice to Management

Need more lower level help and resources.

10. "Interesting"

Former Employee - Senior ASIC Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior ASIC Engineer

Pros

Good Salary and interesting research and development work

Cons

Bad top-level management, waste of money

Advice to Management

Think

11. "good while it lasted, company had poor direction from up to"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

salaries are generally pretty good
    stock options and stock bonuses
    interesting work

Cons

hired too many employees at one point and company got bloated
    lead to massive layoffs and company is a shell of its formerself

Advice to Management

top management many some pretty poor decisions that has lead the company to the state it is in now... i.e. penny stock status