Nextag Reviews | Glassdoor

Nextag Reviews

Updated November 25, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management is biased & clueless (in 6 reviews)

• Inexperienced higher management, some times work pressure is high (in 4 reviews)

1. "Enjoyed the work at Nextag for 4 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nextag part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good for freshers to start their career

Cons

lack of employer benifit and some basic needs

"Good pay. Lousy motivation. No appreciation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Good pay, interesting directions, most of the people were nice

Cons

Lack of direction in IT

Advice to Management

Work as a team, and not focus on self-centered career goals

"I am Glad To be Next OUt !!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I like that fact they did have a monthly lunch celebration and they also have happy hours once in a while.

Cons

The commute is terrible. There is really no good food options in the area. This company has really high turn over. I have known more than a 30 people who left the company wiithin the first six months. I feel they have managers who do not know how to manager people. It seems like the upper manager in certain groups. do not know what is going on. I would suggest only taking a job here if you have no other offers. or if you are jobless and you just need a job. This not a career. They treat there employers really unfair. Alot of people gossip about each other and people are extremely clicks as well.

Advice to Management

I would suggest listening to people feed backs.

5. "I like the company culture, fun social events, great co-workers and most of all, getting to work with smart people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

great culture, fun, always somthing new to learn.

Cons

- growth potential is limited in various deparmtents

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Was a good experience"

Former Employee - Content Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Looking back at 2,5 years I spent at Nextag, I'm reflecting on my experience there, and what the company has given to me personally. For a newbie in the American labor market, it was a great company to work for. I learned the basics of corporate structure, modern technologies, and principles working within the team and across the teams. I had a pretty fair (at least, comparable) compensation for the work I did, and benefits were really good. I also found out that Nextag was a good name to put on my resume :)

Cons

What I didn't like, though, was the total absence of career opportunities. Irregardless how good you are and how hard you try, it isn't possible to move on within the company. There was no such concept as 'career ladder', I guess... The only way for me to grow was to leave, and that's what I did.
    The other thing that pushed me toward leaving was a luck of flexibility regarding working hours. Taking PTO hours for a dentist appointment - it was pretty ridiculous...

Advice to Management

Start all 1:1s with your directs with a simple question: "Are you happy?"

"worst colleagues ever"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I thought it was the compensation, until I realized that the competition was paying double and I left.

Cons

The most depressed employees I have ever encountered. From the CEO and VPs to all directors and managers these are losers that cannot appreciate talent and ideas.

"Depends on your position and team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- Depending on your team, great adoption of new technologies
    - Lots of new things happening, interesting projects
    - Nice office with full of snacks and monthly free lunches
    - Engineers get a Mac or a Dell laptop
    - Great PTO
    - HR really spends time on team building and employee morale boosting activities

Cons

- Some projects have management problems or incompetent managers
    - Compensation is not as good as it used to be

Advice to Management

- Have a clearer vision as to where the company is heading. If you do, please convey it better to the employees so that they can trust that vision.

"Dissatisfied"

Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant Temp in San Mateo, CA

Pros

New work place, Gym, cafeteria, location

Cons

Ex Orbitz and Leapfrog employees taking Management roles
     Headstrong managers
    Although management asks for review/suggestions, they are not ready to accept them and correct their mistakes
    Boot licking is accepted

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what the new hired managers are doing.

"Are you kidding me?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

The coffee machine and free chips.
    Nice office and furniture.
    Monthly free lunches.
    Some smart and cool people to work with.

Cons

Nextag used to be a place where everyone worked hard for a common goal. Now it is very political. You must be considered a fun and happy person to get anywhere. Hard work no longer matters. Senior managers make uninformed decisions about employees without even knowing what they do. Employees are not appreciated, or the wrong ones are.

Advice to Management

A lot of knowledge has left the company with so many employees leaving. You should rethink about who you will force out. Senior managers should get to know their team themselves and not base it on what they hear from others.

"Only work here if you are going for a high position...otherwise beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

The pros were free food and some amazing co-workers that I will definitely keep in touch with and I did learn some very useful technology. Everything else basically sucked and at this point there are 2-3 people leaving on a weekly basis .

Cons

Nextag in itself has a lot of potential as a company, but seems that it is not going on the right path. The management is absolutely rude, ridiculous and the politics are insane here. If the manager doesn’t like you… they will make your life a living hell and there will be nothing you can do about it other than look elsewhere for a job. The words “hostile work environment” and “drama” come to mind (but this was only in my department and I can’t speak for the others). Sure you can talk to HR, which I did and it made things better for a while, but in the end it seemed like a dead end job. Nextag IS trying to change and be a more friendly and fun place to work so maybe down the line things will improve.

The manager of my department treated us like remedial children with constant check ins and micromanaging. You will not get any recognition at Nextag no matter how hard you work and a promotion will not happen for 2-3 years (unless you are in a high position then you wouldn’t care anyway). This year nobody even got a raise (the raise is usually a miniscule percentage anyway) and if you work hard and get a good review you will be honored with the TINIEST bonus I have ever seen in my life…it’s a complete joke.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees like human being with kindness and respect and stop the politics going on around the office!!!